Best alternative to the FL820S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that you actually hold that belief. Two pictures side by side, one of filter media and one of sasquatch. I assume one is more believable to you than the other although both are just pictures that someone claimed to have taken.
But I'm not so invested that I would mistake the two since I am capable of making a rational discrimination. Believing that the torn media posted here is deliberate or accidental in every case requires just about the same level of (dis)belief as Sasquatch.

Or do you believe that the two are of equal validity? Everyone who has posted pictures of torn media is either grossly incompetent or a complete liar?

We've had years of tears in media, and nothing to show for it.

Wait, I thought you said we did have something to show from it? You said it was statistically meaningless.

Now we don't have that? Which is it?

Which is statistically meaningless.

Millions of Purolator-made filters are sold and used every year in fleets which do oil analysis, yet they still buy them.

What I have not seen in the "torn media" campaign of the last few years is a post in which pictures of torn media was accompanied by an actual oil analysis showing bad results.

Nor have I seen a study of random samples of these filters that would provide the basis for forming a statistically meaningful conclusion as to the failure rate.

There is science and statistics, and then there is anecdotes and "I favor/disfavor X".

Wait, I thought you said we did have something to show from it? You said it was statistically meaningless.

You have statistically meaningless pictures from anecdotal posts.

What there is no evidence for is:

- this results in engine damage

- this results in excessive engine wear

- this happens at a statistically relevant frequency.

What part of "pictures of tears of and by themselves tell us nothing important" is difficult?

What part of "there is no evidence these tears:

- result in engine damage

- result in excessive engine wear

- happen at a statistically relevant frequency. "

perplexes you?

Be specific.

OK, if I read you correctly

I have never seen or heard of any legitimate study that:

Qualifies or quantifies a number of torn filters in service in any fleet measurement.

Any study that attempts to qualify or quantify by failure mode or mechanism any correlation between unfiltered oil through a torn filter with any type of engine wear or damage.

Is that what you are saying?

During years of posts of pictures of tears in Purolator-made filters those posts have never been accompanied by a study that:

quantifies the frequency with which tears occur;

provides a correlation between a tear in a filter with any type of engine wear or damage;

or been accompanied by a used oil analysis or other evidence that the tear had any material effect on the specific engine in question.

I've been using the Motorcraft FL820S in my 3v Mustang for years, under the assumption that OEM was about as good as it got. Other questions led me to these forums, but imagine my surprise seeing all the recent posts here about the FL820S tearing and just generally having a poor reputation.

I'm due for my OCI, and literally had another 820 in my cart. What's the consensus on a high quality replacement?

I have used the fl-820 since 2001, the first year I had a Ford DOHC V6, had a number of them since and never had an issue until a few years ago. Low oil pressure light started blinking on my Mercury Mariner a week or so after changing oil, went away after getting rpm up. Finally changed the filter to another 820 and the issue went away. Started using Bosch after that.

I have used the fl-820 since 2001, the first year I had a Ford DOHC V6, had a number of them since and never had an issue until a few years ago. Low oil pressure light started blinking on my Mercury Mariner a week or so after changing oil, went away after getting rpm up. Finally changed the filter to another 820 and the issue went away. Started using Bosch after that.
Bosch filters in the USA are made by the very same people in the very same factory as Purolator, Motorcraft, and so on.

Over the years I've seen the occasional problem on many brands of filters: improperly or partially cut threads, missing or damaged gaskets, stuck bypass valves, improper springing on bypass valves, and so on.

Manufactured goods are like that.

Yikes, this thread took a bit of a turn. Like I said, I really wasn't wanting to open some Pandora's box of bashing FoMoCo. I love Ford, this is my 3rd one! I think they make great stuff, and I'm of the mindset that this batch of tearing filters must be a simple manufacturing hiccup. That stuff inevitably happens in large scale productions. The idea of having a filter tear just didn't sit well with me though, and I wanted to look into some good alternatives. I have no beef with you Motorcraft fans!

For what it's worth, I have been reading up on everybody's recommendations and think that I may like to give the Wix / Napa part a shot. I'm seeing mixed information on them having the OEM style bypass though? Can anybody help shed some light on that for me?

During years of posts of pictures of tears in Purolator-made filters those posts have never been accompanied by a study that:

quantifies the frequency with which tears occur;

provides a correlation between a tear in a filter with any type of engine wear or damage;

or been accompanied by a used oil analysis or other evidence that the tear had any material effect on the specific engine in question.

OK, I've been reading here about 20 ish years plus my industrial experience so with the bolded parts (my bolding- not your original) removed because this isn't limited to just them , I fully concur that no study I have seen or even heard of has ever addressed those issues in context of what a torn filter does ( or doesn't do)

Now what?

OK, I've been reading here about 20 ish years plus my industrial experience so with the bolded parts (my bolding- not your original) removed because this isn't limited to just them , I fully concur that no study I have seen or even heard of has ever addressed those issues in context of what a torn filter does ( or doesn't do)

Now what?
Now we are just left with numerous posts showing torn filters, like we were before this thread started. Those filters that have failed in their primary function since the media has failed.

Don't forget that we were promised that science and statistics showed that it was not significant, a statement that is yet unsupported with science and statistics just as you note.

Last edited:
Now we are just left with numerous posts showing torn filters, like we were before this thread started. Those filters that have failed in their primary function since the media has failed.

Don't forget that we were promised that science and statistics showed that it was not significant, a statement that is yet unsupported with science and statistics just as you note.

I concur with your assessment

To all: Please refer to this again;

This thread has vacillated from supposed proofs to conjecture so I believe it has run its course and will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back