belt and wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 10 years using my trusty Nautica wallet that I think i paid only $25 for, its starting to fall apart. I'd just like some suggestions on a good leather wallet, I'm used to tri-fold wallets, but iI'm not averse to a billfold. Also, is a front pocket wallet much better than a regular one? I dont mind spending a few $$$ to get a decent one that will last me 10-15 years. I also bought a nice Dockers leather belt two years ago to attend my grandmothers funeral, I only planned on using it for funerals and "dressy" events, but I've found myelf using it almost everyday since, its starting to split near the holes. Suggestions on a durable leather belt that can be worn with nice clothes and everyday attire would be appreciated. Thanks. I rather spend a few bucks on leather items that will last a long time versus having to buy new every few years.

Visconti makes great wallets. They’re about $50 or more I think. I like them because they wear well and most have a coin pouch.

Anything top grain leather will work for a belt. See if you have a local shoe maker that sells/makes belts. Most leather belts sold in stores are split grain. I have an American Eagle belt that's top grain leather and I've worn it daily for probably 5 years now and it's still in great condition. Wear it skiing even.

Wallets? I keep my wallet in my front pocket and cant stand one that is thick. Once you get a minimalist wallet, you'll never wanna go back to an old thick wallet again. And I no longer keep business cards in my wallet people hand to me which only makes it thicker. If you get one that will last for 20 years, it will suck to put in your front pocket. I have an Allett wallet and it's made in the USA.

https://www.all-ett.com/product/slim-leather-sport-wallet/

I struggled to find the perfect wallet for years. I went into the coach store with my wife once so she could look at purses. I found a men's wallet in there that I had to have. It was $125 but I feel it was worth it. Its a bi fold and made of top quality leather and its nice. Not too thick either. I like carrying it in my back pocket but I always take it out when I drive. this is the one I have in brown: http://www.coach.com/coach-slim-billfold-id-wallet/74900.html?dwvar_color=BLK

Several years ago I bought a Dockers-branded leather trifold, and it still looks/works great.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Wallets? I keep my wallet in my front pocket and cant stand one that is thick. Once you get a minimalist wallet, you'll never wanna go back to an old thick wallet again. And I no longer keep business cards in my wallet people hand to me which only makes it thicker. If you get one that will last for 20 years, it will suck to put in your front pocket. I have an Allett wallet and it's made in the USA.

https://www.all-ett.com/product/slim-leather-sport-wallet/

So true. Screw all that junk to drag around. I don’t keep mine in the back pocket either and most time pitch it on the console. When I do carry it it’s front pocket left side with the other front being reserved for my Ruger LCP.
A buddy of mine told me that his chiropractor warned him about fat wallets. He said they were really rough on your spine when you drive a lot. It makes sense.

Back in 1973, an old gentleman I worked with had a hobby of working with leather. Belts, wallets, bridles, etc... He was truly gifted. I honestly didn't know someone could be that good with the quality and craftmanship he produced. Everything he made had a wait time of three months or more. My dad was hard on wallets due to the nature of his job. I decided to get him a wallet from "Jimbo". Ordered it so he'd have it by Christmas that year. My dad passed away on October 3rd, 2015. As I handled his affairs, my mom had passed away a month and a half earlier, I was amazed to see he still used that same wallet after 42 years. And, for what my dad put that through, it was still in pretty decent shape. I gave it to my sister as a momento. I just use cheap wallets now and replace them when necessary. But, if I could get a wallet made by Jimbo, I'd do it, pay whatever he wanted for it, and never look back.

Last edited:
Have had a Tumi wallet many, many, years … still looks new
Best belt I have is a US made Johnston & Murphy that matches their wingtips (dress up only)

Have a Carhartt rigger belt that is pretty sturdy …. Their triple stitch also looks durable ~ might try next …

Get a custom made dual layer Beltman gun belt. Buy 1.25 for dress pants and 1.5 for jeans, khakis etc. get horsehide if you can spend a few extra bucks. Guaranteed the best belt you ever wore. I have six.

I've come to like bi-fold wallets with zippers. There are some really light weight and high quality ones that work very well. They may not last 15 years, but my cards can't fall out. I am currently using this one, I purchased at WalMart:

175828ab-2a09-4fd3-913a-21236b4ef096_1.fde3b61dfb399bba67f65a4ba78e81a2.jpeg

Love this wallet: Saddleback Leather Medium Wallet

Everything this company makes is terrific. Best quality. Have a couple of their products, and have given a few as gifts. I don't have one of their belts, not yet, it I'll wager it's excellent as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back