Beretta moves manufacturing to TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Maryland legislature cost their state some jobs....hopefully it will cost some of the 'legislators' their jobs.

from 2006 to 2013 MD has gone from 12 Fortune 500 comanies to 3. The business climate across the border in Virginia is much friendlier. And as a result MD is getting its rear end handed to it.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Beretta should not sell to any law enforcement in that state.

lol why would a business refuse to take someone's money?

I love it. Drove by that factory for years and they made a lot of guns for the military there. Feel sorry for the people working there but hope they can move to Tn where they will be happier.

And I can think of a reason not to sell to law enforcement in some of these goofy anti-gun states. I think it is in NY where they have to have a 12 lb trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: loneryder
I love it. Drove by that factory for years and they made a lot of guns for the military there. Feel sorry for the people working there but hope they can move to Tn where they will be happier.

I'm just curious as to why they will be happier in Tennessee. Is it the:

Higher infant mortality rate (#4 vs #10)
Higher violent crime rate (#2 vs #9)
Higher Unemployment rate (#25 vs #36)
Lower Household Income (#43 vs #1)
Higher Persons below poverty level (#49 vs #11)
(All numbers from US Census Data/BLS)

Or maybe it's just the clean Smokey Mountain Air.
Greenest State (from Forbes, no less [2007]) (#43 vs #5)

Looks to me like those left behind by Beretta will do best by staying in Maryland.

Feel bad for the people in MD who lost their jobs, but I can't blame Beretta. MD has gone off the rails in the past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: theKman

Looks to me like those left behind by Beretta will do best by staying in Maryland.

You cherry picked a few negative statistics. I've never considered the infant mortality rate when deciding where to live. How about the fact that TN has no state income tax? The state of Maryland taxes you for the amount of rain that falls on your property to help clean the Chesapeake Bay. Because it is your fault that the bay is dirty.

Look at the positive...Tennessee needs better jobs and Beretta will supply good jobs. It will also no longer operating in a state that is unfriendly to their business. We here in Iowa got Les Baer after Illinois became so unfriendly to their business and continued existence that they picked up and came across the Mississippi River. The community welcomed them with open arms.

Last edited:

I agree. Northeasterners should definitely stay clear of dumps like TN. It's terrible there. And FL too. Never come to FL. Just awful around here. You don't know and don't want to know how bad it is.

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is when people form up north (north east) move south to get away from high taxes, unfriendly business climate etc.....and then they start voting for the same types that created the situation up north.

Originally Posted By: pbm
One thing I don't understand is when people form up north (north east) move south to get away from high taxes, unfriendly business climate etc.....and then they start voting for the same types that created the situation up north.

I think part of the reason is that where they are moving is relatively "virgin" territory. After a number of years a friendly business climate results in the same sort of outcomes (pollution, noise, lack of funds for state services) as they had in the places from whence they came. The result is that they fight further development, enact new regulations, and levy new taxes.

The state has no money to build new highways. To "provide" much needed mobility all the new highways - and I do mean ALL - are toll roads. I don't want to debate the concept. I am just making the point that it's a "tax." Instead of increasing gasoline taxes we just pay $100-150 a month (more than I spend on gas) in tolls if you need to use them. Given the fact that they connect the most rapidly growing areas of the region you end up with no real options.

I am seeing it as we speak happening in rapidly growing places like Frisco and McKinney. For example, Frisco booted an Exide battery recycling plant that had predated the residential development by decades. I agree that I wouldn't want to be around such a hazard, but nobody cared until the place was surrounded by McMansions. At that point, they had no problem utilizing their government to remove the issue.

People move to an area like this in droves, mess it up, and then move on to the next utopia. Human nature from the beginning of civilization.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
It makes me want to purchase a pair.
My Wife's favorite pistol is the M9, BTW.

It's my wife's favorite as well. It's a quality firearm and a full size service pistol in 9mm has both high capacity and low recoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back