Belgian Syntec 5w-40, contains esters or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a red-hot emergency, but I am looking for a winter oil that does not contain esters. I have a computer issue with PDFs and cannot open CAS# info and am basicly not an expert in them anyway. Can someone look for me? The reason being that my ARX treatments are running late into the season and I can't get away from ester-less oils until the seals are cleaned. Other choices include Rotella Synth 5w-40 and if I cheap out, Motorcraft 5w-30.

I agree with Mola. There is no inherent incompatibility with the various esters, but because of their (somewhat polar) nature the esters in AutoRx can't get as close to the metal surfaces, because the esters in some synthetic oil are already at the surfaces (this is a good thing).....so if you read the AutoRx stuff they recommend dino oil for the fastest clean-up.

So???
quote:

Topic: Belgian Syntec 5w-40, contains esters or not?

ARX directions indicate use of ester oil is ok for cleaning, but instructions for seal conditioning say not to use the ester oils.

quote:

To answer your question. All Castrol Syntec products contain some esters.

Johnny, could you be more specific? Just kidding. That fact is interesting to know, thanks. I am not staying off esters forever, just as long as ARX says to do so. I will re-open my bunker full of GC for this winter.
grin.gif

Probably and most likely. It's a synthetic, therefore it will have some group IV in it.

I just finished a run with it. Went back to Syntec 5-50. As far as I can tell, it's the same stuff as the US Syntec syntec line, with formulation changes to get the specific grade requirements.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

As far as I can tell, it's the same stuff as the US Syntec syntec line, with formulation changes to get the specific grade requirements.

Nope , different animal but closer to the 5w-50 than the others excepting the additives

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Audi Junkie: To answer your question. All Castrol Syntec products contain some esters.

Would you happen to know about how much ester is in the new Start Up? Or maybe a better question, how much % ester is ideal for a blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back