Behold a Pale Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend roundup, nephew's 21st and a 900km round trip over 24 hours to do daughter's netball, drive, party, sleep, drive, and get back in time for daughter's dance recital practice.

Great on the highway, and wants to sit at 120km/h, not the mandated 100 or 110 depending on place...the pundits claim that the Colorado is harsher in engine noise than it's peers, and this is where it is actually quite noticeable. 1650ish RPM at cruise, the first response to lightly increased throttle is a grumble from the engine...wouldn't say a harsh grumble, just a grumble. Soon as it realises that you are calling to Scotty in the engine room, it unlocks and drops a gear no probs. 25MPG US all my daily commute and the trip out.

Trip back, decided to that the more direct route, through some windy, hilly roads...it's shorter, doesn't save you time or fuel in any of my previous vehicles.

The 6 speed auto programming is glorious...changes down a few gears when you start rolling away down hills...apply the brakes, and it changes down also to assist.

On the uphill parts, it held an always appropriate gear and revved out like a gasser (note...I've just stepped out of my 1993 3.0 TDi...and I've not driven the 7,000RPM v-6s that I see in the Colorado vids from the US)...the auto and turbo mean that I don't lose boost on the upshifts (my wife drove a turbodiesel auto captiva the other day and made the un prompted comment that "it didn't need to wind up after changing gears).

Looks like the trip home was 23MPG (US of course), which means that the hilly windy stuff is not as impacting on this ute as my previous vehicles.

Couple of funny things with the Colorado.

Coolant temperature is always low (it's controlled), but is 76/77C (
There's one hairpin that is a steep LHS (remember we drive on the LHS) low gear affair which usually has rain spread sand and road debris on the inside, that the Nissan with it's solid clutch pack LSD would start to spin scrabble the inside rear, then snap the rear out as the boost built...the helical LSD did start a scrabbbling feel, but no step out at all.

Haveing a great first few months of ownership.

Kids way more happy in the back of this one than the old blue Nissan.

(and I think wife wants to take the money that we gor for the Nissan, and buy HER first car, a 2008 Captiva diesel to replace the 1997 Caprice)

oh, and the OLM dropped 2%.

service interval 9 months or 15,000km. Ute had 4,600km on it when I got it, and 38% oil life remaining. Had 130 hours run time, and 30 hours of idling.

Now down to 25% with another 2,600km on it...less than an hour idling in that.

And no DPF regen alerts while I've owned it...the lot manual one that I drove had the red alarm and "keep driving' alarm up with only a few hundred km on the clock, moving it around the lot.

Nice!

But my truck is bigger.

28.gif

Then again, yours can pass a fuel station...
11.gif

I see the cap/shell/cover/topper/whatever it is you call it down there has side windows. How do you like those? Looks like it'd beat the pole with a hook on it that I use (not that I could reach up into the window on my truck).

Down here they are called a canopy.

The opening side windows are great...my last one had sliding windows and flyscreen which would probably be better when the cat is decesaed and I can get another dog.

Happy wife, happy life, she chose this to complement it...
20170606_074233.jpg

And we've still got (lots of) change out of the sale of the Nissan to sat nav it and mess about a bit ... 16MPG(US) highway for the Caprice has lost it's glamour now she's working out of town every day.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Daewoo - I hope it's not the V6.

If I couldn't afford to feed the Stato, there's no way I'd go V-6 on that...nope, diesel 5 speed

Originally Posted By: Shannow
...nope, diesel 5 speed

Sweet, you won't be doing cam chains on that stupid GM V6.

I'm sensing you're a Holden man, Shannow! At least your neighbours have the right idea...I see a Focus, Territory and Falcon wagon in the background
smile.gif
Hope the Captiva serves Mrs Shannow well mate.

Ive had 1 Ford in my history...not my best purchase (XF SPack 4 speed), but yes 14 Holdens, 2 Toyotas, the Nissan (my longest serving vehicle), and an E30 BMW 323i.

A Holden man through and through then! Got me thinking, so I did a quick review of my own car history - 7 Ford, 3 Mitsubishi, 2 Holden, 2 Nissan, 2 Daihatsu, 1 Mazda and 1 Chrysler... Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread
smile.gif

I've had 1 Holden and maybe 6 Fords, although a couple were really Mazdas. I did like my HG though....

7 of the 14 were Toranas, including an XU-1...only 4 of the Holdens (Camira and Caprice, and the two diesels in the photo) were Fuel Injection era.

Couple weeks in, and the Captiva has halved my wife's fuel bill over the Caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back