Best cleaning oils for short OCIs

I have an Audi Q5 with the 2.0 liter DI turbo that has a similar issue and I'm considering using that Valvoline Blue Restore 10w-30 oil that was developed for Cummins engines. It supposedly has a lot of esters or something to clean the piston rings. It's expensive (approx. $75 for 5 quarts). I have not yet been able to find a source for it yet though. Thanks for the reminder for me to get searching for it!
My coworker has a 2013 A4 with the 2.0. It's using a qt per 500-600 miles now. About 130k miles I think, all highway driving.

Thats nuts. I’d be mad. No excuse for that, IMHO.
He is. He won $100,000 one day when I was working with him. He was driving a 2006 Ford Taurus at the time which he probably would never have replaced but he was divorced and trying to meet women so he wanted a nice car to make him look better. He's definitely paid for it in repairs.

I’ve used this VPBR stuff twice.

1) it’s still available. It’s still ~$74/gal (cough), just ask all the CYA questions if your location says they have to special order it, or it may be even more. Tonight I saw an eBay ad for it at $105.

2) If you want it, find a “substantial” Cummins location...I don’t know, maybe Grand Priaire, TX (suburb of Dallas) is a regional location???. I’ve had mixed results with calling the national number, but face-to-face with local people in Grand Prairie has been great. I walked in unannounced, and within a few minutes I was walking out with 3 gal. (The 3 gals are intended for summer of 2021 and summer of 2022, or maybe even more spaced out than that. I need 1.5 gal per fill. Running it that often might be overkill, but my engine has a fuel dilution problem.)

Last year, I tried to get it closer to home: Ft Worth. It was not a pleasant experience, took a couple tries to get it ordered, they botched the 1st attempt, and when it finally arrived, I got stiffed for an additional $20 shipping (for 1 gal).

The time before that, it went smoothly....but in Grand Prairie again...though I did have to set up an account.

3) There are a couple different part #’s: 877377 & 4337621, both right on the jug. I think the receipt had the 877377 #, but they did have a little trouble finding it in their system...but they had it!!

4) I’m not qualified to tell you it will fix YOUR problem, but it appears to be super stout oil, based on a couple of my UOA’s, and it’s claim to fame is it’s cleaning capability. Supposedly it is high in POE, which might be why/how it “cleans.”

Funny, but nowhere in this thread so far has anyone suggested a scheme of whacky products.
OP wants to clean his engine. They make flushes for this purpose that are perfectly safe. Recommendations for running different oils (Valvoline blue somethign or other) that aren't even at the spec his car takes it seems in some fashion one after the other...yes, it has been. Not familiar with "Kreen" but that is a flush product for-purpose. Motor oil itself is not a flush/cleaning product which has been mentioned by someone else here in this thread. Just run a can of Liquimoly Proline Engine Flush and be done with it.

Some engine flush from just being one more product of LM is not exactly focused on clearing up this situation while VPBR is principally a true candidate. More serious cleaners might still want to be poured through the plug holes and take quite some time over the processes instead of offering a mere liqueasy listening and 15m of idle before oil change. Whatever you may come up with between Zoom-Zoom and Toyota, Caramba and Ballistol or even something on A, you'll be more after soaking than after flushing. Unless buying more LM was the prime name of the game.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 with slight oil burning - around 1qt/3k. Seems like the issue is badly designed low tension piston rings with small grooves, where carbon can plug up the drain holes. I want to clean them out without pulling the pistons and changing the rings.

Sure, a flush could work - I'm considering that. But I think its safer to use high quality cleaning oils with short OCIs to slowly remove the gunk.

So, I have two questions:

1. Could high-detergent oils over short OCIs clean up carbon buildup on piston rings?
2. Any suggestions of oils with high-detergent compositions for this sort of situation?
I had the same issue with my low tension rings for my is350, now I dont know if this will work on yours but mine was probably babied and it sat for over a year and that made them to get stuck. I now give it some good WOT action and usually from a dead stop or on the highway, this was after the first 6 months since I didnt push it then on my first oci because I wanted to monitor the oil and see how much it burnt. I lost over a quart in a 5k oci, I have a thread regarding it but basically my consumption has dropped close to nothing and Im very happy with that.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 with slight oil burning - around 1qt/3k. Seems like the issue is badly designed low tension piston rings with small grooves, where carbon can plug up the drain holes. I want to clean them out without pulling the pistons and changing the rings.

Sure, a flush could work - I'm considering that. But I think its safer to use high quality cleaning oils with short OCIs to slowly remove the gunk.

So, I have two questions:

1. Could high-detergent oils over short OCIs clean up carbon buildup on piston rings?
2. Any suggestions of oils with high-detergent compositions for this sort of situation?
Try BG EPR.
Great for gummed up rings.

My coworker has a 2013 A4 with the 2.0. It's using a qt per 500-600 miles now. About 130k miles I think, all highway driving.
Worst engine ever made what a POS. That audi 2.0t.
We had one it also drank oil....crazy that audi has not done anything.
Bring a gallon of oil with you if you ever want to go on a road trip.

A guy I work with from time to time has an A4 (?) wagon with that gen motor - oil consumer big time he said. So much so that he had the piston rings done at some point to address it under warranty.

I'd also like to know a source for the VPBR.

A buddy at work has an Accord V6 that is using some oil and recently fouled a plug. I suggested VPBR from reading about it here, but a quick search online didn't reveal any sources. I even e-mailed Cummins via the "contact us" on their page, and the person who replied the next day said they'd never heard of it ( I read that VPBR was specifically developed to remedy oil consumption on a particular large Cummins diesel engine).

Only thing I could tell my buddy was to check with local tractor-trailer dealerships to see if any of them had it or could get it.
Our local Cummins Truck Service Center/Dealership had it in-stock.

A guy I work with from time to time has an A4 (?) wagon with that gen motor - oil consumer big time he said. So much so that he had the piston rings done at some point to address it under warranty.
My friend used to work at VW/Audi. He bought his wife a q5 with the same engine and he had to rebuild his own engine in the shop under warranty. His actually ran out of oil and blew up, not sure how. My coworker with the A4 knows nothing about cars but knows when the dash display says add oil he better do it.

My friend used to work at VW/Audi. He bought his wife a q5 with the same engine and he had to rebuild his own engine in the shop under warranty. His actually ran out of oil and blew up, not sure how. My coworker with the A4 knows nothing about cars but knows when the dash display says add oil he better do it.
Yes, the more I think on it, that's what happened to my buddy's - no oil/grenaded/covered.

... I bought it about a year ago at an excellent price, knowing what work had to be done ...though I definitely underestimated it with all these stupid lifetime fluids and now the oil burning....
Nothing more expensive than a cheap Volvo🤣

My father (against my wishes and advice) recently purchased a used 05 S60 2.5T with AWD. It has about 160k miles and given the price and cosmetic appearance of the vehicle, thought he really got himself a hidden gem.

Now the long distance calls are streaming in with questions on where to get parts, what fluids to use etc.
:rolleyes:

We had the VAG 2.0t in our 2009 Tiguan and hated it. I ended up using 5w40 in it to keep the consumption down. We had a lot of electrical connector fire issues as well.

Back