Best Buck for Buck Sport Cars for 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love my integra...i would recommend an integra gsr...the rawness, 8.1k rpm redline and handling will blow you away. Its not always about speed but these gsr's with some bolt ons are capable of high 14's.

There is also the Nissan 240SX.

It's not going to be powerful with a KA24 small truck engine, but even the single cam 12 valve KA24E, it's a fun car.

The only problem really is that it was the only affordable Japanese front engine RWD sport compact. (The Celica went FWD in late '85, the Isuzu Impulse went FWD/AWD in '90, The Starion ceased to exist in '89, and the RX-2 and RX-3 ceased to exist in the '70s.) It suffered the same fate as the Corolla AE86. Lot's of modifications and lots of hard lives by a bunch of kids that watched too much Initial D.

Originally Posted By: Chrisfromalbany
Originally Posted By: eljefino
What's more important, power or handling? Sounds like power. One of the later 1990s camaros would have that in spades.

Do you hope to drive this in the snow?

guess alittle of both.. never thought about a old camaro..

Good point there. Even the old IrocZ's of the early 80's you could get the L98 350 and we all know the potential of the good old Chevy small block.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: eljefino
What's more important, power or handling? Sounds like power. One of the later 1990s camaros would have that in spades.

Do you hope to drive this in the snow?

guess alittle of both.. never thought about a old camaro..

Good point there. Even the old IrocZ's of the early 80's you could get the L98 350 and we all know the potential of the good old Chevy small block.

Most of these cars habe beat interior or was asking an arm and a leg price wise. Hard find one decent shape, V8, and manual. Many of them are rusted out.

Is this for a reliable DD too? Then something fwd like the 2000+ 2.4L ION3 or Neon R/T is pretty hard to beat for a little fun, just don't race any minivans... If you go even older you can get a SL2 or 1st gen Neon with lots of money to buy suspension parts and bolt ons if you like.
For a second car/toy I've seen turbo'd track toy miatas go for around $5k. You just need to be able to work on them once in a while as usually they have high mileage.

Of the cars mentioned so far I'd vote for the Miata despite its lack of power.

You aren't going to find a decent MR2 for under $12k. The 240 is great with rough roads if you have those, but in NY you have to keep in mind that you can't use it in winter or it will rot away in two or three years. The S2000 is a compromise between the Miata and the 240.

Other than that, all suggestions have been for cars that aren't sports cars.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
'96-'98 GTs

Imo,this would be your *best bang for your buck* sportscar. And it HAS to be a standard. Don`t waste your money or time on an automatic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Is this for a reliable DD too? Then something fwd like the 2000+ 2.4L ION3 or Neon R/T is pretty hard to beat for a little fun, just don't race any minivans... If you go even older you can get a SL2 or 1st gen Neon with lots of money to buy suspension parts and bolt ons if you like.
For a second car/toy I've seen turbo'd track toy miatas go for around $5k. You just need to be able to work on them once in a while as usually they have high mileage.

I wouldn't do straight Neon, had one years ago R/T version. And currently have a saturn ion3 w/246K miles and 5 speed, so looking for something else. I mite keep three cars in the stable or mite night.

2011 GT Brembo Standard
2006 Saturn Ion3 Standard
Selling 2000 Jeep Grand Limited

And there was a time when younger when drove a 88 GT Mustang without heater core during winter.. so I have been known be alittle on the crazy side for sports cars.

Last edited:
The Miata is the answer to everything. Really. They're cheap to operate, easy to work on, extremely reliable, and FUN. There is a reason every track you go to has a bunch of them running around. I have a '99 that I flog regularly. It's seen about 70 days on track the last two years and hasn't skipped a beat.

Here's video from last Friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMMnUbPFm0

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
The Miata is the answer to everything. Really. They're cheap to operate, easy to work on, extremely reliable, and FUN. There is a reason every track you go to has a bunch of them running around. I have a '99 that I flog regularly. It's seen about 70 days on track the last two years and hasn't skipped a beat.

robert

That`s awesome! I used to live about a mile away from TWS. I always loved going out there and watching the events. I really miss it :^(

Originally Posted By: robertcope

robert

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Mazd...e#ht_500wt_1182

sellers comments..
It's never cut out and not start again but I can't guarentee anything. I have put it away but can take it back out if you are serious about it. If you email me at [email protected] I will get all your messages faster as I don't check this very often.
Thanks,
Pam

sellers comments..

Runs if I warm it up for a while. My mechanic has had me do a few things but I've been too busy to get the car to him as he lives an hour away. Planning on storing it before the storm and quite frankly just sick of dealing with it, he replaced the engine and put a new clutch in it a few months ago and it ran great until I didn't run it.

Last edited:
What kind of use will it see?
For straight line speed you can't really beat the SRT-4 for cost to own and ease of modding. (If you're into it) For a grand or 2 you can make 300 reliable WHP from that car. They are no joke.

Something like Miata or S2000 would be more fun to drive in the twisties though.

Runs if I warm it up for a while. My mechanic has had me do a few things but I've been too busy to get the car to him as he lives an hour away. Planning on storing it before the storm and quite frankly just sick of dealing with it, he replaced the engine and put a new clutch in it a few months ago and it ran great until I didn't run it.

Personally, I would move along to something less sketchy. There are plenty of Miatas for sale that have not been mangled and that run well as sold.

robert

Reality check:

An autotrader search for an SRT Neon and WRX for $5k results in basically nada NATIONWIDE, unless you want a WRX w/ 235k miles.

Do you actually think you can get a sports car for $5k that is newer than 2000? Miata's date back to the 90's at least and can be found cheap.

A 3000gt? I just don't think $5k is enough to play. Most people are happy to find a reliable, economy car at that price. A $5k sports car will likley be a money pit. More fun can be had in Vegas with that loot - want it to last - take pics for the memories.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Wow, that track looks pretty bumpy!

A lot of that is the mount that I'm using, I just got a new camera and the new mount isn't that well secured. That said, there are some definite inperfections in the track surface, as well. That's part of this track's character!

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back