best car to buy for 5 grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Japanese cars had their own problem areas too.
just not nearly as many occurances

Not as many occurences? I've personally owned a Honda accord had Tranny issues amongst other things distrib, motor mounts ect. Toyotas had sludge issues and allignment issues. They all have trouble but domestics are generally cheaper to fix. I was pretty sure the late 90s Taurus had Tranny issues. I was thijking she would line a 02 and up Taurus though. I believe those are better

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Didn't Taurus have transmission issues?

No, only Hondas have transmission problems.

Once had a round-body Sable whose life was cut short, no issues at all, dang good car. Did NOT have Duratec engine. Had the other 3.0.

It was hit by another car and wrecked, if that hadnt have happened it would be great. Everyone says that car has issues. I have had the exact opposite experience.

I have heard of Civic and Accords having transmission issues.. twice. If its not a 1998-2002 or an "Acura RL" id feel comfortable in getting it. Acura RLs have issues, as a result of having too many electrical contraptions on it, too fast. Most car magazines that tested it have said this, and its an average car. Better cars surely are out there.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Grand Marquis/Town Car/Crown Vic are pretty much bulletproof.

Except for the spark plug threads.
smile.gif

Spark plugs like to unscrew themselves in certain years and require a costly thread replacement. It just happened to a Crown Vic owned by my friend. You have to be careful that the plugs are installed correctly.

All these threads about "what car for $XXXX" don't make much sense to me. I've bought quite a few cars in that price range. When spending that little, I think it's more important to get the best bargain you can, rather than focus on a specific model.

What I look for is the overall condition, mileage, maintenance, etc. over the make/model.

However, there definitely are ones to avoid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Grand Marquis/Town Car/Crown Vic are pretty much bulletproof.

Except for the spark plug threads.
smile.gif

Spark plugs like to unscrew themselves in certain years and require a costly thread replacement. It just happened to a Crown Vic owned by my friend. You have to be careful that the plugs are installed correctly.

All these threads about "what car for $XXXX" don't make much sense to me. I've bought quite a few cars in that price range. When spending that little, I think it's more important to get the best bargain you can, rather than focus on a specific model.

What I look for is the overall condition, mileage, maintenance, etc. over the make/model.

However, there definitely are ones to avoid.

Pre-'03 and that happened to all Modular-equipped vehicles. And depending on where you get it fixed will determine if it is costly or not. I had to have one hole repaired on the Expedition. Was done through the dealer and wasn't bad price-wise.

What about a (4 cyl only) mid 2000's Sebring or Stratus that has been well maintained? I liked the Cobalt suggestion also.

When you get down to that price range it is condition more than the actual make/model (IMO)

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
just so you know if you are looking at GM 3000 series engines, be prepared to change intake manifold gaskets if they have not been done yet. Also 3800 oil pan gaskets are common leakers as well. Not cheap when you need to drop the subframe to change 'em. Give it a good once over top to bottom before you commit to anything. I personally would be looking into Japanese cars.

You should watch me do a pan gasket then. I have yet to drop subframe to change one. Disconnected and lowered the rear two, just like doing a steering rack in just about any front wheel drive. Anyone dropping the whole engine cradle/sub frame has not done it before.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Anyone dropping the whole engine cradle/sub frame has not done it before.
Or just a GM tech at a dealership
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Anyone dropping the whole engine cradle/sub frame has not done it before.
Or just a GM tech at a dealership
wink.gif

More hours to bill....

I'd also stick with the domestics: Taurus, Sable, Malibu, Impala, etc. You won't buy much Camry or Accord for that money. They'll be well into the 100K mi range.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Didn't Taurus have transmission issues?

Yep, we had a 2000 with the Vulcan that had one torque converter and one total tranny rebuild in 90k miles!!

GM 60° V6's have chronic intake gasket problems. I'm sure someone posted this above, I was too lazy to look. Nonetheless, it's important enough to read it twice. As others have said, the 3800's (90° V6's) are rock solid and a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back