Best Ball Joint Brand - Ford F-150

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
I plan to help a buddy do ball joints on his ‘98 F-150 next week. I’m not very familiar with domestic parts suppliers and options.

What’s a good brand these days?

We use Moog on our Ford but we got them when they were still pretty good. I have heard the quality has gone down tremendously. I’d look at TRW or Dynatrac the Dynatrac are probably really out of budget for him though as they are rebuildable when they go bad and very expensive but excellent ball joints I just rebuilt my friends truck with them a few weeks ago. Maybe OEM or something too. Unless you can find NOS Moog. I’m sure others will chime in here as well. Spicer is good too from my experience.

Spicer or Raybestos pro grade. Should be the same part in a different box. Permanently sealed tend to last longer than greasable in my experience.

Motorcraft from the dealership (either in person or one of the online ones) would be my preference.

Avoid Moog.

Spicer/Raybestos chassis parts was bought by Moog, so it no longer exists unless you find old stock.

Motorcraft from the dealership (either in person or one of the online ones) would be my preference.

Avoid Moog.

Spicer/Raybestos chassis parts was bought by Moog, so it no longer exists unless you find old stock.
Well darn. Those were a good quality part before. Same way with Timken hub/bearing assemblies those WERE a good part too.

I went with ProForged upper control arms and lower ball joints on my Explorer. They can be ordered off Jegs, Summit, and Amazon. I chose Jegs.

One of the upper control arms is still on backorder...I have a cheap O'Reilly's one for now. The other three are ProForged though. I only have 3,000 or so miles on them, but they looked very high quality and there were no issues with fitment. It handles great.

My buddy had mevotech on his 05 Ram and the boot ripped after a year. I just did my avalanche and went w new moogs. Went off-roading twice and so far so good
EE3C1821-AE15-4ECD-A87D-E99FA4B97C89.jpeg
5C122EAD-8E09-49A3-9799-D19BDC38B284.jpeg

I have used Moog problem solver, Raybestos and Proforged. Never any issues. I can tell you what brands from experience to NOT use: Mevotech, Autozone Valuecraft, and Detroit Axle. They are all bottom feeder chinese low quality junk. The Detroit Axle brand irks me the most because it plays on it's name to sound USA made and so many people believe that. They are the worse quality I have ever seen. Mevotech looks good and installs ok but any rubber part just disinegrates in a years time and ball joints fail not too far after that. Valuecraft looks like somebody forged them with a pick and axe (tooling marks and rough surfaces) and spray painted them to look good. The rarely install properly and they too will just make the 1 yr warranty.

Motorcraft or ProFordged. *RA has Motorcraft, but no ProForged. I’m not sure if that MC part is the same as OE?

Typically I’d recommend Dana Spicer, but Im unsure of its availability for your truck.

I also noticed RA has Lemförder too? Ford is in the name after all! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back