belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed that belts don't seem to last that long these days? I use NAPA (Gates) belts, but am open to trying a different brand if someone has a recommendation.

I just replaced a set of Gates belts that had probably 80,000 miles on them. They were past due for sure. I always liked Gates belts, but gave Dayco a try since they were the only belts I could easily get. So far so good.

Replaced the OEM belt on my Cherokee with 155K miles. Probably wouldn't have even bothered yet but they failed on inspection for it.

I think I replaced it with a Dayco PolyCog. 20K miles on it so far...

Last edited:
Goodyear makes a serpentine that's the bees knees. Has deliberate cuts in the grooves that I assume help flex and grip. The cuts line up diagonally, I presume for noise reduction.

The rubber feels rubbery, not half glazed out of the box

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Goodyear makes a serpentine that's the bees knees. Has deliberate cuts in the grooves that I assume help flex and grip. The cuts line up diagonally, I presume for noise reduction.

The rubber feels rubbery, not half glazed out of the box

Goodyear Gatorbacks. Yes, they are for noise reduction. I've used a couple of these, but nobody locally sells them, so I normally use Gates.

Carquest which are made by Gates and Dayco are also tweo good choices.I have seen the price of one belt from Chrysler and the aftermarket.The factory belt was cheaper than the aftermarket and it was for a sebring with a 2.7,the Alternator and A/C belt

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I'm a Goodyear Gatorback man.

1+ 140K miles on my belt before selling car, no noticeable wear.
Recently, replaced both OEMs in my saturn with these, so far so good 30K miles later.

Originally Posted By: kgb007stb
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I'm a Goodyear Gatorback man.

1+ 140K miles on my belt before selling car, no noticeable wear.
Recently, replaced both OEMs in my saturn with these, so far so good 30K miles later.

Thanks, guys, I'll probably give Goodyear a try next time. Is there any place you guys would recommend where I could purchase them online?

I start with ebay, then move to google or yahoo shopping comparing prices to get the best deals. These sites usually throw me to summit racing and rock auto among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back