Benefit of LC in my 6-month OCI condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I already read the FAQ on LC/FP, which only has FAQ's on FP, and nothing on LC, or I missed it totally. (I don't think so, though).

I just bravely finished my 1st 6-month, 6500 mile OCI in my short trip driven 4.6 Tbird with MC mix and vsot...this is my longest OCI todate on this car, and I'm consdiering what I could do to help the oil in the next 6-months, so I can sleep a little better than I did during the last 6 mo.

The oil which it has right now for the winter is Mobil clean HM 10/30(which is NOT thicker than the regular Mobil 10/30).

The car runs almost only short trips, and I'm thinking of using LC.
2 things concerns me:
1) some people have reported increase in oil consumption with LC (which I just got to stop in my car, after a long time, pretty sure solely with VSOT)
2) reports of LC thinning out the host oil?
my Tbird seems happiest with moderately thick mixes (has 110k proud miles now)

in spite of these reports, do you guys think my car can benefit from LC?
I'm thinking of continuing to use VSOT with the LC to combat the 2 fears I listed above.

what do you guys think?
Thanks a lot for any advice.
I just noticed!!! This is my 1000th post on BITOG!!! a milestone in my life
smile.gif
smile.gif
fruit.gif

Although I had bought the LC for the two cars I recently dumped 6 oz of LC in the 3 gal crankcase of the truck, which had 1k left before a change. It's been getting cooler and being a good diesel it makes more clickety-tickety sounds when warming up. Fresh oil seems to make for a quieter engine (Stanadyne does the most good), as does a synthetic blend, and the LC seemed to also quieten the engine a bit too.

It strikes me that you could benefit from using the LC20, but I question using it with VSOT.

I would also be inclined to give it two AutoRX runs, prior to using LC20.

You have a fair amount of miles on the vehicle being its a 97 and it evidently has had very little highway use. Give it a good run periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back