Best 1911 deal around, Springfield Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold all my 1911's years ago as I had no use for them. Don't think they are good defensive use guns, they are heavy, and low capacity. That being said, I had a hole in my collection when I sold them all off. Enter the Springfield Armory defender 1911. It's basically their basic milspec model that comes in a cardboard box and with one magazine, marketed under their low price defender package for almost $200 off. I picked one up from Grabagun for $459. This is an absolute steal for a forged frame made in America 1911.

If you are looking for a budget 1911, I can highly recommend this Defender 1911 package. It's for a limited time only, so can't drag your feet.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defenders-series/

Originally Posted by tony1679
Might want to double check that made in America part...

Care to elaborate? Frame and all small parts should be made in America, and assembled here as well, as far as I can tell.

Please keep the political commentary to yourself.

The next post I have to remove will result in time away, and topic locked.

America is a very large continent.
thumbsup2.gif

How many 1911's have 100% of all parts made in the USA?
Less than half a dozen? (just a guess?)

I bought my Rock Island Armory (Armscor) 1911 for $279 brand new about 16-17 years ago. (Philippines made)
It's a very well made shooter, good fit, and runs well.

I, too - went on a little "1911 kick" back then, and it quickly wore off. (heavy and only 7/8 rounds)
I'd love to start a huge CZ-75 collection instead.

(My CCW is an old G22 (2nd gen) ex-LEO turn-in that I bought for $249 with brand new Trijicon sights.)

Originally Posted by M56959

wow I'm proud to buy American Made when ever I can nothing political abut that statement.

I, too - went on a little "1911 kick" back then, and it quickly wore off. (heavy and only 7/8 rounds)
I'd love to start a huge CZ-75 collection instead.

Since the average defensive shooting scenario involves 2 to 2.4 rounds (FBI stats, revolver vs. auto), and weight is known to positively correlate to accuracy, and a fully loaded CZ-75 weights about the same as a loaded full size 1911, I fail to see your point. Or rather, I don't think you have owned both guns and really know the pros/cons between them.

Last edited:

Made in the USA is political? You guys simply should delete the guns forum and get it over with. It seems it causes the site and you a lot of grief.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

Made in the USA is political? You guys simply should delete the guns forum and get it over with. It seems it causes the site and you a lot of grief.
Easy fellas, I misread it too. There was a political post that was removed before this post apparently.

I own several Springfield 1911's, and I've never had a single issue with any of them. That is indeed a very good buy. I have the Stainless Mil-Spec model, and it is a very good running weapon. I also like their 1911 magazines. When you buy their 1911's, (any model), they will give you a coupon that makes them very cost effective. I bought dozens this way. I have never had one that didn't feed properly, or lock the slide back on the last round.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Care to elaborate? Frame and all small parts should be made in America, and assembled here as well, as far as I can tell.

As far as I know Bubba, if the frame is stamped, "NM", it is made in America, and is also forged. The cast frames are made by Imbel in Brazil under license by Springfield, and it say's so on the frame.... At least that's the way it was a few years back. Some "NM" frames are shipped to Imbel and assembled there, then sold here. As far as where the small components are manufactured, that's anyone's guess. Gun manufacturers frequently change parts suppliers. But much like AR's, components are only made by a few companies that supply the entire industry.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Might want to double check that made in America part...

I asked my buddy (who is a huge gun guy, owns an XD-S, and knows every single law there is to know) if this was a decent deal. He said "not too bad" but he corrected the "made in America" part. I was overwhelmed with info and forgot some details, but it seems a lot of their manufacturing/parts (forgot what he said about labor/assembly) come from both Brazil and Croatia. Google *seems* to back this up as well.

The Imbel connection (at least with regard to 1911's) discontinued some years ago allegedly.

Where the raw forgings come from is undisclosed AFAIK.

I asked my buddy (who is a huge gun guy, owns an XD-S, and knows every single law there is to know) if this was a decent deal. He said "not too bad" but he corrected the "made in America" part. I was overwhelmed with info and forgot some details, but it seems a lot of their manufacturing/parts (forgot what he said about labor/assembly) come from both Brazil and Croatia. Google *seems* to back this up as well.

Most anything and everything associated with the XD is made in Croatia. That all started when Springfield bought the production rights to the HS-2000 that was originally designed by Marko Vuckovic, and was produced in the same plant as the XD is now.

Since then Springfield has modernized the plant and production facilities, and has spent millions on it. No 1911's have been produced there as of yet. That could easily change as production costs are substantially lower there.

As much of the hatred in the community there is of Rock Island, you can usually find a base model of theirs and upgrade the trigger and sights for fairly cheap.
1911's are so high priced for what they are, I understand the market behind them (it's a design that was used by the military = $$ regardless of brand)

I have a feeling Beretta M9's in 20 or so years will be up there in the 1000-1500$ market, just for the sole fact they're US Military affiliated.

The military association is certainly part of it's appeal, but it simply takes vastly more labor time to correctly put together a 1911, even a cheap one, than most guns. Labor = dollars.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
The military association is certainly part of it's appeal, but it simply takes vastly more labor time to correctly put together a 1911, even a cheap one, than most guns. Labor = dollars.

That's basically it. Forged frames and slides add slightly to the cost, as does cosmetics, (front strap checkering, high polished bluing, etc.). Along with machined small parts like hammers, slide stops and such, as opposed to MIM manufactured. But mostly it's in the fitting and assembly that drives up the cost. As always in manufacturing time equals money.

Also is the fact it's a 100% steel weapon. Steel is more costly and time consuming to machine than Aluminum framed guns like the M-9, and several of the Sig models. It wears out tooling much faster as well.

Another problem with the 1911 is it is more susceptible to tolerance stacking than most other semi auto pistols. Many of the parts, (slide, frame, barrel, bushing), can be within tolerance, and fit very loose, or else so tight it can, and often does, impede reliability. It's the reason some people praise a given manufacturer, while others badmouth the same. It all depends if you, "get a good one", or not.

Companies like Colt maintain better tolerance control and assembly. So their guns run more consistently and reliably. Albeit at a higher price. They also have a higher standard of finish than most 1911 manufacturers.

Right now for the money a Les Baer 1911 is one of the best buys out there. They are all hand fit, and use quality parts throughout. But many models don't require a second mortgage on your home to purchase. Rock Island builds an excellent low cost 1911. They are somewhat crudely finished, (at least the lower cost G.I. models), but they are very reliable, and have excellent triggers. They also come with a very good warranty.

Another problem area with 1911's more so than other pistols that effect reliability are magazines. Some like the Wilson Combat mags. usually run flawlessly in any gun, while other cheaper magazines cause nothing but feeding issues. I have 1911's that will run a given magazine with zero issues. While the same magazine in another model will cause problems.

A 1911 of any make is a gun you want to "prove out", by shooting several hundred rounds of different ammunition through as many magazines as possible. It will help break in the gun, and at the same time allow you to choose the most reliable combination of gun, magazine, and ammo that will give the most reliable performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back