Best CJ4 motor oil for Semi

I have a 2013 Volvo D13 12.7 liter diesel engine. The manual calls for 15W-40 CJ4 oil. I'd like to purchase an oil based on the best protection, as these engine parts are extremely expensive to replace.
This truck runs mostly loaded at 70K pounds on and offroad. Since this is a new to me, its currently on Mobil 1 5w-40 ESP. I've since been a little worried, as it did not get approval from Ford for their trucks, for a reason, or just because of marketing for their brand oil.
I've used the new T6 15w-40 on another truck with an old 2002 caterpillar engine, and was impressed. For the first time in its life I did not need to add any more oil between oil changes, as it did not burn any this time around. Considering using this at the next oil change interval.
I'd like to get everyone's experience on both of these, or if you've researched other oil brands with good protection.

I have a 2013 Volvo D13 12.7 liter diesel engine. The manual calls for 15W-40 CJ4 oil. I'd like to purchase an oil based on the best protection, as these engine parts are extremely expensive to replace.
This truck runs mostly loaded at 70K pounds on and offroad. Since this is a new to me, its currently on Mobil 1 5w-40 ESP. I've since been a little worried, as it did not get approval from Ford for their trucks, for a reason, or just because of marketing for their brand oil.
I've used the new T6 15w-40 on another truck with an old 2002 caterpillar engine, and was impressed. For the first time in its life I did not need to add any more oil between oil changes, as it did not burn any this time around. Considering using this at the next oil change interval.
I'd like to get everyone's experience on both of these, or if you've researched other oil brands with good protection.
What about Delvac 15W40 extreme? Did you check that?

What about Delvac 15W40 extreme? Did you check that?

I just check the Delvac extreme 15w-40, and it does appear the viscosities are better, and the price per gallons seems to be better, which confuses me, better oil for less money.
Mobil 1 delvac esp specs.jpgmobil delvac extreme 15w-40.png

I've not been able to find any specs on this, other than it might be walmart supertech brand. Any specs available?
It’s most probably the same as Walmart’s super tech. I’ve noticed Delvac 15w40 synblend is $10/gal at Walmart

your truck is a 2013 so it is 7 years old. The oil rating has changed to CK4 for most HDEO's, so finding a CJ4 is going to be next to impossible. That being said these ratings are backwards compatible so you can run CK4 in a CJ4 engine.

Honestly, I would run what you like based on the operating environment. If you operate in colder climates pick a 5W40, if you are primarily above freezing temperatures run 15W40, either synthetic or conventional (most are synthetic blend now). I am in Iowa and run conventional Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 in my Cummins Ram. That being said I won't drive it if it's below 0F and it is garage stored.

Just my $0.02

the elusive owner operator has appeared. you sure you don’t want a 55 gallon drum of some bulk 15w40 that’s been sitting around for like 5 years? just pay shipping

After owning over 25 dump trucks and tractors my advice is that engine oil is the least of your concerns.

Rotella T4 or Delvac or Delo 15w40 are all within a flip of a coin of being 'Best'.

Pay more attention to clean fuel and clean air and status of your coolant and liners.

Unless you are extending drains beyond 10K use the big 3 above with confidence.

I do not see any benefit to using anything above what Traveller, Kirkland or Supertech or NAPA etc etc offer let alone the Big 3.. in your 2013 Volvo.

After owning over 25 dump trucks and tractors my advice is that engine oil is the least of your concerns.

Rotella T4 or Delvac or Delo 15w40 are all within a flip of a coin of being 'Best'.

Pay more attention to clean fuel and clean air and status of your coolant and liners.

I do not see any benefit to using anything above what Traveller, Kirkland or Supertech or NAPA etc etc offer let alone the Big 3.. in your 2013 Volvo.
Make a sticky with this post.

The OEM recommended oil change intervals on these newer truck start at 45,000 miles.
I was hoping someone had already ran these service intervals with a certain oil, and save me some time.

For future reference, if anyone is looking for CJ oil, Lucas still makes it.
AEAE13DC-5088-4052-B225-B912EC40A32D.jpeg

What makes you think you need elevated levels of ZDDP? There's significantly more to lubricant formulation than just ZDDP levels.
For the same reason racing oil has elevated ZDDP, antiwear in extreme use.
Ive also had one girlfriend, and that was ok, but what was even better, was when I had two of them.

Back