Best All-around All season tire for a small car (corolla) in PA??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a tire that will provide good wet and snow performance for my wife's company car (2002 Corolla - P185/65R14). Any suggestions?

I've been eyeing the Kumho HP4. Can anyone comment on treadlife and wet/snow performance?

I was very happy with the dunlop SP Sport A2. AA traction, A treadwear. These got me through some bad snow easily, and work well on my GF's acura in the snow and my father's toyota van in the snow. They have a soft rubber compound, which makes for good roadholding, but if your allignment is off, theyll wear fast. My father has about 40k on his right now though, and they still have life in them.

Ive also heard great things about the yokohama avud touring. Good price for those.

Falken ZE 512 are good too. Nice price.

JMH

P.S. Ive found that Jack Williams tire has the best price/deal. Theyre in eastern PA, but there might be a few out your way.

Nokian(sp)Brand is going to represent the best all around comprimise for all weather use right out of the box!

quote:

Originally posted by 99 GASE2:
How about BFGoodrich Traction T/A all-season tires.

I have heard nothing but GOOD things about these tires. They are just a hair below the bridgestone RE950 in all of tireracks tests, but the Traction T/A cost quite a bit less than the RE950. I wish bfgoodrich would put a non-bland sidewall on, and would offer lip protection on 55 series or lower profiles, but those are just cosmetic things.

I have RE950 on all the cars in the family ('cept for the previa) and they do great in all kinds of weather.

The SP Sport A2 from dunlop are good, except they wore way to fast on my brother's hatch back, all on stock suspension and perfect alignment and proper tire pressure. They wore in about 22k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
[I have RE950 on all the cars in the family ('cept for the previa) and they do great in all kinds of weather.

My uncle has them on his Previa..... The wheels are soo wide the stickout past the fenders.

The BFG Traction T/As are all positive.. I haven't heard a bad thing. Haven't had personal experiences with them but all I hear is good good.

Bridgestone Turanza LS-T -
Falken Ziex ZE-512 - 60R16 so they must be a lot cheaper for your Corolla. They can be bought at any Sears Auto Center. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it. You won't be sorry.

I have been using the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 on my Grand Prix for a few months and so far I am totally satisfied. Good dry & in rain, haven't yet had a chance to try them out in the snow. I dont think you can beat them for the price.
cheers.gif

FYI, BFG Traction T/As are on sale at Sears now thru... tomorrow!
shocked.gif
Very competitive sale price ($55+stems+balancing+tax for a 185/65R14 size), too. Sears seems to put these on sale at least once per season lately. You can keep tabs on their sales at Sears.com -- just click on the "Weekly Ad" button (top left), then type yr zipcode, then click "Automotive" (under the Browse by Department), then click "Tires & Accessories".

-Tye

Welp, I went for the Kumho HP4 716. The price at Sears was too good to pass up ($44.98). I never drive the car, as it is the wifes company car, so I won't be able to post impressions. However, I will say that the drive FROM the tire store felt MUCH better than the drive TO the tire store with 30k mile Goodyear Integrity tires.
smile.gif

I'll have to see what the wife thinks when she begins to drive the car in rain and snow.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Welp, I went for the Kumho HP4 716. The price at Sears was too good to pass up ($44.98). I never drive the car, as it is the wifes company car, so I won't be able to post impressions. However, I will say that the drive FROM the tire store felt MUCH better than the drive TO the tire store with 30k mile Goodyear Integrity tires.
smile.gif

I'll have to see what the wife thinks when she begins to drive the car in rain and snow.

Almost anything is better than Goodyear Integrity tires...Congrats on the choice. As long as your happy!

I hate Kumho and Sumitomo.

Yes they may be 20-30/side$ more but you will thank us when you pop them on and love them!

Here is what I recommend for you specifically, adhere to any of them and satisfied you should be~

(price from highest to lowest)

Tier I.

**Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread
Michelin Harmony/Sear's Michelin Agility
Michelin Hydroedge

Discontinued if you can find them on clearence:

Sears Roadhandler Voyager LX

Tier II.

**Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread
Michelin Rainforce/Weatherwise (Sears)
Goodyear Viva Touring/Goodyear Regatta II/Goodyear Weatherhandler LS (Sears)
BFG Traction TA (DOT Traction AA Temperature A!)

**Qualifies for 75$ Rebate until 27 November for set of 4

quote:

I hate Kumho and Sumitomo.

Care to qualify those remarks?

I have the Kumho ASX on my Mustang, and they seem to work very well for the price. My positive experience with the ASX is what convinced me to give the HP4 a try on the Toyota.

On the other hand, I have had bad experiences with Goodyear. Does this mean Goodyear tires are junk? Probably not, but in the past, they did not seem to offer much bang for the buck when I have used them (poor performance and short life).

From everything I have seen, BFG Traction T/A tires would have definitely been a good choice, however, I opted to go with the lower cost Kumho based on positve reviews at tirerack.

Reviews aren't everything though... I bought the Falken ZE512, based on positive reviews, and I am less-than-happy with these tires, as they are noisy and seem to wear fast. I guess different cars "like" different tires.

Anyway, we'll see how the Kumhos do... I will be sure to post if I (or more correctly, my wife) do not like them, as I have no reason to defend the Korean manufacturer!
smile.gif

I'm using Hankook 835's. Cost me $61.50 each, installed. So far they've been great! Much quieter than the OEM Kuhomo (sp), fairly agressive tread (deep tread!) that should be great in snow. I'll find out soon if they are or not. Very good wet traction, my car hasn't slid or hydroplaned once in the fairly heavy rain we've had up here in NY.

This is on a Hyundai Accent, so the car is about the same size as yours.

Nova,

Yes, I am sure you expect more out of me than some hallow blanket statement like that and no offence to your car.

Something with Sumitomo and Kumho evokes in me some kind of primal suspicion against them.

Indeed you can build quality products at a low price
smile.gif
That I do not qualm with.

It has something to do with me being skeptical of low budget/econo rubber tire lines thats all.

Perhaps my current ownership of premium ultra-high performance tires has altered my perception thats all of the tire world.

What matters most is that your happy with the Kumho's
wink.gif
If it gets ya home safe then hakuna matata-

Just an update... the Kumho 716 HP4s seem to be working well. My wife says they are 100% better in the rain, compared to the well work Integrety tires, and she had no problems getting around in the recent snow. She has about 4000 miles on these so far, with no complaints.

I'm planning on moving to the Falken mentioned above, since CR says they are decent and the price is so low.

These badyear nointegrity are terrible tires! I was afraid I was gonna wreck over and over in the snow here recently. Completely worthless tires.

Shame they put
crushedcar.gif
tires on a nice little Corolla...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back