Best 0w20 for Mazda 2.5 non turbo GDI

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a New Mazda CX-5 and this is the first GDI engine I’ve owned. It’s a 2.5 non turbo model.
It calls for 0w20. I plan on doing OCI every 5000 miles. Is there any consensus on what is the better oil to go with for my application?
The majority of the miles on this vehicle will be highway miles. Thanks in advance.

Blackstone Labs has noted that there is no discernable difference in engine wear rates when appropriately spec'ed oils are used. Using a quality air filter and oil filter will help prevent particulates from getting in your engine and remove as much as possible that may appear from normal usage.

Pretty much all 0w-20's are going to be full synthetic and will carry an additional Dexos1 approval from General Motors to ensure a higher quality standard beyond API SP/GF-6.

If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland Signature oil is an excellent value and is identical to Supertech Full Synthetic. Beyond that, you're welcome to look for other sales and rebates, or shop for the prettiest bottle.

Good morning everyone. I just purchased a New Mazda CX-5 and this is the first GDI engine I’ve owned. It’s a 2.5 non turbo model.
It calls for 0w20. I plan on doing OCI every 5000 miles. Is there any consensus on what is the better oil to go with for my application?
The majority of the miles on this vehicle will be highway miles. Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by best? To me the best 0W-20 oil would be a 0W-30.

What do you mean by best? To me the best 0W-20 oil would be a 0W-30.
Well when I say best or better I mean in terms of a GDI engine and some of the potential Carbon issues they may develop. I was curious to see if there was a particular brand that worked good in alleviating some of those issues for this particular engine. I know there is more to that issue then just oil and much of IVD happens because of the design I just wasn’t sure if some are better then others in that area.

I know this is bitog and everyone wants to do it yourself but....when I bought my CX-5 I bought a $380 service package that includes 10 oil and filter changes with tire rotation. Since Mazda requires 5000 mile or 6 month oil changes that covers all oil changes until the power train warranty expires. Another consideration was that the car had to be lifted to access the oil filter, back side of the engine. All my other cars can be done just reaching under. For me do it myself just wasn't worth it.

I know this is bitog and everyone wants to do it yourself but....when I bought my CX-5 I bought a $380 service package that includes 10 oil and filter changes with tire rotation. Since Mazda requires 5000 mile or 6 month oil changes that covers all oil changes until the power train warranty expires. Another consideration was that the car had to be lifted to access the oil filter, back side of the engine. All my other cars can be done just reaching under. For me do it myself just wasn't worth it.
I actually am a mechanic at a Municipality so it’s easier for me to do it myself in all honesty because I can use the lifts whenever I need to. Everything we run here in terms of pick ups or squad cars are MPI engines so I don’t have a ton of exposure to GDI engines and the issues that can come with them.

I just drive up on wooden ramps to get enough clearance to get under. Once the small access panel is off the drain plug and filter are right there. It’s one of the easiest DIY changes out there.

You don’t need a lift.

What’s the wording in Mazda’s literature? Any good 0W-20, ideally dexos1 approved works. If you live somewhere with hot summers or plan on long drives, a thicker oil isn’t a bad idea but not something to lose sleep over.

What’s the wording in Mazda’s literature? Any good 0W-20, ideally dexos1 approved works. If you live somewhere with hot summers or plan on long drives, a thicker oil isn’t a bad idea but not something to lose sleep over.
The owners manual is pretty non specific with any sort of min spec. Actually they appear to run 5w30 in this same engine in other countries vs the 0w20 they want for here. I’m guessing for fuel economy? The turbo version says if you can’t find any 5w30 10w30 is fine even. I sort of laughed at the way it was written when I saw it 😂. I’m gonna run Castrol edge for this first oil change at least as it seems to be in stock at every parts store I’ve been in plus Amazon.

Back