Best cheap tires for 2006 dodge durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
kind of low on $$$, but with winter coming i'll probably need tires specially that the truck is only a 2 wheel drive any sugestions?

Check with several tire shops in your area and see if they have any takeoffs that will meet your needs.

Often people for whatever reason will buy a new vehicle and change the rims - tires and you can get tires like new for often a good price.

Have found them sometimes too @ dealers.

Save $ and buy something with better quality and longevity. Michelin LTX MS comes to mind.

"Best" and "cheap" are hard to come by
wink.gif
If you have a salvage yard near by, you could check there, and see if they got any....though some of the yards simply take the tires off on-arrival, for "processing" (be it rubber mulch, or sold off for used tire sales if condition permits).....

I don't know how your credit is, but my local WM has been advertising no interest for 12 months, for purchases over $299 - good promotion for tires, since depending on size, can easily add up to $299 for a set of 2 or 4 :p Just be sure and pay your minimum monthly payments on time, or they will tack on the interest at the end.......if you were to miss a payment.

Originally Posted By: aztec12
kind of low on $$$, but with winter coming i'll probably need tires specially that the truck is only a 2 wheel drive any sugestions?

I just got some coopers for my jeep commander at america's tire. I like them ride nice. The size was 245\65\r17 around 125$ a tire.

There are a good many tire size options for a 2WD Durango. What is your tire size?

Edit: I'll assume that it's the "base" 245/70R17 size. The Firestone Destination LE is one of your best "cheap tire" options. It does most things well, though it's not a chart-topper in any one area. A better choice than the Firestone, at nearly the same price, is the General Grabber HTS. It scores better than the Firestone in CR's testing, and is just $2 more per tire on Tire Rack. Either of these should be readily available to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

There are a good many tire size options for a 2WD Durango. What is your tire size?

Edit: I'll assume that it's the "base" 245/70R17 size. The Firestone Destination LE is one of your best "cheap tire" options. It does most things well, though it's not a chart-topper in any one area. A better choice than the Firestone, at nearly the same price, is the General Grabber HTS. It scores better than the Firestone in CR's testing, and is just $2 more per tire on Tire Rack. Either of these should be readily available to you.

I will agree with the 2 tires above being good chocies for someone on a budget who needs good tires and sees some bad weather. I would go as far as to say even if you weren't on a budget they are good choices. Both perform as well as more costly AS tires although the HTS will not last as long as a LTX M+S but the LE's will hang in there with them.

Most people with HTS's get 40-50K and most people with LE's get 60K+ as long as the PSI is kept at the proper level and regular rotations are done. Not everyone likes the LE's( there is a guy on this site who had bad luck with the LE's on his Ford SUV who I know will jump in and say they stink )but most people do. I have run 3 sets on 3 different vehicles and they have been the best tires I have ever run and I always run quality tires. IMO the LE is better than the LTX M+S's which I have run many times as well to have a valid comparison basis.

Back to the LE vs HTS. From what I have seen the LE's are a little better in the snow than the HTS as well. Either one is a good choice though if you can find one a lot cheaper than the other. If prices were equal or close I would go with the LE hands down as they will last longer( should anyway ).

Last edited:
Look in your owner's manual for your speed rating. It's ok to get a tire with a higher speed rating but its never a good idea to get a tire with a lower speed rating. Here is a speed rating chart on Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

It's also hard to tell you what tires to get because I don't know your driving style. If you want a long tread life and smooth, quiet ride, then I would recommend a passenger tire. If you want maximum handling and grip, I would recommend a performance tire. If you want a combination of both, I recommend a touring tire. If you have a light truck or SUV, get a LT tire (light truck).

If you live in a rainy environment, a tire with a directional tread pattern will give you more hydroplaning resistance.

Tires are something you don't want to cheap out on. They are the most important thing on your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
If you have a light truck or SUV, get a LT tire (light truck).

One has to be careful when recommending "LT" tires. You don't want to put a true LT tire on a vehicle that came with P-metric tires...load and inflation tables are different.

"LT" in the general sense, meaning "light truck" tires, as in Firestone Destination LE, et al, I agree with. But not an LT-sized tire, such as LT245/70R17. In this case, a P245/70R17 is the appropriate tire specification.

I don't like using the abbreviation LT because it's confusing. Someone can take it to mean the "Light Truck" tire segment, or someone can take it to mean an LT-size specification (like LT245/70R17).

Other than lousy treadwear, The Destination LE's will probably work fine in North Carolina. I'm the guy referred to - after a little over 30,000 miles, my LE's on my explorer are shot (around 5/32 of tread at this point), and they were terrible in the snow. The Wilderness AT and Goodyear Wrangler RTS that were used on the same vehicle in the same use both lasted well over 60,000 miles for reference. We also no longer use the LE in our fleet application (Explorers and F150s for the most part) due to complaints about winter traction and lousy treadlife. We generally use the Destination AT's, with better treadlife and winter performance now - we aren't biased against firestone in general.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Other than lousy treadwear, The Destination LE's will probably work fine in North Carolina. I'm the guy referred to - after a little over 30,000 miles, my LE's on my explorer are shot (around 5/32 of tread at this point), and they were terrible in the snow. The Wilderness AT and Goodyear Wrangler RTS that were used on the same vehicle in the same use both lasted well over 60,000 miles for reference. We also no longer use the LE in our fleet application (Explorers and F150s for the most part) due to complaints about winter traction and lousy treadlife. We generally use the Destination AT's, with better treadlife and winter performance now - we aren't biased against firestone in general.

Firestone must sell a different LE in MN or something then. The LE's are great in snow.
21.gif

Last edited:
Check craigslist the in your area. I have found some great deals on tires there. My last set of like new BFG AT's were found for $300 which is less than half retail. I ended up getting 55k out of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back