Berryman Diesel Oil Treament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comes in a 16 ounce can for 3 bucks . Part # 0519 and they have not added this new product to their website yet .

On the bottle it speaks of
containing powerfull antioxidants and metal deactivators with a lubricity agent ,Octylated diphenylamines , Substituted thiazole and Alkyl mercaptothiadiazole

16 ounces treats up to 15 quarts so I guess it could be cut down for a passenger car . That term lubricity is used around the net to include on the Cam 2 site where they talk about group II loosing some of it and they have an additive they sell to gain it back for lack of better description
smile.gif

This is a heck of an elemental analysis
tongue.gif

Magnesium 1
Calcium 2
Barium 3
Phosphorous 346
TBN 0.70
VI @ 100c 9.77

It's clean
smile.gif
. All other elements zero .

Hmmmmmmmm
smile.gif

With these numbers, how is this supplement supposed to achieve its claims? What am I missing here???!
dunno.gif

Wouldn't moly and zinc fall under the "extreme pressure" lube category? If there's a oil film that is doing its job then moly and zinc just go along for the ride. Since most diesel oils are heavily additized with zinc I wouldn't imagine that more would be needed.

I did a google search for some of the ingredients and was surprised to find them in Lubrication Engineers Almasol (sp?) product. I suspect that this is one of those products that you'd be very hard pressed to see any measurable performance gain unless you actually had a situation that required a additized fluid to prevent a recurring problem. Even then I seriously doubt that it would make much difference.

Cool, another one of those "subtractives" (the opposite of additive) that brings the OEM additive levels down a tad.

quote:

containing powerfull antioxidants and metal deactivators with a lubricity agent ,Octylated diphenylamines , Substituted thiazole and Alkyl mercaptothiadiazole

Steve S,

Take a look at

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000032#000000

and you will see what each of these chemicals do.

Lubricity is another, albeit obsolete, all-encompassing term for the oil's ability to provide friction reduction, to retain film strength, and to resist shear.

That term lubricity is used around the net to include on the Cam 2 site where they talk about group II loosing some .
Interesting as the wax and sulfer refined out of the oil is what provides the lubricity ,pao oils do not hove these impurities . What to do?

What about all the "hidden" additives that might not show up in the VOA? This seems to be the argument with the "in crowd" concerning VOA's that show nothing special in other products.

Yeah, the hidden ones... I hear that Berrymans is using HUGE quantities of sail boat fuel in the mix.

It doesn't show up on an oil analysis, and no internal combustion engine can run without it
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Dan

quote:

What about all the "hidden" additives that might not show up in the VOA? This seems to be the argument with the "in crowd" concerning VOA's that show nothing special in other products.

Some of those items shown below. Not an all exlcusive list by any means, but a good example.

quote:

None of these show up in a $35 analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back