Best 20 Weight Oil for Fuel Dilution & Break-In.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Originally Posted By: JS2000
Two Part Question:

I'm in the early stages of owning my 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 L turbo motor. I'm preparing to find some fuel dilution when it comes to do a used oil analysis which may come around 10k kilometres give or take. I will likely pull a sample 1/2 way through the run and send it out for testing.

The latest VOA's of Honda's 0w-20 don't look like anything special, I'd be interested in the Mazda 0w-20 oil but it is geared to being thin for efficiency reasons and is thinner than the Honda fluid AFAIK. My personal preference would be to run Red Line's 0w-20, it looks to be very well built, but my Honda dealer won't likely install it if supplied to them and I've got a 5 year power train warranty that I need to maintain. I might explore asking them but I think that I know the answer.

My other choice would be between Amsoil signature series, Penzoil Ultra, or Mobil1.

Secondly, Honda's manual seems to indicate that most of the break-in is done by 600 miles, but the dealer always says to keep the factory oil until 5,000 miles +. I know two race engine builders in my area. One of them tells me that break-in of the rings is mostly done in the first 100 miles. The other builder breaks in his motors with a 1/2 dozen controlled runs on his engine dyno and that is it. Any suggestions how long I should leave the factory fill in this engine ?

Thanks for any replies.

Hi JS2000 - We'd love to offer you the opportunity to try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum through our Used Oil Analysis program. Through the program, we'd send you two samples of our motor oil along with testing supplies for Blackstone so you can compare the oil that's currently in your engine to Pennzoil Synthetics with results from an unbiased lab. If you're interested, please send us a private message for more details. Talk soon! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Thanks for the offer , I may just take you up on that, if you don't mind dealing with a Canadian ? I will pm you if the offer still stands for Canucks
smile.gif

I'm taking the Pennzoil taste test lol, thanks to Gena and the Pennz. sponsors for this great opportunity ! woot woot
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm taking the Pennzoil taste test lol, thanks to Gena and the Pennz. sponsors for this great opportunity ! woot woot
smile.gif

I just put PUP in my Fit thanks the Gena as well. I was somewhat amazed at how clear the oil is out of the bottle. I could barely see it on the dipstick. Engine runs a little smoother as well. Very interested to see how it holds up.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
smile.gif

I just put PUP in my Fit thanks the Gena as well. I was somewhat amazed at how clear the oil is out of the bottle. I could barely see it on the dipstick. Engine runs a little smoother as well. Very interested to see how it holds up.

Sounds good. I find clear oils very hard to read on dipsticks with my aging eyes. I'll be running the 0w-20 as the car will be run in cold winter temps.

I just did a first OC on a friends 2016 Civic 2L with 6400 miles. The old oil had grit in it. It looked like sand. I didnt feel it or have it analyzed, I just know it didnt look like oil that Ive changed on multiple dozens of cars in my 35 years of changing oil for myself, family and friends. A few years ago I saw black grit on a 2 yo Nissan Sentra dipstick and Ive seen metal shavings before in a few older cars with cheap filters but this was really strange for a new car.

Originally Posted By: larG
I just did a first OC on a friends 2016 Civic 2L with 6400 miles. The old oil had grit in it. It looked like sand. I didnt feel it or have it analyzed, I just know it didnt look like oil that Ive changed on multiple dozens of cars in my 35 years of changing oil for myself, family and friends. A few years ago I saw black grit on a 2 yo Nissan Sentra dipstick and Ive seen metal shavings before in a few older cars with cheap filters but this was really strange for a new car.

If there was grit in the oil then that was likely some sort of filter failure and should be reported to the dealer at once. Hopefully the filter has not been disposed of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back