Best 30wt Oil for a Nissan 3.0 SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running the Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM Blend in 10w-40 for the past 2000 miles. Have driven the truck like a wild Indian going to crap (90 mph in Atlanta traffic!!! on 4.68 gears
smile.gif
) and have done a lot of 5 mile trips as well. Now I think the 40wt oil is a bit much for this motor. It only holds 4qts with the filter and revs pretty high (at least to one who is used to a '72 Chevelle) and works fairly hard. What i am looking for is a 30wt oil of some variety (GC is hard to find here) that has a pretty high viscosity at temp but is lower than a normal 40wt oil. I have thought about a 3:1 ratio of M1 10w-30 and 15w-50. I have thought about Syntec 10w-30 Blend. I have looked at the various HM oils, and I just dont have a feel for which is best. i will be driving the truck from Charlotte to Pittsburgh through the WV mountains so I want something pretty stout in the additive and film strength departments.

Truck has 102k , automatic, 4x4, AC (will run
wink.gif
) new tranny fluid, plugs, air filter, etc

Thanks guys!!

The Mobile mix will work.

Redline has also okayed mixing 1 bottle of their 15W-50 in with Mobile 1.

Other Alternatives:

Torco SR-1 10W-30 12.27cSt @ 100C $4.75 Bottle + a total of $3.00 Shipping no matter how much you order.
It is also available in 5 gal pails and 55 gal drums. I really like Torco Oils.

Amsoil (HDD) Series 3000 5W-30 HDEO 11.5 cSt @ 100C

Schaeffer's #256 Pure Synthetic Straight SAE30 11.7 cSt @ 100C HT/HS 5.0
Borderline Cold Pumping Temp -35F (-37C) available 5 gallon pail (They dont show this size on site) and up only.
I think this oil would meet 10W and maybe 5W specs if they chose to market as Multi-Weight.

Gene

[ June 25, 2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

How do the High Mileage oils stack up in ths regard? I like the thickness but am unsure of the additives, base oils etc. Any info on these?

Well I think Havoline/Chevron HM and Pennzoil HM are 12.0 cSt @ 100C or in that range. Based on the fact he was asking about Mobile 1 but mentioned a HD additive pkg I thought he was looking for a Synthetic but with a real HD Additive package.

Based on other Pennzoil and Chevron/Havoline additive packages I would just grab which ever of the three is cheaper. They are usually pretty comparable. However no one has done a VOA of Chevron/Havoline HM yet.

Looks like Group II or II+.

Gene

[ June 25, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Ok looks like a blend or a high mile oil. What additives make the HM oils better? Moly, Zinc, Calcium? OR are the blends better due to their higher film strength, less shearing etc? I guess I want to know the general wisdom of the board on this issue. Looks like these are the best two options as the Mobil 1 thing would mean a change to complete PAO at 102k and that just might be asking for trouble with an engine that does not use a drop of oil in a 3k normal change.

Not sure if it's true or not, irish, but i've heard that if you use Mystik motor oil by Citgo, say 10W-30 grade, the people in Pittsburg will bow at your feat, chant your name, and throw coins and currency in your Nissan truck-bed.

Just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
Ok looks like a blend or a high mile oil. What additives make the HM oils better? Moly, Zinc, Calcium? OR are the blends better due to their higher film strength, less shearing etc? I guess I want to know the general wisdom of the board on this issue. Looks like these are the best two options as the Mobil 1 thing would mean a change to complete PAO at 102k and that just might be asking for trouble with an engine that does not use a drop of oil in a 3k normal change.

Sorry I misinterpreted your question earlier.

These HM oils we are talking about are SL oils so they are limited on the Zinc front. I would look for some seal conditioners and extra detergents like calcium, low volatility basestocks (hydrocracked) and some like these push the envelope on viscosity to help reduce oil consumption and maybe a little extra dose of the SL legal AW/EP agents. Someone noted he has seen the Havoline HM for $1.80 QT. I think these oils would be a pretty good buy if they fit your requirements.

Gene

I was looking at the Motorcraft 10w-30 (caught my eye a moment ago), it looks like a pretty decent oil, has good visc, and additives. How would it stack up against the HM oils from Castrol or Pennzoil?

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
I was looking at the Motorcraft 10w-30 (caught my eye a moment ago), it looks like a pretty decent oil, has good visc, and additives. How would it stack up against the HM oils from Castrol or Pennzoil?

SAE30 is 9.3-12.49 cSt @ 100C

Motorcraft Oils
10W30 (II or II+) 10.7 or 10.8 cSt
5W30 (II or II+) 11.0 or 11.1 cSt OLD

Conoco shows 0.1 lower than Fords figures but that data is form November of 2001 so I would not put to much faith in it.

The sheet has not been released on the new 5W-30 which appears to be a Group II or II+ / III Blend. It is not labeled as such but the back of the can says "Hydrocracked/Synthetic". It might be the best buy on the market at $1.42 QT @ WalMart but there is no way of knowing its viscosity without a MSDS until someone has a VOA done.

Gene

I'd probably pick up a 5 qt. jug of Castrol Syntec Blend at Wally's (lowest price I've seen) and go with that. The 10-30 is 11.5 @ 100C.

AutoZone want's to charge $2.79 a qt.
shocked.gif

I'm not selling anything. I just think it's about the best you can do without going to a full synthetic and be able to buy it retail.

Full Syntec 10-40 looks interesting, but pricey. It's a thin 40 wt. I'm going to run it in my Mitsu truck with 165K. I've been running the 10-30, but it thins too much. Since it's not a classic, real syn; I've never had any issues with it in older vehicles.

I run M1 and ATM in the cars, so I'm not biased toward Castrol. I just thought it fits.

Haley, thats my leaaning now as well. The HM and blend prices are just a few pennies different and I like the synthetic component.

I'd run the Amsoil 10w-30, ie "ATM"...it's formulated @ approx 12 centistokes, so it's a borderline 30wt/40wt to begin with. It also exceeds the ACEA, A3/B4 specifications for long drain interval service.

I have several local customers with Maxima V-6's that run the Amsoil 10w-30 and it does very well in a hot climate.

I'd also recommend the Amsoil synthetic ATF for the transmission, which will measurably lower your fluid temps....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd run the Amsoil 10w-30, ie "ATM"...it's formulated @ approx 12 centistokes, so it's a borderline 30wt/40wt to begin with. It also exceeds the ACEA, A3/B4 specifications for long drain interval service.

I have several local customers with Maxima V-6's that run the Amsoil 10w-30 and it does very well in a hot climate.

I'd also recommend the Amsoil synthetic ATF for the transmission, which will measurably lower your fluid temps....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

I totally agree with that, TooSlick, but I didn't think he wanted to go the syn route. ATM 10W-30 would be great, but he might have to be willing to do a cleaning??

The voa's don't show much, but ATM is pretty cool.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

In fact I have a box of ATM set out ready for my change on the 3800 Buick.
grin.gif
I'll be seeing if it prefers it over M1 10W-30?

[ June 26, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

The full "real" synth is not what I want to do with this engine at this stage. While I do not think that I would have any trouble out of it why take the chance? The Syntec Blend looks like the best-bang-for-the-buck oil that is widely available (as in EVERY Walmart, autozone, Advance Auto, etc) The Shaeffer oils look to be exceptional oils and I may begin to use them at some point.

ncirish,

I believe the Schaeffer's 7000 Blend 10w-30 would a good choice for you.

I put the Schaeffer's in my 94 altima and have been pleased with it so far. I am going to try this stuff in my 2k Maxima after the auto rx rinse cycle with Castol GTX 10w-30.

As for off the shelf, the Castrol GTX 10w-30 would be my choice followed by Havoline, and Pennzoil.

If you decide to go synthetic, TooSlick's choice of Amsoil ATM 10w-30 is a good one. Older Nissans tend to like this over the other Amsoil xw-30 viscosities. Nissans like heavier 30 weight oil for some reason.

[ June 26, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back