Believe the hype: the GERMAN CASTROL is the real deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ray H:
Dunno when it will happen, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on this stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray, not a problem, as long as the other shoe that drops is, "If you liked our German 0W30, wait til you try our German 0W40."

Too late for me--just bought the last 6 quarts at an Autozone here in Denver. Even if the shoe does drop, the buy 5, get 1 free offer makes it too good to pass up
smile.gif

Rexman,

I'm not expecting it to happen THAT soon...enjoy your 0W30. (Just don't get caught on a lonely road by a guy in an SUV!)
lol.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Guys, just curious, why don't some of you who are looking for a heavier 30wt oil run Amsoil 5w/10w-30?

Because I can drive two miles down to my local Autozone and buy the German Syntec. Can't do that with Amsoil. And the German Syntec has a pour point of -81°F, which means it's mostly (if not totally) ester based. Amsoil isn't. Because it actually MEETS the more demanding European extended drain specs. Amsoil doesn't. Because it's cheaper than Amsoil.

Want me to go on?
grin.gif

quote:

Amsoil does meet the A3 spec for all 30wt oils.

Better read their web site and labeling a little more closely. It says "Recommended for applications Requiring the Following Specifications:" Then it gives a long list of specs, including A3. Being "recommended for" and actually MEETING the spec are two different things.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I'm not expecting it to happen THAT soon...enjoy your 0W30. (Just don't get caught on a lonely road by a guy in an SUV!)
lol.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

pscholte,

Thanks for the tip! Yup, the SUV guys in General Topics seem pretty worked up--hope they aren't forming a vigilante party to come get me!
grin.gif
Guess I better get the oil changed right away--the magic German elixir might give just enough of an edge for me to get away!

P.S. Don't worry--I know there's no room in your basement to hide--it's probably filled to the brim with the G-stuff!
wink.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

quote:

Better read their web site and labeling a little more closely. It says "Recommended for applications Requiring the Following Specifications:" Then it gives a long list of specs, including A3. Being "recommended for" and actually MEETING the spec are two different things.

Do you really believe it doesn't meet these specs? Maybe they don't want to pay to have them done since the US is their main market. I see no reason why they can't meet them. I agree, the wording isn't as clear as it should be, but I'm sure these oils would meet them.

Buster,

I understand your point, but the whole purpose of having standards is so you: (1) know exactly what you are getting based on established standards and established testing procedures; (2) can then make comparisons between products. If Amsoil won't officially run the required tests it becomes a "trust us" kind of thing. I don't believe we want to go there. Now, I want to make sure I am understood. Do I think Amsoil products could meet the standards were they to run the tests...yes (except in the areas of having more additive Z then allowed or something like that)...but I believe it is still important to do it officially and with documentation. Otherwise you have people making all sorts of claims, some legit, some not.

[ September 06, 2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Just put 4.5 quarts of the 0W-30 German Castrol into my 94 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 96K)! Let's just say I'm never going back to Mobil 1!!!

My 2.2L VTECH 4-cyl runs silky smooth with the German. Valve noise at startup is GREATLY reduced. My engine was too nosiy with the Mobil 1 5W-30. I just think Mobil 1 5W-30 is too thin at 100 C.

You can't beat a 12.1 vis at 100 C!!! $4.99 a quart for an oil composed mainly of esters. That is a bargain folks!!! A pour point of -81F?????? What??????????

Let's just hope they keep importing this stuff from Germany. I'm going to clean out my local AutoZone.

Look for UOA on the German sometime in late November after about 5K.

You people back east are lucky. Here in the "Republik of Kalifornia" 10 Autozone stores only revealed 6 quarts of the green stuff. My BMW requires 6.5!! I'm gonna probably end up driving 100 miles to find my final quart! BTW a search of 4 wally worlds shows that they don't carry 0w-30 wt at all.

[ September 05, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: magbarn ]

quote:

Guys, just curious, why don't some of you who are looking for a heavier 30wt oil run Amsoil 5w/10w-30? It seems the big issue with the GC is it's a 12.1 or heavy 30wt.

I like Amsoil, I believe it's a great oil, but up here the GC 0w30 is $6.66 at Walmart, $6.29 on sale at Canadian Tire, while Amsoil is $9 to $10, and harder to get.

There is more to GC than just it's viscosity though, it's showing very low wear numbers and very good TBN retention.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

Is there a list someplace that shows the breakdown between the levels of Visc, because If I'm not right, I've been doing it wrong (i.e. adjusting the weight by hand).

20wt oil is 5.6cst to 9.3 cst (at 100c)
30wt oil is 9.3 to 12.5
40wt oil is 12.5 to 16.3
50wt oil is 16.3-21.9
60wt oil is 21.9-26.1

Gentlemen Lucky Enough To Own Some GC,

I've tried a couple of AutoZones and Kragens without success but my hunt will continue this afternoon.

Could I impose on one of our finer members to post the Bar Code numbers for the GC and likewise confirm that they are different than the USC.

Most of the time AutoZone people have given me a blank stare of bewilderment and confusion just like Oprah when she's told that there are no more doughnuts.
grin.gif

Maybe AutoZone can search by Bar Code numbers...

quote:

Originally posted by F1Crazy:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
I have looked for the german castrol as well. but here in Memphis. the temps are in the high 90's in the summer and in the winter high 20's in january. might not see it until the winter if at all. I think alot of people are still scared of the 0w-30 weight even if it is a synthetic for some reason. some stores might think it might collect dust on their shelves.
lol.gif

I've seen it at AutoZone on Germantown Pkwy this week, better hurry before I go on a shopping spree!
grin.gif

I guess I should have known it to be there. It is GERMANtown by the way so it makes sense that they get the GERMAN syntec
grin.gif
the germantown people live the good life and get the good oils I'm jealous.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
In So Cal bar code 7919100068 on German and red label USA Castrol 0w-30.

Same in South Carolina.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Ayone know if this German castrol is available in Oz?

Yeah, but in Europe and down under it's called Castrol Formula SLX 0w30. Others from Oz have said that availability on the SLX is limited now because Castrol is pushing the newer Formula R 0w40.

I don't know who works for Castrol among us, but whoever created this excitment has definetely gotten inside my head.
smile.gif

I will buy some of this stuff tomorrow at my local AutoZone....they always seem to have about 10 qrts.
Rick
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back