Best all-terrain vehicles in the world

Astro, you are funny! Spilled my coffee laughing...
Seriously though, rental cars/trucks can do amazing things that ordinary (owned) cars cannot do. "Speed bumps, what speed bumps??...

I rent the fastest pickup for my out of state Jeep trips! Not a diesel, either. It's going to maintain 65 on all the hills and it'll pull a 13% grade at 48MPH!

I don't want to go over 65 for fear of wadding wheel bearings or exploding those little 13s on my car trailer

I thought the answer was “any rental car”...

Funny thing about that...

I was headed over Mosquito Pass in Colorado with my slightly modded Silverado (didn't have the Xterra yet), and we came across a couple in a rental Subaru - totally stuck. I have to admit it was early in the season, and I doubt I would have been able to finish the trail anyways, but we spent the next several hours pulling this rental car back down the mountain. His statement - "well it has 4wd" - yeah...this is not baby AWD country.

All these big boys won't fit if the road/trail/bridge/crossing is narrow. I think it has to be a passenger vehicle to claim "best" status for all terrain. Then the debate is Wrangler Rubicon, Land Cruiser, Hilux, etc. etc.

Answer: FJ Cruiser.

It's not doing any good if it's always breaking down and/or parts are hard to source while in remote areas.
nobody drives those in remote areas. you’d have to cannibalize a prado for the few parts that carry over.

drive what the locals drive. in most places the old box shape nissan patrol is probably the best choice, much tougher and more capable than any land cruiser

Last edited:
Back