Beretta 92S LEO trade-ins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id pay about $250 for one of those. I bought a decent police surplus 92FS for $275 once. Bought a ton of Glocks for $280-$315. You can get a brand new Smith & Wesson SD9VE for $270 several times a year. Its new, reliable, has a rail so you can mount a flashlight for home defense. The Taurus PT111 G2 is $240, and 100% reliable unlike some of their other guns. And I HIGHLY recommend the Canik TP9V2 or TP9SF which can be found for $330-$350. The SAR B6P (CZ75 clone) can be found under $270.

It is a good price as long as they don't show actual wear. Last time I bought a police trade in (S&W 5903), it showed holster wear, but in terms of the internals, it looked very gently used.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Id pay about $250 for one of those. I bought a decent police surplus 92FS for $275 once. Bought a ton of Glocks for $280-$315. You can get a brand new Smith & Wesson SD9VE for $270 several times a year. Its new, reliable, has a rail so you can mount a flashlight for home defense. The Taurus PT111 G2 is $240, and 100% reliable unlike some of their other guns. And I HIGHLY recommend the Canik TP9V2 or TP9SF which can be found for $330-$350. The SAR B6P (CZ75 clone) can be found under $270.

Do the Glocks ever require any gun smithing? I have zero experience with LEO trade-ins, but I have heard they put thousands and thousands of rounds down them and consider them lightly used.

Lately, I've seen LEO Glocks about $150-$200 less than new and they only come with 1 mag. Every once in a while, you'll find a non-issued model that wouldn't be so bad.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do the Glocks ever require any gun smithing? Lately, I've seen LEO Glocks about $150-$200 less than new and they only come with 1 mag. Every once in a while, you'll find a non-issued model that wouldn't be so bad.

You should replace the springs on ANY used police trade in gun if you plan on using it for defensive use. If its just a range gun, then just shoot it.

On a Glock, you can completely disassemble, clean, and replace all the springs for about $20.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have zero experience with LEO trade-ins, but I have heard they put thousands and thousands of rounds down them and consider them lightly used.

Thats going to vary officer to officer. In Florida, officers are only required to shoot 46 rounds a year for annual qualification. And believe it or not, most of them only shoot 46 rounds a year. So it is very easy to find police trade in guns with less than 1000 rounds fired through them.

My last issued duty gun (West German Sig P226) was 25 years old when it was issued to me and 28 years old when I turned it in. It was in excellent shape, fully serviceable, 100% reliable. Internals looked good, externals looked a bit worn.

If you get an academy gun, that they keep and use at the academy, it could have 300,000 rounds down range.

At least with wheel guns, and now non-plastic 9mms(Berettas, 3rd gen S&Ws, etc) a lot of "police guns" out there these days tend to be corrections or private security guns.

I've found that these often look like [censored] on the outside, but have been meticulously maintained by an armorer and have been shot very little.

My last "police" gun was an S&W model 64. This is the stainless steel model 10 equivalent. Mine has a 4" heavy barrel. It is factory double action only, with no single action seer and a bobbed hammer(made that way-not a dremel job). It is a pre-MIM gun-I'd guess late '80s.

The sideplate is badly dimpled and scratched-it looks like a set of keys banged against it for years(making me think it was a corrections gun). The grips got switched to a nice but not perfect set of Goncalvo Alves Magna grips as soon as I got it home from my FFL. I have the "originals" as a conversation piece-the originals have the left side checkering gone completely and the left grip has about 1/2" of missing wood on the bottom from nothing but wear. In other words, it was carried a lot-probably in a hip holster on the waist of someone a bit on the "rotund" side.

Even so, the bore was spotless and I doubt there had been 200 rounds down the pipe. It's my preferred nightstand gun, and I've been known to open carry it(although I now usually use my 19 for that). If you read Massad Ayoob, the fact that it's double action only makes it almost an ideal gun for self defense.

94JeepCherokee said:
Does anybody else here think that a few thousand rounds is still considered lightly used?[/quote

Considering that I can easily shoot 500 in a range trip(especially with my bunny [censored] reloads) I'd say not.

Granted, I think a lot depends on the gun. 3000 38 special wadcutters through a heavy frame revolver is nothing. 3000 hot magnums might be enough to loosen it up.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The SAR B6P (CZ75 clone) can be found under $270.

+1 I just got one for $254.00. It's excellent.

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
Does anybody else here think that a few thousand rounds is still considered lightly used?

I do. Even SAR arms says to replace the springs at 10,000 rounds and the barrel at 25,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back