Best aftermarket ignition coil brand for Nissan?

My 2014 Pathfinder is overdue for new spark plugs, and I figured, if I have to basically do a top-end rebuild to get to the back 3 plugs, might as well throw new coils in while I'm at it. I already have 6 new plugs, an intake plenum gasket, and a throttle body gasket on hand.

I've only ever owned Hondas and Toyotas until now so I am not familiar with aftermarket parts vendors for Nissan vehicles. Assuming Bosch or NGK would probably be my best bet? Or are there any lesser-known and cheaper brands that Nissan owners have used and had success with?

Thanks!

Denso, NGK, Hitachi, Delphi. Don't waste your money on lesser-known cheaper brands unless you like doing this job twice.
I've already put it off for a year and a half because I haven't wanted to do it nor pay somebody else to do it so I'll look into those 4.

Both my VQ40's have Hitachi coils. Nissan did switch vendors dependent on year - but usually always Hitachi, NTK or Denso.

Having said that - you do not have to remove the intake manifold to get all 6 plugs on the VQ40. There are several youtube vids. I have done it 4 times across 2 rigs. You need a couple wabble sockets and extensions. The only hard one with the plenum on is number 1 (front passenger). The hard part is getting the coil off. Simple instructions - unbolt the 10mm on the coil, lift it as high as it will go under the plenum and push it towards the front of the truck. The boot will flex - keep pushing forward until the boot pops out of the hole - then pull the coil out. The plug will come out with a socket + wobble + 6 inch extension + flex joint + another extension + ratchet - in that order. Make sure you have a real spark plug socket that holds the plug.

If you choose to remove the intake manifold its not all that hard. As mentioned if you do you might as well change the valve cover to get new gaskets. I recomend replacing the whole cover because the plug hole gaskets are not replaceable and new covers from Nissan are like 50 bucks each or so.

And having said all that, my 380K Xterra still has the original coils, as does my 140K frontier.

I haven't touched our 2019's yet, but based on some of the later model VQ35DE plug changes videos I've seen, it doesn't look like too bad a job to get the upper intake out of the way. I wouldn't replace the OEM coils if you're not having problems with them. I'd replace any boot that has signs of arching. The boots are replaceable. Aftermarket quality is just too hit/miss (no pun intended LOL) to risk it IMO.

Denso or NGK. Don't wander off into the aftermarket jungle.

1670350102163.jpg

There may be a big difference between OE and aftermarket from the same company eg Hitachi OE and Hitachi aftermarket.
But after some number of years, are the "real" OE ones even available ? For a '14, yeah, they might be, but after 10+ years or some time, I suspect the dealer parts and the aftermarket parts (from the same manufacturer, i.e. Hitachi, Denso, etc) might be the same. 🤷‍♂️ We'll never really know, of course....

There may be a big difference between OE and aftermarket from the same company eg Hitachi OE and Hitachi aftermarket.
Last time I ordered a set of Hitachi, made in Japan and had a small sticker with the P/N. Looked like a one-for-one to the OE Honda parts.

I doubt Hitachi wants to make a separate line for aftermarket, like say Bosch and to a lesser degree, Denso.

Reactions: JTK
Last time I ordered a set of Hitachi, made in Japan and had a small sticker with the P/N. Looked like a one-for-one to the OE Honda parts.

I doubt Hitachi wants to make a separate line for aftermarket, like say Bosch and to a lesser degree, Denso.

I think the problem today is it may say Hitachi and look totally legit to the regular guy, but it could be counterfit.

Economically (plus manufacturing plus logistic, etc, etc) it makes ZERO sense to make a lesser-grade component. You create tracking (quality) issues, you split your raw materials purchasing, assembly line switchovers, and so on. The only legitimate reason I could see it happening is contractual or licensing where the (in this case) automaker doesn't allow them to produce an identical part to sell on their own.

It still amazes me that so many parts (ignition coils, cam sensors, etc, etc) are so unique. There's little reason the automaker can't share parts across multiple applications.

Personally, I wouldn’t go replacing ignition coils just because. Coil on plug ignitions aren’t a consumable item. I generally take my vehicles to over 200k miles and I’ve never had one fail.

I’ve had issues with older style ignition packs and ignition cassettes, but never had any issue with a coil on plug.

SMP Intermotor parts (distributor cap/rotor) I've ordered for my Nissan Frontier appear to be the same as the OE Hitachi and say Made in Japan on the box.
I've had good luck with SMP / WVE / Intermotor. I get them at O'Reilly and look at them before buying them and if they're "Made in Japan", I take 'em.

Back