before and after (hood pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://tinypic.com/r/2rc52qf/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2cqefzn/
aelbig.jpg

pic is blurry and one of the 2 links doesn't work.. what are we supposed to be seeing?

That should work better and the picture of the whole hood is to just show the whole thing with fresh clear coat.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
That should work better and the picture of the whole hood is to just show the whole thing with fresh clear coat.

And what does that tell us? Nothing.

From your pictures, we cannot tell if the metallic flake matches, if the texture matches and the quality of the final polishing that was done.

As I said in your other thread, even if all of those items check out, the durability of the aftermarket paint will be significantly less than the OEM finish, so it is likely that you'll see significant deterioration after several years.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

And what does that tell us? Nothing.

From your pictures, we cannot tell if the metallic flake matches, if the texture matches and the quality of the final polishing that was done.

As I said in your other thread, even if all of those items check out, the durability of the aftermarket paint will be significantly less than the OEM finish, so it is likely that you'll see significant deterioration after several years.

Did you not see the before picture? ? The oem quality was just so good wasn't it?

Did you not see the before picture? ? The oem quality was just so good wasn't it?

I don't think you're following. We do not know if the rest of the hood would have suffered from the same defeat. But what we do know for sure - is that the newly repainted hood will not have the same lifespan of any OEM finish.

I don't think you're following. We do not know if the rest of the hood would have suffered from the same defeat. But what we do know for sure - is that the newly repainted hood will not have the same lifespan of any OEM finish.

We know this ? As in you can prove it? Your logic is flawed.

I think there's a chance they didn't redo the entire hood despite what they told OP. Since it was a small defect maybe they decided to put one over on him. In that case good news you kept your OEM finish! I agree with Critic is won't look the same. Overkill had 28 hours in his M5 fender repair to approach oem quality and I doubt Ford spent lots of time on this repair.

Last edited:

There have been plenty of discussions about this in the Detail/Wax forum, and on many detailing forums online.

From my detailing experience so far, I've yet to see a repainted panel (one that sees heavy UV exposure) age similarly to OEM paint.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

I think there's a chance they didn't redo the entire hood despite what they told OP. Since it was a small defect maybe they decided to put one over on him. In that case good news you kept your OEM finish! I agree with Critic is won't look the same. Overkill had 28 hours in his M5 fender repair to approach oem quality and I doubt Ford spent lots of time on this repair.

They redid the clear coat on the whole hood.

There have been plenty of discussions about this in the Detail/Wax forum, and on many detailing forums online.

From my detailing experience so far, I've yet to see a repainted panel (one that sees heavy UV exposure) age similarly to OEM paint.

+

You're never going to get the "factory baked" clear on there again...nothing is going to be as good as OEM...

^The beauty of this whole thing is, it isn't your car. You don't have anything to worry about if the paint starts flying off in 2 foot sections. It's his car. If he wanted his hood repainted to get rid of some imperfections on it from the factory, that's his choice. He will have to deal with it down the road.

To ram_man -
thumbsup2.gif
it looks good.

The paint has a warranty as well. The body shop warranties it for 7 yrs. So if it has an issue it'll be fixed. This IDEA that living with an obvious paint flaw on a brand new car kind of shocks me. Why not have it fixed unless the body shop does poor work it should be fine.

The paint has a warranty as well. The body shop warranties it for 7 yrs. So if it has an issue it'll be fixed. This IDEA that living with an obvious paint flaw on a brand new car kind of shocks me. Why not have it fixed unless the body shop does poor work it should be fine.

+1. Even if the OEM is paint is fantastic, in worst case conditions, it won't last 10 years without some signs of clearcoat failure. And you can have a repair / repaint done before that time on your aftermarket paint job if you want. Sounds like a win/win to me if the quality of the paint job is good, and it looks pretty good from the pics. Over a 10 year period, with the warranty, I think you will have a better looking paint job vs. OEM, so I'm not sure why people are talking about the superiority of OEM paint, especially considering your case where the OEM paint had major flaws to begin with.

There are bunch of paint shops in our area which don't last 10 years! And these shops are usually very reputable and highly recommended too. But after few years the shop folds.

I agree with Critic. Collision repaired paint job is vastly inferior to OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
There are bunch of paint shops in our area which don't last 10 years! And these shops are usually very reputable and highly recommended too. But after few years the shop folds.

I agree with Critic. Collision repaired paint job is vastly inferior to OEM.

This shop has been around since 1977. They have won several awards over the years. I doubt they are going anywhere soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back