Behold a Pale Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Having said that, I simply don't like the direction that the styling has gone with today's trucks and SUVs.
27.gif
It looks too busy too me. I prefer the simple lines and boxy look of years gone by, as shown in the picture below. Call me an old duff. I am what I am. Gotta get offline now and place a call on my flip phone.
grin.gif

Lines change with time... As the owner of a small (S-10) truck with a 6' bed, Ive been a little frustrated when hauling 8' goods due to the width of the wheelwells and of course, the length of the bed. Ultra-short truck beds may amplify this problem, but only if carrying bigger stuff. At the same time, carting around an 8' bed unloaded is also a waste.

Bed size is a matter of convenience. I've got a 5' bed, the trade off for very roomy back seats.

My intended use includes both transporting people and bulk cargo. But 8' sheet goods fit easily, between the wheel wells and flat, when the tailgate is folded down, so I don't think I've lost utility. The back seat is a nice place to be.

Best of both worlds.

Styling, on the other hand, is a matter of taste...and to each his own,,,

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Bed size is a matter of convenience. I've got a 5' bed, the trade off for very roomy back seats.

My intended use includes both transporting people and bulk cargo. But 8' sheet goods fit easily, between the wheel wells and flat, when the tailgate is folded down, so I don't think I've lost utility. The back seat is a nice place to be.

Best of both worlds.

Styling, on the other hand, is a matter of taste...and to each his own,,,

And that's the difference between a 1998 small truck and a 2016 "small" truck. Obviously your Tacoma is wide enough to do this. Older and true small trucks must have the sheet goods sit up on the wheel wells in the bed.

Glad that has been resolved!!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I'll see if I can comment without insulting. Its a gorgeous truck.

The thing with insults is that it takes intent on your part and reaction on mine.

In the absence of either, it's not an insult...your comments are your views, and that's heaps cool here...

Bought the old blue one in 2003, when it's lines were current...they sold them into 2015.

P4212495.jpg

While I still like the looks, I've moved on...they made the same shape and colours for 14 years.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

My intended use includes both transporting people and bulk cargo.

Same here, the model that fits my family the best is the 4 door ute, with the shell to provide space for dogs, and luggage, and taking stuff to the dump, or picking stuff up.

With rego and insurance running at around $1,600 a year, we can't have a regular ute on top of a wagon.

And the wagons
Colorado Trailblazer Wagon

clearly don't have as much junk/dog room as the ute.

(oh, and they are D-Max only too)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Cool truck! Does your truck have the same emissions equipment as the US version?

DPF, but nowhere to add urea.

The truck looks great.

Any opinions on the other brand trucks you mentioned, and how they compare to the Colorado? I've long been jealous of the Diesel powered vehicles you can get, which aren't even offered in the States.

That's interesting that the OEM's offer real 'Roo bars there. Here, the OEM's offer flimsy brush guards at best. But there are several companies that make aftermarket Bars. Some are very well made with provisions for proximity sensors, airbag compatible, etc. Considering some of the large ungulates wandering free in the States where I live and travel most, I'm seriously considering one of these Bar for my new Ram 3500.

Here's a comparo of the base models...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/522194/ute-c...kswagen-amarok/

I wanted a Z71, top end first up, but the dealer pointed out that a lot of the aesthetic stuff paid for gets ripped off to install the canopy...would have liked dead cow interior, but with the
As the the Comparo, that's Wallerawang Power Station in one of the pics (RIP, I was turbine engineer there for a decade, built the coal handling plant in the mid/late 90s)...the roads are all local by the looks of it.

I haven't got close enough to a Colorado for a good look, but they are around. With 500Nm of torque I thought they would be storming up the sales chart, but the Ranger is still top dog here, not just the top selling ute, but top selling anything, and it's ugly BT50 clone is down the bottom. I had a 2016 Hi Lux in the other day, and for Toyota's so called new model, it's just a Hi Lux, no wonder sales are slipping. The new Triton really was all new, and sales are getting better all the time, now 4th behind the Ranger, Hi Lux and Colorado.

Your ute (not truck!) definitely looks better with the canopy fitted mate. Is it linked in to the factory central locking?

Fuel economy sounds about right. The Ranger I drive at work is averaging 10l/100km over the last 75,000km. That's a 3.2 auto, with steel ARB bullbar, Warn winch, canopy, roof bars, heavy duty tow bar, all terrain tyres, and around 500kg of gear in the tray...these modern diesels are a pretty good thing.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Over here in the States they're just called a Pickup Truck.

I watched the video of the Ute comparison. The Hilux seemed sparsely equipped compared to the others.

Do you get any of the so-called full-size American pickup trucks in Australia?

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Ford HAD the f250 for a while, not sure if they still do.

There's Rams and Chevs, and GMCs and Fords come through town, but I think that they are imports, and RHD converts...and pricey.

$140k for a ram with 60 miles on the clock.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Ford HAD the f250 for a while, not sure if they still do.

There's Rams and Chevs, and GMCs and Fords come through town, but I think that they are imports, and RHD converts...and pricey.

$140k for a ram with 60 miles on the clock.

Ouch. I guess I won't complain too much about their cost here.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Over here in the States they're just called a Pickup Truck.

No offence taken, I was just stirring
smile.gif

I hate the gradual erosion of our Aussie language - even the manufacturers are trying to get us to call them "trucks" now. They're not trucks. They're utes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back