Best car for new driver: 05 Avenger, 05 Dakota,

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-cylinder Rangers are VERY good little trucks. Lots of people on here have had good experiences with them.

Just use caution at the beginning of rain storms. My Ranger was VERY tail happy until the road oil washed away. If you're looking for something with limited power, a Ranger with the 2.3 is your ticket.

Avenger? Dakota?

I'm not familiar with SC, but where I live, I'd rather walk than drive either of those.

But if I had to pick, it'd be the Avenger.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Avenger no question. Don't buy a 16 year old boy a truck or SUV for his 1st vehicle. Recipe for disaster. As to the comments that the Dakota will hold fewer people you obviously were never a 16 year old boy with a truck bed. The STUPID and DANGEROUS stuff I did at 16 in an open truck bed scares me now to think about it. Kids these days as a rule are even stupider than we were. Stick with the FWD car.

The big difference today is that its flat-out illegal to ride in the bed of a truck in most areas (certainly all areas I'm aware of). And the cops will stop you PRONTO for that, no question, no ambiguity, no leniency. That's just not going to be a problem like it might have been when we were kids.

Of course I grew up around trucks, everyone I knew grew up around trucks, and even when it was legal we didn't ride in the bed of trucks. We spent too much time *working* with trucks to be amused with riding around in the bed of one for grins.

I wondered if there was actually a law against it here. I see Mexicans riding around in the beds of trucks all the time heading to and from job sites. I think I'd prefer it to being stuffed in the cab with the other 5.

In NC it is perfectly legal to ride in the bed of a truck if you are over the age of 16 or something like that. I can't remember the exact age where it becomes legal, but it definitely is. We used to do it all the time in high school and never got pulled over for it.

Not illegal to ride in the bed here last I knew. See it all the time in the summer.

Not illegal to ride in the bed here last I knew. See it all the time in the summer.

It ought to be illegal. It's an incredibly dumb idea. What if the pick-up had to make a panic stop? The occupants of the bed could potentially hurt themselves. Not very smart, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
He wants a 2005 Mustang GT fastback.

So do I, but I'm 43 and have a really good job...

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I wondered if there was actually a law against it here. I see Mexicans riding around in the beds of trucks all the time heading to and from job sites. I think I'd prefer it to being stuffed in the cab with the other 5.

It just got more stringent in Texas, but I forget the exact wording. It used to be illegal for anyone 16 or under to ride in the bed of a truck over some speed, now its illegal *period* under some age, and I think maybe the age limit went up. Plus I think there's now some maximum speed for adults in the bed of a truck. I see FAR less of it than I used to.

I agree that if there are any places where its still legal, then it wouldn't be good for a kid. Maybe my assumption that Texas had to be the last state in the union to start banning riding in the bed of a truck was wrong. Although I know its illegal on all federal installations and in CA and several other states.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

It ought to be illegal. It's an incredibly dumb idea. What if the pick-up had to make a panic stop? The occupants of the bed could potentially hurt themselves. Not very smart, IMO.

I agree totally hence me saying a 16 year old boy has no business owning a truck as a 1st vehicle.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I think his dad should let him make a list of cars that he wants and then choose the most appropriate car from that list. If he likes any of the original three cars then that's great, but I know that if it were me I wouldn't enjoy a car as much if I didn't like it in the first place. Don't get him a Mustang or Camaro or else he'll have more chances of getting into trouble, but make sure he likes the car. That's just my opinion

This above makes the most sense..I do agree pick up trucks should be off the table as others have said here.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Avenger? Dakota?

I'm not familiar with SC, but where I live, I'd rather walk than drive either of those.

But if I had to pick, it'd be the Avenger.

Well you would drive one, then start walking when the trans takes a dump.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back