nastymud006.jpg

after
nastymud010.jpg

thermostat housing
before
nastymud007.jpg

after
nastymud016.jpg

So far Ive done zerex 6 hour flush, Peak 6 hour flush, Prestone 15 minute flush, and 10 water flushes. Should I keep going with the water and chemical flushes? Take it to a shop and see if they can clean it up? Should buy new hoses maybe?

Outside of a cleaner cooling system, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but one jackleg/jerry rig/backwoods method I've heard of is pouring "Purple Stuff" into the cooling system and flushing it out with that.

Well every drain I do the water comes out dirty still. It looks way better now then the first few flushes. Also this system was clogged to the point the car would over heat. You should have seen the stuff I was scooping out of the old radiator that was in there. I have a bigger all aluminum radiator in there now, so I just want this thing clean before I pour the anti freeze mix in there and move on with my life. Im afraid the new coolant will be contaminated and I will be doing this all over again.

An oxalic acid solution will easily take that out if it's corrosion/sludge related deposits. Some of the flush kits you have used may be Oxalic based, but most arent so it should help you quite a bit.

I would also add a coolant filter for the remainder of the vehicles life because getting it all out and keeping it out will be pretty tough. Use a larger oil filter sized one, some of the tiny solutions I've seen on here don't cut it.

The difference is pretty noticeable, good work!

I'd agree with the coolant filter suggestions, and add more frequent changes in the future.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I'm curious as to where one would get such a coolant filter?

I'm using a 3/4-16 filter mount, since its the same as the oil filter thread on my car, and for the 1st year I had a P1 oil filter on it (specifically chosen with a non-restrictive ADBV). Since then I've switched to a Wix/NG oil filter with no ADBV, just to promote flow for what is probably a very small delta P across the filter.

The P1 seemed to be working fine, very mild deformation and caught loads of debris over the year it was on. The ADBV-less filter was just something I thought about after the initial install.

Personally, if I had a significant and undeniable issue like I see here I would probably try the dishwasher detergent method mentioned here (and other places) many times before. I've never used it personally as my cooling system is clean, but I've heard it is very effective.

Make sure you use dishwasher detergent (i.e. the stuff you put in a machine that doesn't suds up) and not dishwashing detergent that you use by hand.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Is the detergent or CLR save for aluminum? How long would I run it through?
Most likely NOT.....a lot of those "All Purpose Cleaners" contain 2-butoxyethanol which is not good for aluminum...but for a short flush, I can't see it hurting anything.

Tried vinegar? Most "distilled vinegar" is really only 5% acidic, the remainder being probably simply h20....so it don't see that big of a problem. It'll brake up calcium and lime anyways :p Not sure about rust......honestly, if it's cool enough where you're at, I'd say run the Prestone "Super Flush" through the cooling system with plain water, for a couple days.....then drain, rinse, re-examine, and then refill. Probably wouldn't hurt to change out your cooling hoses/lines though....good preventative maintenance anyways.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Well every drain I do the water comes out dirty still.
Have you pulled out the block drain plugs or just draining it at the radiator?

If your not pulling the block drain you wont ever get it clean. Once rust or whatever gets in the engine it can't get out because it's sitting in the lowest part of the engine.

What vehicle is it? You might consider using Ford VC-9 iron neutralizer. It's supposedly powerful stuff for cleaning out sludge and rust.

On the 4.6 the drive side block drain is accesable, however the passenger side is inside the engine mount. Makes it impossible to drain half the block without lifting the motor and removing the mount...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back