Benefits of 17in wheels over stock 15in

ok, in that case, the Sumitomo/Falken options are probably the best tires for you in the stock size.

If summer tires will work, there is this Bridgestone RE760 :D
I can't say I've been in a vehicle at autocross on UHP AS tires, so maybe they are half decent? I have driven autocross cheater tires like RE-71R's and UHP summer tires like the sport comp2 and new Firehawk Indy 500's on Focus's and similar cars. The UHP summer tires are quite the transformation in grip, especially on the street. You won't believe how the car feels on a well banked on/off ramp... The 200TW autocross cheater tires wear and/or heat cycle too much for the average driven DD IMO, but the Firehawks and sport comp2 level of tires feel pretty decent even at autocross (not really competitive though) and are more streetable for more miles.
Also don't be afraid of a higher profile grippy tire for the street, I had my 95 Neon on 205/60R13's Sumitomo UHP summer tires many years ago, and it was very nice to have lots of grip, more gradual breakaway to sliding(good for having fun on the street), and a big fat sidewall to suck up stuff like railroad crossings without slowing down. On a lapping day they weren't great and r-comps were better for sure, but you can't drive that hard on the street and expect to live.

Last edited:
First, Tire Rack lists the proper 17" for a Focus a 215/50R17.

Second, the differences between make/model of tire has more influence than the change in tire size. Having said that, if you move to 17", you are in a different range - one oriented towards higher grip, less wear, worse fuel economy, worse snow traction, and worse ride.

So the first thing you have to decide is what are you trying to accomplish and are you willing to live with the downside.

Further, you could move up in actual size - say from 215/50R17 to 225/50R17, but I'll bet 235/50R17's will rub! Plus there is only a tiny advantage to moving up in size - the main one being looks.

For a relative point of reference, my car came oem with 235/45r18. I changed to 235/50r17. slightly more sidewall, same width and diameter. it’s a far better match for the car. The ride is still plenty cat-footed on the ground. Steering is a smidge lighter. small bumps such as cracks and gravel are cut in half, moderate cracks and problems aren’t as jarring. Sound from road imperfections is reduced. Rolling noise is about the same. The 18“ to 17” wheels have the same width and offset.

Bought the 17in wheels. The 235 tires doesn't rub. that being said I'm considering going with the 225/45R17 that would keep my speedometer accurate from the 195/65R15. The focus st had a 235/40R18 the other focuses had 215/50R17. I'd think a 215/50R17 or a 225/45R17 would be a nice compromise while leaning towards dry handling.

Keep the 15's and better tires if you want better handling.

Another idea is to get 16" wheels with the tire size 205/55-16 which is a very common tire size. use the 16's for summer use, and keep the 15's for winter use and snow tires, if winter/snow is something you have to deal with.

The Fusion's tire size is too big for your Focus.

Bigger wheels and no-profile tires are fragile, ride worse, and get worse gas mileage. I see no upsides.
This^^^^^^^^^!!!! Save your money, and, as suggested, above, buy a better quality tire. Consider buying a fuel conserving tire and save additional monies.

if you have Forscan, you may be able to update the tire size in the computer (to one of the sizes that was available on that model) and that should fix the speedo issue.

I know in my 09 Sable, there was a drop down to choose either the 215/60 R17 from the Base Model, or the 225/55 R18 my Premier had. I forget where... what Module... but it was in there...

This^^^^^^^^^!!!! Save your money, and, as suggested, above, buy a better quality tire. Consider buying a fuel conserving tire and save additional monies.
Not very many performance oriented tires in 195/65R15

4 225/45R17 riken raptors installed made it an entirely different car!!! Handles soooooo much better!! Even rides better it's less jittery and nervous feeling. 1000% better in every way as far as I can tell.

Back