Belgian-made Castrol Syntec (BC) 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this forum has been modified to include all european oils, I figured I'd add this one:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000183#000000

A topic of many previous discussions, this oil is either loved or hated here @ BiTOG. Possibly the "red-headed step child" of the european Castrol line-up. Call it what you will, it is the oil that VWoA/AoA are counting on to minimize all future oil related problems in N. America.

Feel free to discuss:
smile.gif

Bh,

I think any of the Euro Castrols will work well especially in regard to the application they were brewed for. While I don't think BC is in the same league as GC, I think those with VWs/Audis which call for it will like it just fine...I do think Elf Excellium DID is better.

Don't get me wrong, pscholte. I am a BC proponent and I'm already into my 2nd OCI with it in my Volvo. But you have to admit, Castrol certainly has a unique add.pack in that oil. What's up with all of the magnesium? What useful purpose does it serve? I'm sure there are valid answers to those questions and I really want to know what they are.

Also, pscholte...do you really have some Zimbabian oil?
tongue.gif
(see above posted link)

Magnesium is cheap, that is the reason. Calcium is much more expensive additive. Castrol has one exceptional oil, thats it. Nothing else special about their oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
Don't get me wrong, pscholte. I am a BC proponent and I'm already into my 2nd OCI with it in my Volvo. But you have to admit, Castrol certainly has a unique add.pack in that oil. What's up with all of the magnesium? What useful purpose does it serve? I'm sure there are valid answers to those questions and I really want to know what they are.

Also, pscholte...do you really have some Zimbabian oil?
tongue.gif
(see above posted link)

Hate to disappoint you...that was a completely tongue-in-cheek comment.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Castrol has one exceptional oil, thats it. Nothing else special about their oils.

Such skepticism from one so young...sigh
wink.gif
Happy 4th Mr buster pants!
grin.gif

Brikhead. I'm also using BC 5w40 in my
BMW. It meets the specs of my car and I
like thicker oils. 0w30 is still a winter
oil to me. If it's made to reduce sludge
in VW's TDI sludge prone engines, just
think how clean it will keep mine.
grin.gif

PS. Today (1st) is Canada Day, so HAPPY
CANADA DAY
canada.gif
to all my fellow
Canucks and HAPPY 4th of JULY
patriot.gif

to all our friends in US of A.
cheers.gif

Look, is the BC 0-40 stuff the real deal SYN PAO ester crap, or is it like the US hydrocracked stuff?

If the GC 0-30 is "Thick for a 30", how much "more thick for a 40" is the 0-40 BC?

Islandvic. The 5w40 Syntec is imported
from Belgium and would be the same as the
Castrol Softec TXT sold in Europe and other
parts of the world. This oil is advertised
as a synthetic. It carries the VW 502 00
505 00 ; MB 229.1/229.3 and BMW LL-98 specs.
There is no mention of GRP 3 base oil in the
European web sites.
The GC 0w30 is rated at around 12/12.1 cst
@ 100 deg.C where the BC is at 14 cst.

quote:

Happy 4th Mr buster pants!

LOL. Happy 4th to you too!

Hey, if one takes a look at most Syntec (Non-GC) UOA's you'll find the wear metals to be decent, but the oil can't handle long drains. And when you consider that Castrol Syntec is a group III @ $5qt, it's a rip off. The truth hurts my fellow Elf lovers.
tongue.gif

Syntec is most likley a PAO base with a PAQ/ESTER polymer as a VII as well as functioning as a FM to meet EC-II fuel economy standards.
Altho Group III as we now know can be called and sold a a Synthetic.
bruce

What we really need are some UOA's before we start jumping to conclusions.

IIRC there's only been two virgin analysis, and both were wildly different from each other, so we really have no idea what we've got.

I just put six quarts into an '01 2.8L VW VR6. Probably going to run it for 5k and then do an UOA. More should do the same as this should give us a good idea whether this oil's high price tag is justified.

i do know this: the smell has definetely changed fromt he M04 and M05 bathces! Prolly has only to do w/ the additives but, its definetely fishy! IT (BC) used to smell like the new GC gold. Now it smells very petroleum like and acrid. Just MHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back