best 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Acura TL that calls for 5w20 oil.
I want to use regular not synthetic oil.
What oil would you all recommend. I have always used Kendall in my cars, use now Kendall 5w30 in Honda and in my previous TL. Never had any problems, they have 5w20 in Kendall, just wanting to know what you think. Mobil 5w20 is hard to locate.

The motorcraft 5W20 has posted some good UOA's and is readily available at Walmart. $1.89 per quart. I think pennzoil also offers a 5W20. The motorcraft is a synthetic blend. Plus a decent price.

Good luck.

You'll find that many Honda/Acura owners here use the following 5W20 dino oils: Pennzoil, Motorcraft/Conoco, Chevron Supreme, and Castrol. All have good additive packages and have done well on UOAs. I believe some folks like the Havoline as well.

I used Kendall many years ago but haven't recently. Don't see it mentioned often. Perhaps some of the experts will throw in their knowledge.

In our 02 Accord V6, I'm running Pennzoil dino 5W-20 with a little Molabrew added (Shaeffer's #132 and Lube Control (LC)), also using a little Fuel Power (FP)in the gas to help keep the fuel system clean.

My friend 427Z06 in Texas is a strong and articulate proponent of Mobil 1, in his hot-most-of-the-year climate.

STSinNYC and flynavydiesel summed it up nicely. I like semi-syns or syns in a little higher Vis for hard driving in the deep south with Honda V6s. If you're doing non-severe service type driving with 90 percent of your trips under 15 miles, these new 5w20s will probably do just fine.

For engines that spec 5w20 I would think one would want a full synthetic--group IV or V. And if using a full synthetic, then you probably can get away with a 5w30 or even 10w30 and have as good of oiling as with the blend 5w20.

quote:

Originally posted by dheel:

I have always used Kendall in my cars, use now Kendall 5w30 in Honda and in my previous TL. Never had any problems, they have 5w20 in Kendall, just wanting to know what you think. Mobil 5w20 is hard to locate.

Welcome to the forum . It's hard to beat the Motorcraft and it's 1.42 a quart pricing but the Kendall might be just as good . Here is what the additive pack of the Kendall looks like after 3k miles in a 302 Ford

Magnesium 13
Calcium 1790
Phos 864
Zinc 1093
Vi 9.01
TBN 4.35

Just curious, what does the Kendall cost where you live ?

I think Honda's own 5w20 is made to it's specs by Exxon. If you're changing your own oil, it's pricey - about $2.50/qt. However, if I ask for it, my dealer will put it in at the Expresslube for no extra charge. (They put Castol 5w30 in my '04 Honda if I don't specifiically request the Honda oil).

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike: [/qb]

Welcome to the forum . It's hard to beat the Motorcraft and it's 1.42 a quart pricing but the Kendall might be just as good . Here is what the additive pack of the Kendall looks like after 3k miles in a 302 Ford

Magnesium 13
Calcium 1790
Phos 864
Zinc 1093
Vi 9.01
TBN 4.35

Just curious, what does the Kendall cost where you live ? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info. I'm not postive but I think Autozone has the Kendall 5w30 for 1.59 a qt. Kendall 5w20 is hard to find, a oil distributor has it for I think around 1.89 a qt.
BTW, I'm new to all the oil analysis readings, so the readings you posted for Kendall are good?
What weight is that?

Don't think local Wal-Mart has the Motorcraft, believe the Walmart in larger city not far from me may have. Where is it 1.42 at? Thought someone posted it was a little higher than that at Walmart. Thanks again.

I believe that I have seen Pennzoil and Motorcraft 5W20 in every Wal-Mart I have been to. We do 80% highway driving and have been on Pennzoil for some time now.

My vote is for motorcraft 5w20. second runners up are Pennzoil 5w20 and Havoline 5w20. You'd have to try it in your particular application and see how your vehicle likes it, but for me that's how it stacks up.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dheel:
What weight is that?

Don't think local Wal-Mart has the Motorcraft, believe the Walmart in larger city not far from me may have. Where is it 1.42 at? Thought someone posted it was a little higher than that at Walmart. Thanks again.
The 5w-20 since we were on a Kendall 5w-20 topic I search and found the UOA of an old 302 Ford

$ 1.42 at Walmarts in Oklahoma City OK has dropped the price for some reason from 1.77 or something close.......I thought every Walmart carried Motorcraft ?

Kendall is a Conoco/Phillips product. I believe it is very similar to the Motorcraft oil. BTW I have seen Motorcraft 5/20 for $1.42 & $1.88 at Wal-Mart.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
My vote is for motorcraft 5w20. second runners up are Pennzoil 5w20 and Havoline 5w20. You'd have to try it in your particular application and see how your vehicle likes it, but for me that's how it stacks up.
cheers.gif

Just out of curiosity, why would you choose the Motorcraft over the Pennzoil? The Pennzoil has shown better UOA's than most, and as good as any.

quote:

So has every single UOA I've seen for the Pennzoil.

It sounds like you have a personal preference for Pennzoil and that any other oil would have to demonstrate far superior results for you to switch. That is fine, but does not call into question anyone choosing the Motorcraft product instead.

Your question could be easily turned around like this: Motorcraft 5W-20 is giving people great results, why would you choose to use Pennzoil instead?

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:

quote:

So has every single UOA I've seen for the Pennzoil.

It sounds like you have a personal preference for Pennzoil and that any other oil would have to demonstrate far superior results for you to switch. That is fine, but does not call into question anyone choosing the Motorcraft product instead.

Your question could be easily turned around like this: Motorcraft 5W-20 is giving people great results, why would you choose to use Pennzoil instead?

John

I'm really not trying to **** anyone off here, just trying to find out why someone would prefer the Motorcraft over the Pennzoil. I do have a personal preference for Pannzoil, but only because I've seen the numbers on this oil and they're impressive. I haven't seen the numbers for the Motorcraft and if they're better, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. I'm afraid I'm gonna need more to go though than someone just saying they prefer the Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back