Best boat trailer wheel bearing grease for salt ap

Are they all stainless steel, and built of fairly heavy material? Are they on the trailer, or just with it?

If already installed, I would remove them anyway to inspect the grease, and repack. Many bearing buddies are installed and not pumped up the first couple of trips (see previous posts) or else were allowed to go "flat" and provided limited protection.

If they are not on the trailer, repack for sure, then buy the real thing!
I bet somebody else makes a good bearing protector, but there sure are some lousy imitations on the market. People happily buy a boat stereo that costs $500 extra but avoid spending $20 on something that avoids huge disasters and repairs??

Sort of like not adding oil (when needed) to your car motor, just to save money!!

Our oldest trailer- launched 4 days a week - has now completed another year, now 25 years with out repacking and the bearings are still very quiet.

We have one small boat and trailer - that we bought used - that had never had bearing buddies on it. We put in new bearings but the hub was also badly rusted, which ruined the seals in a few weeks, we now use the bearing buddies to just "pump through" fresh grease several times each summer.

Bearing Buddy makes a "seal kit" that that includes a new surface for the seal, I am looking forward to trying that out!

Anyone used those??

I am pretty sure they are non bearing buddies. I am refurbing the trailer and going through all the fasteners, new bearings/hubs, tires, rims, lights etc. It's an old 1985 trailer.
I just bought some stainless Bearing buddies, with some extra orings. I took the labels off them and put on some cheap wally world boots without the bearing buddie advertising all over them. Hopefully they won't get ripped off at the boat ramp.

I just got done destroying a Spindle saver because it did not fit my size hub. I tried to find the right size to order and the guy at the trailer supply said I needed spindle kit #2. I ordered it and the stainless sleeve was wrong.
I then read all I could at the bearing buddy website. Not enough info. I then called bearing buddy and they told me I needed kit #5 I ordered that got it and the sleeve still was wrong. The sleeve OD was the same as my spindle OD. The bearing buddy gal said it should work and to try it.

Against all common sense I tried it, No dice. I really wanted to use the sleeve. Right now I am using the seals that came with the kit on my spindle. I hope they should work. The seals that came with my bearing kits were for 1.25" seal. Mine is a 1 3/8" spindle seal.

I have even tracked down some after market speedisleeves that would work for my spindle. They are like $40 each though!

Best boat trailer wheel bearing grease for salt water apps?

the question was NOT multiple choice or multiple fill in

Originally Posted By: Steelhead

The answer was any grease with a bearing buddy.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead

I'm going with:
B) Bearing Buddies

Last edited:
I just happened upon this thread, but didn't see an answer. What is the best grease?

If I'm not mistaken, Aluminum complex is more resistant to water, no?

This is what we are dealing with. True severe service - 90• turns, severe grades, turns, etc. Single axle trailer with a 19' whaler. Tropical salt water.

The bearings were a year old, packed with Lucas blue marine grease.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Effectively caused from pulling in a sharp curve, which includes a bump going from paved to off road. The definition of a municipal ramp is much different where we are launching than in the States.

This bearing was about a year old. Maybe 25 uses. The trailer and boat bets substantially washed after use, but we were just saying that we needed to repack bearings.

I use Lucas RnT ... but give each side about 5 pumps after each trip. Takes 5 minutes or so ...
My 2006 and 2012 both came with grease fitting style spindles ...

Back