Best ATF for my Mercedes AMG C43 Auto Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tring to find the best ATF for use in my Mercedes Benz AMG C43. The only approved ATF I know of is the MB fluid from the dealer. I have been using M1 syn ATF with no problems, but I just thought I would do some checking to see if there is something better as the M1 ATF is not approved.

As a result of my hard driving and the non-approved ATF I change out whats in the pan (3.5qts) every 2,500-3,000 miles.

I believe Mercedes calls for a ATF +C3 or similar.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff

If the recommended fluid is ATF+3 I would definitely go with Redline C+.

I used this ATF in my Dodge Intrepid and the trans worked flawlessly.

Call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) and get the free Approved Lubricant List. This'll make a good starting point.

Are you sure you can't drain the torque converter in your car. If so, you can replace 90% of the fluid each time you change it.

[ January 15, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

If I sent a sample of the Mercedes ATF fluid to Blackstone for analysis would they be able to tell what kind of ATF Mercedes uses on the new Auto Trannies?

Jeff

the best fluid is the OEM Aral fluid, see if there is a tranny dipstick(should be red cap) under the hood. If you don't have a red cap dipstick, then you must ONLY use the OEM fluid. The newer MB trannies are supposed to be "lifetime" fill.

Since your C43 doesn't use the newer generation MB transmission, i would recommend a good synthetic Dexron III fluid, either Red Line or Amsoil.

I will recommend that you use Esso Lt71141 fluid which is the recommended fluid for all ZF transmissions. It is found at Volkswagen dealerships.

My BMW specified a different fluid but the LT71141 came highly recommended by a Pentosin chemist. I explained that my transmission specified Texaco ETL 7045 fluid and he assured me that the Esso fluid has a much better fluid characteristic and that it was thoroughly a better product. My BMW has a General Motors transmission in it (A5S 360R) and it was explained to me that the Texaco fluid was chosen because of a partnership between Texaco of Europe and the transmission facility in Strasbourg, France.

At $12,00 per liter the Lt71141 fluid is pricey but it does seem to work well and has been tested by ZF and proven to be functional up to 250.000 km of service. I change my fluids at 50.000 mile intervals so the cost isn't a real factor.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to forward them to the formulator of the fluid. I can't guarantee any replies but if you have a concern then it'd be worth a e-mail.

FowVay,

Please tell me more about the VW Esso ATF fluid and its formulation. My AMG C43 does use the new MB tranny and comes with a lifetime fill. Many of these tranny's fail right after the warranty runs out. Is it beeter than the Mercedes specific ATF?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Anyone else have any recommendations on a suitable replacement for the Mercedes Benz ATF fluid used for late model Auto Trannys.

The only approved ATF is the Mercedes Dealer ATF.

Thanks,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back