Benefit to D1G2 in older vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me define "older vehicles" - any multi-port injected vehicle older than 2010ish. I have been noticing that the red bottle MaxLife and most other syn-blend or conventional type oils don't meet the Dexos 1 Gen 2 certification - barring some exceptions. I know that a big reason for the Gen2 spec was protection against LSPI in DI engines. According to the GM marketing machine, it also provides these benefits (pulled from the ACDelco site):

--
"Advantages of dexos1 Gen 2 Full Synthetic Engine Oils:
Helps maintain maximum fuel economy
Reduces sludge and improves engine cleanliness
Significantly reduces low speed pre-Ignition
Offers superior wear protection
Reduces turbocharger deposits
Improves oxidation control
Is a Full synthetic oil without the full synthetic price."
--

So back to my original question - If I'm a regular user of these types of oils, should I care that red bottle MaxLife (or similar) doesn't meet the Gen2 spec in a non-DI vehicle? Personally, I'm running full syns at the moment, but I've used the high-mileage blends in the past. If I'm considering this type of oil for my older vehicle, is there a tangible benefit to the upgraded Gen2 formulations, or is it just marketing fluff?

It's not all marketing fluff, but you shouldn't worry about running MaxLife (or other HM brands) in any engine not specified to run d1g2.

Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic is dexos1 Gen2. LSPI prevention, sure, yet dexos1 Gen2 also has new timing chain wear tests and oxidation tests.
Its progress. A tougher spec than before. Proven better oil thru tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back