Belt In Oil (BIO) and Oil Spec

Trust Ford they know what they doing Folks
Yea, no.

One only has to look at the early PTU units with their 'lifetime fill' and 1/2qt capacity, or 5.4L sparkplugs, or any number of things. EVERY manufacturer gets it wrong sometimes. Sometimes more than once on any given item.

Not foolish to look at a 'weak link' and look at ways to improve your odds.

This is exactly why I don't trust them calling for a 150,000 mile OCI on my 10R80. Not that it is engineered poorly, it might be, but there are beancounters in the mix that screw things up for the engineers all the time.

No, as previously discussed, the 1.0L has a wet timing belt, and so does the 1.5L non-turbo 3cyl Dragon. But the 1.5L EcoBoost 3cyl Dragon has a timing chain with a wet-belt-driven oil pump

This is correct. Saw the ford manual at the dealer with my own eyes. 1.5l ecoboost 3 has a chain! Im at 130,000 on my 21 escape. Motor runs perfect

Trust Ford they know what they doing Folks

I trust that Ford does the lowest cost design that is designed to fail. Countless people screwed over by Ford Focus DCT's wasnt enough to tank the company.

I Do Cars strips down engines for a living, and the belt on this 1.0 looked absolutely horrid. This engine is on my permanent s**t list.

I trust that Ford does the lowest cost design that is designed to fail. Countless people screwed over by Ford Focus DCT's wasnt enough to tank the company.

I Do Cars strips down engines for a living, and the belt on this 1.0 looked absolutely horrid. This engine is on my permanent s**t list.

What gets me is that the new I3's have a timing chain but still use an oil pump belt. What sense does that make?

What gets me is that the new I3's have a timing chain but still use an oil pump belt. What sense does that make?
Just like the newest 5.0Ls in the F-150. They now have a wet belt for the oil pump drive

It's funny....every manufacturer in the 80s and 90s who used a timing belt (I like them) did everything possible to keep the belt dry. If a seal leaked and the belt got contaminated, it either broke or got replaced before it broke.

I've worked on Honda OPE with the wet belts, and yes they work. But a lawnmower is basically designed to last 3-500 hours. Not what I want in a car engine.

Gear drive pump, and a DRY timing belt would be my preference for these compact engines.

I saw that also. I had no idea engines existed with a timing belt that is open to the sump like that. Seems like a terrible design to me, but I'm sure it has something to do with keeping the overall package compact. Still, I would prefer not to have such a setup.

Olá!
Quão importante é a especificação do óleo em relação a uma bomba de óleo acionada por correia como no Ford 1.5L 3cyl 'Dragon' EcoBoost?

Este motor tem uma corrente de distribuição, mas uma bomba de óleo acionada por correia. A correia da bomba de óleo funciona no óleo do cárter.

A Ford pede um 5W-20 WSS-M2C960-A1, mas eu adoraria usar um 5W-30 para longevidade. Minha única preocupação em usar um 5W-30 é danificar esta correia e causar danos ao motor.

Existe algum 5W-30 que não danifique uma correia molhada?

Obrigado pela ajuda
O que aconteceu com aquela correia dentada banhada em óleo, que aciona a bomba de óleo, é simplesmente que ela começa a se decompor prematuramente, em alguns casos aos 40k e dentro do período de garantia; Os resíduos causam bloqueios no sistema de lubrificação, causando quebra do motor com sérios danos.

Back