best approach to get stripped caliper carrier bolt off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have acytene torch, so welding on a nut is out. Open up to other ideas though!
banana2.gif

Will the bolt extractors you can buy at the big box stores work for a round bolt like this?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Lisle 62900 Super Out Set. $11 on Amazon.
Or
Lisle 61980 Stripped Screw Extractor Set. $23 on Amazon.
Not sure of your hex size so it's hard to say which set is appropriate for your application.

The key to these things is that you hammer them in, then use a wrench to remove.
Also, spray with PB Blaster several times over 2 or 3 days while you wait for the extraction set to be delivered.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Looks like you have space. Can you get a vice grip on there really tight? Id use heat and quenching cooling repeatedly, some penetrant, etc. first. Then squeeze the vice grips on really tight and see what you can get.

Can you get an angle grinder to it? If so , grind opposing flats so you can get an end wrench on it. Or find a socket a hair too small to fit over it, hammer it on and use a ratchet.

EDIT: As others have suggested, heat it first with a propane torch really hot to help free it up.

Last edited:
I agree with vise grips...AS LONG AS...they are good quality. You may need to really crank the adjustment in as much as you can to lock the handle. It may then require some tapping with a hammer. Cheap, low quality vise grips may distort and/or break. I agree with penetrating oil for several hours....allow it time to work.

I have used a small pipe wrench to remove this type of problem bolt. I have used a wrench with a 12 inch long handle if you have the room. Ed

Originally Posted by P10crew
Weld a nut on it. Works every time.

I agree, this is where a mig welder is very quick and handy. The OP however does not have one.

Wow, these are all great ideas!

On the vice grip solution, do you think they can stay locked it a 100+ ft. lbs on a circular bolt? I know I need something with some good teeth to even try, but these things are torque on good.

Or how about this mack daddy pipe wrench at lowes? You think this thing will lock in? I think this will work if I grind down a small flat lip on two parallel sides, as was previously mentioned.

038548019710.jpg

EDIT: Of course I realize any torque based solution is tied to the hip of multiple cycles of penetrating oil with heat and tension. I do have an el-cheapo butane torch which can heat up small areas like this fairly well.

Last edited:
Drive the car to the nearest dude with a welder.
Weld a nut on it done deal works every time. Why fight it?

Last edited:
They sell extractors that look like a socket with teeth. I got a set that are Craftsman. But you may not have enough room on the upper side.

Get some cheap Torx bits and pound in the largest one you can get to fit.

I assume this was allen or Torx to start? Did you first get in there with a pick and compressed air to blow out the dirt so the proper allen or Torx would fit. Or used one too small thinking it was right?

I would heat with a propane torch and cool a few times with PB Blaster.

Maybe a smack or two with a hammer to break the rust.

I would not advise drilling a hole and trying to use a screw extractor. The last thing you want is a screw extractor snapped off as part of the mess.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Drive the car to the nearest dude with a welder.
Weld a nut on it done deal works every time. Why fight it?

Yeah, if I can get that for less than $100, may be the path of least resistance.

On the left drill bit/ez out idea -

I believe only 4 threads are actually used at the tail of the bolt, and an ez-out from the head side may not be ideal due to clearance. Fortunately, the spindle exposes the tail of the fastener where clearance is good. I would likely have to drill from the tail side of the fastener.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited:
Should be a 15 minute job including the time for them to drive it in and raise it on the hoist.
If you lived near me I'd do it for free.the only easy outs I've ever used that worked are the straight fluted ones from snap on. But the problem with them is that once you get it out the bolt is stuck to the flutes. The only way to get it off the flutes is a cut off wheel on a die grinder.

Originally Posted by Donald
They sell extractors that look like a socket with teeth. I got a set that are Craftsman. But you may not have enough room on the upper side.

Get some cheap Torx bits and pound in the largest one you can get to fit.

I assume this was allen or Torx to start? Did you first get in there with a pick and compressed air to blow out the dirt so the proper allen or Torx would fit. Or used one too small thinking it was right?

I would heat with a propane torch and cool a few times with PB Blaster.

Maybe a smack or two with a hammer to break the rust.

I would not advise drilling a hole and trying to use a screw extractor. The last thing you want is a screw extractor snapped off as part of the mess.

It was allen to start and I had the proper socket adapter. Let's not get into how it got f'd up. I put a good amount of torque on it with a cheater bar and the top one broke off with a loud CRACK. The bottom also made a loud crack and I knew it was 50/50 rounded out or broke loose, but wasn't as lucky on that one.

I chalk it up to experience and trying to graduate from 2 wrench out of 5 to 3 wrench out of 5 skill set.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Heat and a vise-grip and it is off. No need for all the other stuff people posted as that is way too much work for this. It is a 3 minute job at best. You must have heat. A little bit in the threaded area 6-second and the the rest of the 12 seconds of time on the head. You are expanding, and no need to cook it, you have rubber brake parts attached

I was previously taught on the forum the value of heat on a stuck bolt. It doesn't make sense to me about how heat works as it looks like it would expand both pieces making them tighter???But a propane torch from the hardware store and some penetrating oil and patience and vice grips will do the job. Let that oil soak as long as you can.

I was concerned about how long to heat. It took longer than I expected. I heated a little. Tried to loosen. Heated a little and tried to loosen. Heated a lot and it finally came off. Nobody can tell you how long to heat but I'd bet lunch that heat, oil and vice grips will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back