Best by Jun 19 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consumed Jun 23 2019.
Can of vegetable soup with beef stock, Ralph's.
Tasted old and can-ny.
I've asked my wife to go through the cupboard and toss all the old cans.

IMG_20190623_080706.jpg

Originally Posted by gathermewool
You at that!?

Nope, I think he ate it. It's best by Jun 19 2008, not expires Jun 19 2008. Probably etable for 100 years if sealed, doesn't mean you would want to though. Soup for breakfast? You'll know by afternoon if it was OK.

Just heard a bit on ??? that Americans toss a lot of edible food which has greenhouse effects more than car emissions and that best by codes aren't worth much of anything. If the can's not buldging it's probably okay.

???=Probably NPR can't be sure

Last edited:
Why toss them if you're going to eat them? Think how much is invested with interest?

We'd go through my parents cupboards and fridg and toss old stuff and later on still find stuff 5 years old. Must have had a secret stash.

Having had "minor" food poisoning I'll eat nothing past a date don't care what anyone says. And forget potluck food of unknown origin.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably etable for 100 years if sealed, doesn't mean you would want to though. .

Well, probably edible for 100 years,,,,
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Probably etable for 100 years if sealed, doesn't mean you would want to though.

YES, as long as the can isn't bulging - it is edible.

Though (as mentioned) the taste can change a lot.

Originally Posted by Eddie
If you ever had a really bad case of food poisoning like I had, you'd toss it in the garbage. Ed

Expired cans aren't going to give you food poisoning. You'll know if it's bad before/when you open it.

Use a Sharpie Marker and write the Month & Year (of purchase) on all canned foods.

I have canned foods (for Winter EMERGENCYS) to last 2 Weeks.
Then they slowly get eaten in Spring, Summer & Fall.

3:30p: It appears I'm okay. I didn't know it was that old before I ate it. Went looking for the can.
When I saw how old it was I figured I'd commit it to BITOG.

Why would you buy so much that you still have it around 11 years after the best/use by date? I can see a couple weeks or maybe even a month or two, but it's not that hard to keep food storage rotated.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Why would you buy so much that you still have it around 11 years after the best/use by date? I can see a couple weeks or maybe even a month or two, but it's not that hard to keep food storage rotated.

Our cabinets are dark. There's a rotating table in one that doesn't rotate, and occasionally things get knocked off of it and fall
into the deep back region. California has earthquakes every so often and that can knock things around.
That said, my wife does the organizing, and in the past I've cleaned out the cabinets of old/expired stock,
but mainly I was looking for things that come in cardboard boxes, because tiny bugs eat through them and
lay eggs. I haven't hunted for old cans yet. (She threw out maybe 20 more cans because of this.)

My mom was a hoarder; lots of expired things on the shelves. I guess it doesn't surprise me to see expired groceries.

Since this is BITOG, how often do you check greases, glues, adhesives, markers, paint, for expired stock, as well as medicines?
It's hard to keep up.
Oh, there's still unopened bottles of vodka we got when we moved in. I don't drink.

Quote: Since this is BITOG, how often do you check greases, glues, adhesives, markers, paint, for expired stock, as well as medicines?

I write the expiration dates on the 'front' of medication bottles & boxes.
Check medicine cabinet every Fall (start of flu season).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back