Best choice for daily driver & off-road?

I was highly considering the 4Runner as it is very reliable and good off road. At this point I have it down to ZR2, Ranger or 4Runner. Having a pickup bed is useful though over the SUV.

Do the new Tacos still have the low seat height? The driving a car feel killed it for us a few years ago.

Yea they still do. However I don't find it an issue as I'm only 5'8" and am used to low seating cars. They do make some affordable seat jacker kits to alleviate such issue. Yea I know a person shouldn't have to do that, buuuttt....

I was highly considering the 4Runner as it is very reliable and good off road. At this point I have it down to ZR2, Ranger or 4Runner. Having a pickup bed is useful though over the SUV.

You could always tow a trailer when you need to haul something that won't fit in a 4Runner. They have a 5k tow rating. My sister uses every bit of the payload and tow rating when she pulls her boat with her 4Runner.

Despite the dated platform, the 4Runner is not bad to drive at all IMO. Some of these YouTube reviewers are out of their minds.

"This transmission only has 5 gears and not 10, therefore it sucks." LOL That 5speed auto in the 4Runner is smooth.

981B552B-4218-4C74-8FC9-0BD3EF9D70F2.jpeg

I think the 2022 4Runner is supposed to be all new, I’d wait to see what that’s like.

Get a 4Runner and be done with it. You'll never regret the purchase, nobody who has owned one that I personally know has ever regretted the purchase. They are rock solid dependable, rugged, and hold their resale value well.
As for purchasing a first year model of a total redesign, I don't recommend that anybody do that, even on a Toyota product. There are always teething pains.

Get a 4Runner and be done with it. You'll never regret the purchase, nobody who has owned one that I personally know has ever regretted the purchase. They are rock solid dependable, rugged, and hold their resale value well.
As for purchasing a first year model of a total redesign, I don't recommend that anybody do that, even on a Toyota product. There are always teething pains.

They're solid reliable machines no doubt. There really isn't a bad choice here. I always come back to the ZR2 though.

half ton truck and a quad or side by side, maybe a dirt bike. Seriously, I’ve been all over the national forests in eastern WA, north Idaho, and west Montana in both a 1500 regular cab silverado with a truetrac and open front diff and a two door Rubicon, and I never went anywhere with the Rubicon that I couldn’t have gone with the Silverado. You’re limited as much by the physical size of the vehicle as anything. If a road is open for passenger vehicles, any 4x4 will do it. Otherwise, it will be a hiking or ATV trail only.

Any full frame 4x4 with e-rated tires, a tow strap, tire chains, and a chainsaw is my recommendation. Winches are nice but really the forest roads are maintained well enough you will never need one. A chainsaw and tow strap will save your butt when a tree gets blown down over the road, though.

All this assumes you’re going exploring and not just wanting to go to the off-road park to drive over obstacles. That’s a whole different deal, and I can’t see why anybody would take a new vehicle to do that sort of thing. But maybe that’s what you have in mind?

Have fun, be careful, if you go exploring by yourself, take an emergency beacon.

I know on the Taco you cant use the locker while in hi range. Is the 4Runner the same?

There are mods to allow using the locker in 2wd, and 4hi in both Tacomas and 4Runners.

In stock form, both only allow locker use in 4lo.

I've got to admit that the Colorado ZR2 Diesel is an EPIC CHOICE. That is one superb truck. A friend has one and I've come to absolutely love it. This coming from me, a guy who has 3ea. F150's, 2 of which are high end 4x4's. Just don't expect it to be luxurious. It's not a luxury truck, although it is quite comfortable, it is an immensely capable and efficient truck.

Back