best brand ac compressor?

Hey folks I also need a new ac compressor for my 02 Durango 4.7. What brand should I be looking for? I want quality that lasts. Thanks.

Buy new not rebuilt. Many rebuilt compressors fail early due to shoddy rebuild practises. See how much an OEM unit will be first.

Last edited:
Check oem prices first. If it's too much, price a new Beck Arnley unit. Beck Arnley sources many of their parts from the same companies that manufacturer the oem parts.

I like Denso. I had bad luck with Four Seasons (twice) and ended up putting a junkyard compressor on her Jeep....still ice cold after two seasons and no leaks.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I like Denso. I had bad luck with Four Seasons (twice) and ended up putting a junkyard compressor on her Jeep....still ice cold after two seasons and no leaks.
+1 on a good used OE compressor from the bone yard. I paid $75.00 for mine a few months ago. It's a Mopar OEM Denso off of a 1999 Ram, they gave me a 90 day exchange warranty and so far the compressor still works fine. It cost $75.00, much cheaper than a rebuilt and who knows whether you can really trust the quality of a rebuilt nowadays? Plus the parts stores will hassle you about buying a new drier and providing proof of an AC flush for the warranty on a new or reman compressor.

Too many issues with remanufactured compressors these days - go with new. I'll even take a first-quality boneyard pull over a reman. The OE is usually best for "quality that lasts", but pricey. Protect your investment. Always replace the drier with any major component replacement.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: bvance554
+1 for the junkyard!
how can you be sure it works? are there any telltale signs?
Its a gamble, but one that I would place my money on.

My cheap ebay rebuilt compressor has about 4 years on it, and is working fine. The junkyard compressor I tried first, was just that, junk. Good luck.

OEM. However, sometimes ACDelco and Visteon will sell you the same new unit a dealer sells but at a much lower price. Now if you have a car that is prone to compressor failure, I am not sure what to do to cure the situation.