Best civic brake pads from RA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HKPolice

Also trying to decide between Centric 125 high carbon rotors vs Raybestos advanced technology rotors. I know both are made in China, but which one has a more durable E-coating? Does the high carbon alloy actually help against warping or pad deposits?

All NAO(which includes "ceramic") brake pads will always transfer a small amount of friction material to the rotors. Trav explained this and a good argument for not doing the break-in procedure that involves high-speed stops.

As I understand, high-carbon rotors are there to closer matched OEM "dampened iron" for NVH.

Agreed. Akebono Street Performance brake pads have been great on my Altima. The Thermoquiets lasted half the time on my rear brakes. My car is a front wheel drive car and I would have thought the front Akebono Street Performance pads would have worn quicker.

Originally Posted By: BrewCityR
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have a buddy that swears by RAYBESTOS "Professional Grade Ceramic" for his Honda's. Good bite and long(er) wear.
I too have had good success with RAYBESTOS but, I used the RAYBESTOS "Service Grade Ceramic" on my Nissan's. Also good bite and long wear.

Good info, thank you! Plan to try a set of Raybestos Service Grade Ceramics for my wife's CX-9.

Raybestos Service Grade pads are pretty much the equivalent of the $14.99 valucraft pads with a fancy label. I would be wary of using those on anything other than for a used car that is headed to the bargain lot.

If you buy Raybestos pads, you want to use their Element3 pads. We installed about 20 sets of them on various cars and they stopped well, but more than 1/2 of them got noisy within a few thousand miles. Since then, we have pretty much stuck with OE or Centric 105 if we are really in a pinch.

I'm late to the party, but for my '07 Fit I had a shop recommend and install this kit from Napa:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBK7497SSK1

It includes these pads for my vehicle:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RSSSS7497

So far, great wear rate and performance still after 40k miles and 2 years later.
thumbsup2.gif

If not the same part, maybe find the same offering for your model on their site. There is a sale currently. Compare price and see if it's something you'd like.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have a buddy that swears by RAYBESTOS "Professional Grade Ceramic" for his Honda's. Good bite and long(er) wear.
I too have had good success with RAYBESTOS but, I used the RAYBESTOS "Service Grade Ceramic" on my Nissan's. Also good bite and long wear.

Good info, thank you! Plan to try a set of Raybestos Service Grade Ceramics for my wife's CX-9.

Raybestos Service Grade pads are pretty much the equivalent of the $14.99 valucraft pads with a fancy label. I would be wary of using those on anything other than for a used car that is headed to the bargain lot.

If you buy Raybestos pads, you want to use their Element3 pads. We installed about 20 sets of them on various cars and they stopped well, but more than 1/2 of them got noisy within a few thousand miles. Since then, we have pretty much stuck with OE or Centric 105 if we are really in a pinch.

I was going to try eht3 next. Is it squeak noise?

Need new front pads for GF's 09 Civic DX sedan, the factory pair only lasted about 45k KM (28K miles) and the replacement set were wagner thermoquiets that had a similar longevity. Hoping to find something that can last for at least 60K KM.

I've heard great things about Akebono but AFAIK, their ProACT set is what Honda sells as OEM parts which weren't impressive.... Can anyone confirm/deny?

Advics also has a good rep but ideally I'd like to get a pair of GG friction rated pads instead of the standard FF rating and I'm 99% sure the Advics are FF since they follow OEM specs.

Does anyone know of a confirmed GG friction pads for the 8th Civic for sale on rockauto? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hond...,brake+pad,1684

Thanks in advance!

Use OE pads. If the original pads are only lasting 45k, the brakes are not being serviced nearly often enough! Do your Type B services! OE brakes should last 100k easy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Thanks for the input, I was also drawn to the raybestos EHT pads for their GG rating & low cost but read some bad reviews about excessive dusting & brake noise.

Are the Centric pads made in USA? What about Stoptechs? Would like to avoid China pads if possible.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Need new front pads for GF's 09 Civic DX sedan, the factory pair only lasted about 45k KM (28K miles) and the replacement set were wagner thermoquiets that had a similar longevity. Hoping to find something that can last for at least 60K KM.

I've heard great things about Akebono but AFAIK, their ProACT set is what Honda sells as OEM parts which weren't impressive.... Can anyone confirm/deny?

Advics also has a good rep but ideally I'd like to get a pair of GG friction rated pads instead of the standard FF rating and I'm 99% sure the Advics are FF since they follow OEM specs.

Does anyone know of a confirmed GG friction pads for the 8th Civic for sale on rockauto? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hond...,brake+pad,1684

Thanks in advance!

Use OE pads. If the original pads are only lasting 45k, the brakes are not being serviced nearly often enough! Do your Type B services! OE brakes should last 100k easy.

As the Critic pointed out, factory Honda pads from that era only last ~30k miles on average. More recent OE pads had their formula changed for longer life. Problem is that I'm not willing to pay $85 for OE pads when Akebono ProACT pads are $45 CAD from Rockauto and probably perform the same as OE.

Thanks for the input, I was also drawn to the raybestos EHT pads for their GG rating & low cost but read some bad reviews about excessive dusting & brake noise.

Are the Centric pads made in USA? What about Stoptechs? Would like to avoid China pads if possible.

The Stoptech pads are made in Taiwan. Some EHT pads are made in USA, some China. All of EBC's pads are made in England.

All Akebono ProACT and ASP pads are US-made
34.gif

As the Critic pointed out, factory Honda pads from that era only last ~30k miles on average. More recent OE pads had their formula changed for longer life. Problem is that I'm not willing to pay $85 for OE pads when Akebono ProACT pads are $45 CAD from Rockauto and probably perform the same as OE.

The ProACT is probably reboxed OE or very close to it. The ASP will give you a little more performance, but possibly shorter lifespan. Both are American -made
smile.gif

The ASP has amazing bite for a ceramic pad. I had pro stops from pep boys before and until you got them hot they were kinda scary. The ASP bites, and in a half second tighten up with no extra pedal and can throw you into the seatbelt. The are also very long wearing and not damaging to rotors. You can see the transfer layer they put down as a translucent haze on the rotor.

They were expensive but I have throughly enjoyed the high level of performance.

Bought Akebono ASP pads + Centric High carbon rotors. Should be arriving in a week or 2.

AFAIK, the Akebono pads don't include any abutment clips so I also ordered a new set of those too. Not sure if it was really necessary though?

Anyone have experience with the Centric high carbon rotors? I hope they're not just regular premium 120 rotors with different packaging....

Thanks for the input guys, keep them coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back