Belgian Castrol 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a crunch, I was unable to get the usual Rotella T Synthetic. I located Castrol Syntec(made in Belgium) 5w-40. Reading the label, it appears to be made almost specifically for TDIs. It meets the manufacturer's requirements as well(which concern me more than the API stats). Is this likely the same oil available at the dealer? I should be ok for 10,000 miles as well right? I'm a bit excited, I'm using my newly acquired Pela oil extractor to do a topside oil change.

--Matt

It is the same oil that is available at the dealers. This oil should prevent sludge from forming in you engine.

Very good. I did actually have a sludge problem when I purchased the car at 40k miles. An auto-rx treatment, synthetic oil, and 27k miles later it's sludge free and seemingly running great. I sent a sample of the Rotella T 5w40 that was previously in for 10,200 miles for analysis. I am interested in seeing how the engine is wearing!

On a side note, the topside extraction of the oil netted me more oil removed than I have ever gotten with draining through the drain plug. In addition to that, there's the added benefit of not having to remove the belly pan or get under the car at all!

--Matt

I assume this is a GRPIII oil, correct? I'm not really all that concerned with GRPIII v.s. GRPIV since it's a diesel and neither seems to really do any better than the other(considering analysis).

--Matt

Let's just say it is a group III suspect.
smile.gif

I'm using this oil in my BMW. I changed
the oil last November before I put the
car in storage. Like I said before in
other posts, this oil is the same as the
Castrol TXT Softec sold in Europe and
other areas around the world. It is called
a synthetic in Belgium, France and South
Africa. I firmly believe that it may be
a grp III with grp V esters mixed in. It
has a sweet smell to it. I bought it
because I't was on sale and it meets the
specs. for my BMW.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
I'm using this oil in my BMW. I changed
the oil last November before I put the
car in storage. Like I said before in
other posts, this oil is the same as the
Castrol TXT Softec sold in Europe and
other areas around the world. It is called
a synthetic in Belgium, France and South
Africa. I firmly believe that it may be
a grp III with grp V esters mixed in. It
has a sweet smell to it. I bought it
because I't was on sale and it meets the
specs. for my BMW.
grin.gif

Belgium and France are members of the EU. If it was group III wouldn't the EU regulations require that "hydrocracked" be printed somewhere on the label? I'm just asking. Perhaps a member in an EU country can respond.

Matt,

Meeting the ACEA B4 specifications - which includes the VW TDI engine test for piston deposits and ring sticking - normally requires at least 20% PAO in the basestock blend....The rest of this formulation is most likely 65% Group III and 15% ester, if I had to make an educated guess....

TS

Very good. I'm running LC with it as well. It should be good for 10k miles. I also just realized that my previous OCI was an auto-rx rinse cycle(for 10k miles!). EEK! I hope everything is OK.

--Matt

got my analysis results back:

aluminum: 6
cromium: 4
iron: 45
copper: 6
lead: 2
tin: 0
moly: 0
nickel: 1
magnese: 0
silver: 0
titanium: 0
potassium: 0
boron: 6
silicon: 4
sodium: 3
calcium: 2545
magnesium: 63
phosphorous: 980
zinc: 1088
barium: 0

sus@210: 78.5
flashpoint: 420
fuel: antifreeze: 0.00
water: 0.0
insolubles: 0.6

Looks good, especially considering it was a 10k ARX rinse!

--Matt

One thing I noticed while comparing Castrol Syntec 5w40 and the famous Syntec 0w-30 (GC)labels at my local AZ was that the 5w40 BC meets the BMW LL-98 spec, and the Ow-30 GC meets the BMW LL-01 spec. What is the significance there?

BMWTechGuy,

The newer European OEM specs call for higher fuel efficiency. So you tend to see mostly 0w-30's and 5w-30's being used, along with some PAO/Ester based 5w-40's like the new Amsoil "AFL" product....

TS

BMWTechguy. The BMW LL-98 spec (1998) is
a heavier weight synthetic spec. ie. 5w40.
The BMW LL-01 (2001) spec. calls for a
lower viscosity long drain oil. I can use
heivier weight oils in my 2000 328i engine
so I've got the Syntec 5w40 Belgium oil in
it now.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back