Best beginner press?

Originally Posted by MVFarms
re: $

I'm thinking a $200 limit for the press . . . so that may exclude Dillon.

I've already got scale, case trimmers and other stuff, but the kits do look like a good deal to have backup accessories, so I may go over that budget to get a kit.

The Rockchucker kit is pretty nice. I started with it and still use most of the stuff that comes with it. If you have most of the other stuff I'd probably just buy a press. A quality press from any of the big guys is going to serve you well. Dies and other gear adds up quick. The press is the cheap part of a reloading setup.

Everyone,

Sorry for bringing this tread back from the dead. Would a Dillon 550 be a good first beginner press? (as in, 0 experience) the 550 looks really nice, BUT I'm having a hard time with justifying the cost of a new Dillon press..

I like the idea of either a turret or progressive, so that I only have to setup the dies once and adjust once. I was watching a video of a guy adjusting a lee single stage press for over 15mins with a resize die, and I can't imagine doing that every time.

Reasons for wanting to loading in order
  1. i can bring the power factor down to the lowest level but still being IDPA/USPSA legal (recoil)
  2. make my own ammo when shelves are empty
  3. hopefully will be cheaper
  4. therapeutic?

Back