Best atf for volvo 4t65ev/gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sorry. Then Dex VI can be used, though it was designed around the thicker Dex III. I have a 4L30E (c. 1998) in one vehicle and it runs much better on a DexIII than a DexVI, but some are more picky than others. Might ask some volvo guys if they've noticed a difference between the two.

It feels way better to me, since I serviced it with dexron vi the shifts got a lot firmer, no kidding. i can feel every shift now, before I serviced it with dexron vi I couldn't even feel the 1-2 shift.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Oh, sorry. Then Dex VI can be used, though it was designed around the thicker Dex III. I have a 4L30E (c. 1998) in one vehicle and it runs much better on a DexIII than a DexVI, but some are more picky than others. Might ask some volvo guys if they've noticed a difference between the two.

DexronIII is only briefly thicker than DexronVI since a mineral DexronIII can easily shear down below 5 cSt @100ºC in 30,000 miles while a DexronVI will probably never go below 6 cSt @100ºC no matter how long you run it.

The DexronVI is the superior choice unless you want to use a synthetic dex/merc like Maxlife. Many users rack up tons of miles with the 4T65e using DexronVI and Maxlife being favorites.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3014880/Improvements_in_DexronVI_over_

If you want get the original Amsoil multi vehicle atf it will stay closer to 7 cSt @100ºC for the life of the fluid although it's not really needed from my understanding.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

DexronIII is sometimes only briefly thicker than DexronVI since a mineral DexronIII can easily shear down below 5 cSt @100ºC in 30,000 miles while a DexronVI will probably never go below 6 cSt @100ºC no matter how long you run it.

The DexronVI is sometimes the superior choice unless you want to use a synthetic dex/merc like Maxlife. Many users rack up tons of miles with the 4T65e using DexronVI and Maxlife being favorites.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3014880/Improvements_in_DexronVI_over_

If you want get the original Amsoil multi vehicle atf it will stay closer to 7 cSt @100ºC for the life of the fluid although it's not really needed from my understanding.

Fixed that for you.

There are some transmissions that can tell a difference so blanket statements don't cover it all. I know, I own one and other owners note it too - not my imagination. There are quality DexIII's that don't shear so horribly and retain the viscosity. On the synthetic side, for those picky units, MaxLife turns out not to be so great as it's more DexVI viscosity to start.

Fixed that for you.

"When the 6.8 cSt minimum specification was originally established in the 1980s it had to take into account that ATFs were formulated with lower quality base oils and additives than are available today. A 6.8 cSt minimum was needed to assure the viscosity remained sufficiently high while in use. In service, as simulated by the 20 hr KRL test, these oils shear down to between 4.8 and 5.2 cSt. Typical MERCON oils today continue to use the older technology. Conversely, MaxLife is formulated with synthetic base oils and the highest quality additives available today. Though it starts out at a lower viscosity it only shears down to 5.7 cSt in KRL. The greater viscosity stability, higher after shear viscosity, and superior chemistry of MaxLife means superior performance in MERCON applications."

http://www.pqiamerica.com/MaxLife ATF - Response 2-22-13.pdf

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

DexronIII is sometimes only briefly thicker than DexronVI since a mineral DexronIII can easily shear down below 5 cSt @100ºC in 30,000 miles while a DexronVI will probably never go below 6 cSt @100ºC no matter how long you run it.

The DexronVI is sometimes the superior choice unless you want to use a synthetic dex/merc like Maxlife. Many users rack up tons of miles with the 4T65e using DexronVI and Maxlife being favorites.

Fixed that for you.

There are some transmissions that can tell a difference so blanket statements don't cover it all. I know, I own one and other owners note it too - not my imagination. There are quality DexIII's that don't shear so horribly and retain the viscosity. On the synthetic side, for those picky units, MaxLife turns out not to be so great as it's more DexVI viscosity to start.

Maxlife is even more shear stable than the DexronVI offerings.

My triple edge 4T65e will exclusively use Maxlife and thus far I've had no shifting issues with the fluid.

I think some people expect a fluid to fix a mechanical failure but if it's shifting hard it's probably going to shift hard on anything, and a thicker fluid might just mask it slightly if anything.

I'd much rather have a fluid that stays near its starting viscosity during the entire OCI than one that starts out high and shears.

So maxlife is more shear stable then dexron vi? Are they pretty similiar with thier additive package? I put Napa brand dexron vi in the 4t65e and noticed it shifting firmer and better. I also have a freshly re-built chrysler A-518 non lock up transmission in my 1991 dodge power ram 150 four wheel drive truck.
The owner of the shop that re-built my A-518 said he put dexron III in it and when I asked about a synthetic he said no use dexron III. But now that my warranty is up on the re-build in going to drop the pan and put dexron vi in it as well.
I considered trying maxlife in my A-518, but The whole maxlife is for high mileage transmissions steered me away from it because I've been told it contains seal conditioners and what not, I figured my fresh built transmission didn't need a high mileage tranny fluid. It still has dexron III in it but will soon have dexron Vi.

Yes Maxlife uses a set of very shear stable synthetic base oils paired with an advanced additive package from Lubrizol it's really great ATF.

Don't think of Maxlife as a high mileage atf, but rather a bargain prices synthetic ATF. All ATF contains seal conditioners, the Maxlife may have just a fraction more.

I would not hesitate to use Maxlife in any Dexron/Mercon application although I do have some reservations about using it in ATF+4 fwd applications.

I thought dexron vi as a shear stable atf as well, how much does dexron vi shear? And in how many miles does it do it?

Originally Posted By: pjc360
I thought dexron vi as a shear stable atf as well, how much does dexron vi shear? And in how many miles does it do it?

According to Whitewolf...

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

The average DEXRON-III will shear down to about 4.2 cSt in about 80k miles whereas DEXRON-VI will typically not shear below about 5.3 cSt in the same mileage. That's one of the design features of DEXRON-VI, improved shear stability over DEXRON-III.

Also see here

Originally Posted By: pjc360
So it only shears about .003 in 30k miles?

Your decimal places are way off, it shears approximately 0.3 cSt in 30k.

Starting viscosity 6.0 cSt, viscosity at 30k approximately 5.7

6.0-5.7=0.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back