Best Antifreeze Additive Package

Which brand of antifreeze has the best additive package for my 98 honda crv?

I am asking that specific question as well as asking which brand in general, regardless of vehicle, has more additives to protect and lubricate an engine? Similar to the discussion in the oil forums.

I want the brand that has the best package for antifreeze like the pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 that I use for oil. I can use that oil as a cleaner when I buy a vehicle to clean my engine as it protects unlike most oils.

This! I prefer Pentofrost for Asian vehicles and I'd use it for my Honda.
Im reading that people like either pentafrost, peak, or zerex if not oem honda fluid for their hondas. Like I said though, Im interested in discovering which of these if not othrrs has the best additives.

For example, the universal yellow supertech coolant at my local walmart that I put in my ford ranger may have the minimum amount of additives since it is only $7.74 per gallon for 50/50. Zerex is 19.99 per gallon at napa. I would expect a much more potent additive package in the zerex here because it costs more money.

Im reading that people like either pentafrost, peak, or zerex if not oem honda fluid for their hondas. Like I said though, Im interested in discovering which of these if not othrrs has the best additives.
Trying to find 'the best' is a fools errand.

There's no objective evidence to discern 'the best' additives. That information just doesn't exist. So all you're going to get are people's opinions.

At a minimum, pick one that is meets your OEM specs and just move on.

For example, the universal yellow supertech coolant at my local walmart that I put in my ford ranger may have the minimum amount of additives since it is only $7.74 per gallon for 50/50. Zerex is 19.99 per gallon at napa. I would expect a much more potent additive package in the zerex here because it costs more money.
You really have no idea what you’re talking about. Therefore you should be using what the manufacturer recommends for your vehicle and not trying to “improve” things.

Blackstone labs does fluid analysis for motor oil. I see it done for coolant. There are reports available from other posts on coolant analysis on this forum.

Myself I do not want to send in these asian coolants because it is cost prohibitive for me but perhaps someone has done this already with pentafrost, peak, zerex, and honda coolants.

The analysis would tell us what elements are in the coolants for us to compare. I am interested in these results to shed light on this topic.

Don't overthink it either use genuine Honda or one of the other 'formulated for' brands. Zerex, Pentofrost, Reochem, Etc.

Over 250k on my 2003 Accord and the radiator is as clean as the day I bought it. The TL is the same. Change the coolant every 60-80k and don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Blackstone labs does fluid analysis for motor oil. I see it done for coolant. There are reports available from other posts on coolant analysis on this forum.

Myself I do not want to send in these asian coolants because it is cost prohibitive for me but perhaps someone has done this already with pentafrost, peak, zerex, and honda coolants.

The analysis would tell us what elements are in the coolants for us to compare. I am interested in these results to shed light on this topic.
Again you have no idea what you're talking about.

A "Blackstone" coolant analysis is exactly as relevant to coolant quality as is a UOA to oil quality. Oh and most of the elements in coolant will not show up on an analysis as they are not transition metals. In fact they aren't metals at all.

This is the Zerex Asian Blue spec sheet. I like that that provide test results and a partial elemental analysis of the contents of their antifreeze.

Here is the Peak OET Asian Blue spec sheet. They don't go into detail as much as Zerex.

This is the Pentofrost A3 spec sheet. They are also less giving of information than Zerex.

It looks like Reochem Asian Blue uses de-ionized water like Zerex does in their antifreeze. Zerex still provides much more information on their data sheet.

I am going with Zerex Asian Blue 50/50. The analysis information on their spec sheet won me over. If I find any more analysis reports, I will post them here. Anyone else that wishes to do so may post them here as well.

What is used in there right now? The biggest consideration is if there is anything else blended in.

Nothing wrong with Honda blue (different than European blue) in that vehicle. Zerex is a good choice, IMO.

What is used in there right now? The biggest consideration is if there is anything else blended in.

Nothing wrong with Honda blue (different than European blue) in that vehicle. Zerex is a good choice, IMO.
There was green coolant in there. I'm not sure if it was an extended life coolant or the regular green. I just bought the vehicle and want to start fresh with new fluids. So I flushed it with Napa Mac brand 1400 Radiator Cleaner and about 5 gallons of distilled water. That cleaned out 99% of it. Then I added the Zerex Asian Blue Coolant 50/50 mix.

..... I flushed it with Napa Mac brand 1400 Radiator Cleaner and about 5 gallons of distilled water. That cleaned out 99% of it. Then I added the Zerex Asian Blue Coolant 50/50 mix.
If you followed that exact procedure (distilled through engine block) and using ZAV premix, you now have a cooling system with a less than 50% concentration AF. You would need to get an inexpensive AF tester (Chaslyn) and repeat d&f(s) with ZAV until tester shows ~50%. Bedsides paying for half water one of the disadvantages of premix, a full system flush will require more than radiator fill.

As an aside, ZAV what I used with a radiator drain of factory fill Type II. Like Peak OET, Napa Asian, Pentofrost A3, all true Asian P(h)oat AFs.

There was green coolant in there. I'm not sure if it was an extended life coolant or the regular green. I just bought the vehicle and want to start fresh with new fluids. So I flushed it with Napa Mac brand 1400 Radiator Cleaner and about 5 gallons of distilled water. That cleaned out 99% of it. Then I added the Zerex Asian Blue Coolant 50/50 mix.
It’s good to want to baseline the system, especially if there’s something unknown in there.

Did you pull the upper and lower hoses? Is there a removable freeze plug or block drain that lets you get more? If not, you probably have too much distilled water. I think Honda sells little bottles of concentrate - the gallons of Asian coolant generally come pre diluted. You should verify that your ratio is at least 30-40% glycol…

I drained the radiator and refilled with distilled water several times. I did not want to drain the engine block. When I do it again I will find this block drain plug and empty the block that way. I went for a drive three different times and revved the engine to 5000 rpm with the heater on max.

My cooling system holds a little over one gallon according to the owners manual so I bought two gallons of 50/50 mix and ran the engine for a few minutes after adding the first. Then I drained the radiator for the last time and added the second gallon until full which was half a gallon. I will look into getting the antifreeze tester to measure the percent of antifreeze in the system.

Back