Best brand of aftermarket wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Equinox is whirring and I figured out it was the front wheel bearing. I ended up ordering the OEM part over aftermarket but was curious what the BITOGers think about aftermarket wheel bearings. I did some googling and heard that the Delcos are rebadged timkens. Is that true?

I generally try to grab either SKF, Timken, NSK, or Koyo. National is the same as Timken, but they tend to be "Made in Korea" rather than "Made in USA". Don't know if that affects the quality, but it is a difference.

Originally Posted By: mtd240
I generally try to grab either SKF, Timken, NSK, or Koyo. National is the same as Timken, but they tend to be "Made in Korea" rather than "Made in USA". Don't know if that affects the quality, but it is a difference.

Unfortunately, most of these bearings are all about the same in longevity in normal use - OEM or these - not a big difference in life. Use whichever can be procured at the best cost.

BurrWinder

For some reason, I'm thinking that Timken actually got out of the wheel bearing business some time ago. They still license their name to slap on somebody else's product.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
For some reason, I'm thinking that Timken actually got out of the wheel bearing business some time ago. They still license their name to slap on somebody else's product.

Possibly to some extent. I just bought a set of Timken bearings for the Pilot, and they were OEM identical NTN bearings in the boxes.

If its a press in bearing I only use name brand ones like national, Timken, skf, and now [censored].

If its a bolt hub that does not require to much removal to get to then I let the customer decide based on price.

I have bought them from amazon and rockauto. I would not pay for a "oem" as it will be made by probably one of the larger name brands just at a higher cost.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
If its a press in bearing I only use name brand ones like national, Timken, skf, and now [censored].

If its a bolt hub that does not require to much removal to get to then I let the customer decide based on price.

I have bought them from amazon and rockauto. I would not pay for a "oem" as it will be made by probably one of the larger name brands just at a higher cost.

my application is a bolt on. The Delco Original Equipment was 135, Timken was 100 and SKF was 143. I figure why not try the OEM as there isn't a huge difference in cost

Haha... the last bearing I was talking about is F A G but I guess that's a censored word even though it is a german bearing company.
smile.gif

http://www.[censored].com/content.[censored].de/en/index.jsp

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

my application is a bolt on. The Delco Original Equipment was 135, Timken was 100 and SKF was 143. I figure why not try the OEM as there isn't a huge difference in cost

GM or AC delco...there is a difference..

Yes,if you can get F.A.G. bearing for your ap then go for it.A dollar wise analogy would be like paying for a Mercedes but getting a Rolls.

Any thing which is not made in China. I doubt you can find anything else so brand shouldn't matter.The name brands seemed to made in China. A very sad thing to see.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Any thing which is not made in China. I doubt you can find anything else so brand shouldn't matter.The name brands seemed to made in China. A very sad thing to see.

Its getting tougher to find US, Canada, Japanese and Euro bearings in the US anymore regardless of manufacturer.
National is now Moog and from what i have seen Chinese no name, stay well clear of that junk unless it has USA on the bearing then its NOS and very good.

F A G is still making bearings in Germany for European use but for the US a lot of them are Chinese or Mexican production.
I needed rear VW hubs, the ones from the dealer were Mexico the OE was German F A G.
I ordered a set in Germany and had my son ship them. F A G made in Germany.

I look at AZ for NOS Timken, you have to look at the bearing not the box for the COO or ebay for NOS "Made in USA" hubs and bearings from Timken, SKF, OE etc.
Ordering from Beck & Arnley is sketchy now and ordering from Rock is a gamble. There is a good chance the bearing will be Chinese.

49.gif

Would someone please fix this dam filter for the word F A G! On this forum it pertains to bearings not puffs.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

GM or AC delco...there is a difference..

Bluestream is asking the correct question.

Genuine GM parts from the dealer may not be the same as AC Delco branded aftermarket parts.

Haha... the last bearing I was talking about is F A G but I guess that's a censored word even though it is a german bearing company.
smile.gif

http://www.[censored].com/content.[censored].de/en/index.jsp

Obligatory:
3749169351_eaeaff7613.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back