Believe the hype: the GERMAN CASTROL is the real deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AutoZones here in the San Francisco Bay Area seem to stock the German Castrol. I picked up a case yesterday. To my surprise, they were running a six for the price of five special, so my average price was only $4.16 per quart!

The distribution pattern is odd. It is available in GA and SC where it is very mild in the winter, but not in AR. Maybe it has to do with proximity to distibution centers or previous demand for 0W30. (But why would there be sufficient demand in the deep south but not in a state like Arkansas where, in certain parts of the state, it can get pretty cold?) I think you will eventually see it!

[ September 05, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I have looked for the german castrol as well. but here in Memphis. the temps are in the high 90's in the summer and in the winter high 20's in january. might not see it until the winter if at all. I think alot of people are still scared of the 0w-30 weight even if it is a synthetic for some reason. some stores might think it might collect dust on their shelves.
lol.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

magbarn,

Stay out of O.C.!
grin.gif

I hereby claim them as my own in the quest for nirvana.
cool.gif

I don't know where you live but you may have the AutoZone off the 71 in Chino.
tongue.gif
You're welcome.

magbarn/Flashlightboy,

With the exotica in and around Newport Beach, it would be a travesty not to be inundated with GC (German Castrol). There are 10 Autozones within 11 miles of Newport Beach!

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but is the Euro Castrol a group 111 synthetic oil? Has any virgin and used oil analysis test been run on this product?

I just got finished running 5k miles with the Euro Castrol 5w-40 synthetic in an OEM filled 2003 Jetta TDI (DIESEL). Incidently I know for sure that the Euro Castrol is carried at VW dealers and go from 6.50-9 dollars per qt. I am told it is the BLACK bottled container.

The second oil change was to Mobil Delvac One group lV synthetic. While I realize the protection numbers are very very good. I did NOT notice any SOTP's differences. However at 5 dollars a quart it is another small advantage going with Delvac One 5w-40.

[ September 05, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

At the rate you people are promotiing this product, by this time next year John Force will be speaking German and driving a TFFC BMW.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but is the Euro Castrol a group 111 synthetic oil? Has any virgin and used oil analysis test been run on this product?

Yes. At least two VOAs have been posted, and several UOAs.

My theory is that this oil is about 80% Group V (esters) and 20% Group III. The primary component of the base oil blend has to be esters because of the extremely low pour point this oil has (-81°F). A predominantly PAO or Group III oil simply could not have a pour point that low.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
I have looked for the german castrol as well. but here in Memphis. the temps are in the high 90's in the summer and in the winter high 20's in january. might not see it until the winter if at all. I think alot of people are still scared of the 0w-30 weight even if it is a synthetic for some reason. some stores might think it might collect dust on their shelves.
lol.gif

I've seen it at AutoZone on Germantown Pkwy this week, better hurry before I go on a shopping spree!
grin.gif

quote:

You can't beat a 12.1 vis at 100 C!!! $4.99 a quart for an oil composed mainly of esters

Another German Castrol post, oh boy.
rolleyes.gif

Well, it seems the US one is the same so don't worry about trying to find the A3 one.
grin.gif
Do we have a VOA of the US syntec to end this debate?

Lately, I'm perfectly fine with a lower viscosity oil. 12.1cst is almost a 40wt so you probably will loose a few HP and MPG in your Civic. For a LS1 this would be idea, but a Civic would probably do better with M1 0w-20 IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
Why would it be 20% Group III and not Group IV? If it contained Group III, it couln't be called synthetic according to European laws, no?

It could very well be 20% Group IV.

As for the European "laws" and what can and can't be called "full synthetic," no one on here has uncovered the magic formula yet. But by digging arround on some European web sites and looking at various MSDS sheets, it seems that if the PRIMARY component in the base oil blend is Group IV or Group V, an oil can be labeled "full synthetic." It can still have some Group III (or Group II or I) in it, but the primary component has to be Group IV or V. If the primary component of the base oil blend is Group III (even if it has some Group V in it), it can't be labeled "full synthetic."

As an example, the MSDS for Shell Helix Ultra 0w40 lists PAO at about 60%, XHVI (a Group III) at about 20%, and esters at about 10%. This oil is labeled "full synthetic."

[ September 05, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

Originally posted by guitargeek:
Perhaps this a a dumb question, but how do you tell if it's from Germany or not?

guitargeek,

First find a 0W30 bottle with the weight in a RED not YELLOW block and then look on the back for this (courtesy of G-Man II)
 -

The back is the important thing because there are a few red label bottles that are not from Germany.

My sons Ford Focus DOHC Zetec 2.0L did not like the German oil much. It was smooth and quiet, but it lost over 1 mpg and felt slower. Replaced with Castrol Blend 5w-20 and all seems well again. Torco 0W-20 (main used oil) going in next.

I just get back from a banzai 3,000 plus mile trip to the Pacific Northwest (from Southern California) taking my sons to university. I drove my work/recreation 97 Ford Aerostar AWD 4.0L.

This ol beast has over 190,000 miles with Synergyn, Torco, Mobil 1 and a few others being used. For this trip, I changed to German Castrol w/Bosch filter. Van ran sweet!. No start up noise, mpg was 20-22 (top range when freeway and loaded). Oil still German green after this trip.

This oil just seems to toughen up and not knuckle under when it is HOT! I can sense it getting thicker and thicker as the temps climbs LOL! A thin oil it is not!

I just bought more (building inventory LOL) as my 2 4.6L vehicles are next up for the German vunder oil......

[ September 05, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Another German Castrol post, oh boy.
rolleyes.gif

Buster, tell us what you are excited about and we'll share YOUR excitement too!

quote:

Well, it seems the US one is the same so don't worry about trying to find the A3 one.
grin.gif

Upon what significant evidence are you basing your projection that US and GC are the same?

cheers.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back