BEEZER fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
any BSA fans out there ?

i'm currently restoring a '69 rocket 111

and since 1972 i've owned

a C 11, an M 20, 3 A 10's, a HUNTMASTER, a '69, a '70 and a '71 LIGHTNING and an X75 HURRICANE

all runners ( eventually ) and all left holes in my pocket

but i just won't learn ...

I had BSA singles for many years,manly B31's,but there were B33's as well.Goldstar cams and pistons,big carbs and megaphones...all good fun for a young fella.I had one bedroom in the house just for my BSA parts.I also had a BSA road racing sidecar,A10 frame,but I fitted a '72 Thunderbolt engine in and rode it on the street.No BSA's in the fleet anymore....not that I don't want one....

Here is my old BSA - started life as a 1954 A10,I used a succession of B31 engines,and finally ended up with this M20 in it.

scan0002in1.jpg

This is a very poor shot of the BSA outfit,my 99 Domi in the background.

scan0009pc.jpg

I had a 65 Lightning, 68 Firebird Scrambler, 69 Lightning, and a 70 Thunderbolt.
In my garage now I have a 72 Bonneville, 77 XLCR, 2008 Bullet and my favorite, a 2006 Patrol.

I had a '74 Trident from '77 to '81. 20,000+ miles worth. a great bike, with a sound like no other, with the Dunstall exhaust. I bought my Speed Triple in '01, and am in love with the 3 cylinder motor all over again! Good luck getting your Rocket back to running shape.

Bonnie John, I apoligize to you, for this post, being it's not about BSA's.

It is, instead, about an earlier thread you'de started, which was locked down almost as soon as it started. After what has gone down in this forum in the past, I can't understand why it was so swiftly shut down?

My opinion is similair to yours regarding the HD stuff. Most motorcyclist can talk about any brand of motorcycle and stil be respectful of the choices of other brands. This forum has two, maybe three, bad eggs, which the moderators have overlooked for way too long. IMO, it was obvious, and yet they did nothing.

I figured this forum,and the mods,were f the idealogy of "Let things sort itelf out" and deciced to not get involed.

Not an approach I respect alot, but it's not my forum......

My opinion is the only time they did get involved was after the fact. Like a fire departement showing up and only saving the foundation.

It was also my opinion that those 2-3 problem members didn't listen to any amount of reasoning, and instead made the situation worse.

In that type of atmosphere the only way to rid a forum of those types of inconsiderate, insulting, and trouble causing members is to pull up the sleeves and get down to their level.

So now the mods have rode into town, huh?

Hey, mods, glad you could finally make it!!

I originally came to this forum seeking info on oil for an older Harley. My impression so far isn't overwhelming.

Mods, feel free to ban me I don't have alot of respect for what you've let happen in this motorcycle forum, so no lose to either of us.

Jeff D.

Cool bikes with interesting backgrounds. Love those old pics of any bike.

So Jeff did you get your oil questions answered? That is what this forum is for but over the last few weeks it's been hard to recognize that. How old are these machines you are talking about?

Yeah,about the other thread...we were talking tyres.

I've got Dunlop K70's front and rear,4.00x18 on my R65....for gravel roads.

I've used nothing but Dunlops on my last four bikes. I'd like to try something else but can't find much of a reason to abandon the Dunlops. I would like a bit less "swimming" on roads with tarred cracks. Metzlers are supposed to be better in that regard.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
So Jeff did you get your oil questions answered? That is what this forum is for but over the last few weeks it's been hard to recognize that.
I did get good info and most that posted in the thread tried to be helpful.

-But-, it was also my first exposure to a certain special someone, too. Like this quote from my oil thread:
Quote:
Nothing more humourous than HD riders talking oil. I get this mental picture of HD owners in white lab coats with a stethoscope perpetually hanging around their neck and an oil intravenous going into their engine. Like a doctor with a patient about to expire. More time spent worrying than riding....
Laughed it off at first, but I've read way too many similiar posts, and much worse, since I joined.

That's why I blame the forum's keepers. Pot stirrers will show up in any and every forum, trying to make trouble. They'll cry "Free Speech" if anyone questions them. I feel forums don't have free speech as the primary thing they're "about". They are about whatever the owner wants to let them be about. We are guests in their forum.

Would we tolerate a guest in our home if they were behaiving like a select few members do here in the motorcycle oil section? I wouldn't.

But, this is BITOG's house, and if they're not going to ask offensive guest's to leave, then I have the option of leaving. I will tell them why, though, like I'm doing now. And I will do it in the open forum, hoping it'll put pressure on them to make adjustments and make it better for the remaining guests.

Jeff

hi j.d.

thought i'd better say howdy before lockdown

i'm WAY too analytical about oil, but that's on my bikes, car and lawnmower

the mower's not so bad, coz it only has 1 fill hole, but the bike and car can give me the heebie-jeebies at service time. and don't get me thinking about syn/min

i think all brands of oil should use a different coloured bottle to package their oils. that way you could get a brand which matched your tank colour, and not worry about the specs of the oil

but then the really anal amongst us would have another reason to agonize over the colour of our new scoot

p.s. just spent a couple of days in "access denied" land. it's all ok now jeff, coz they upped my somac ...

hi silk

great shots, the 1st bike shows the interchangabiliy that us kiwi riders were renowned for, moreoften out of necessity rather than american customising

and the outfit - i see a10, a65, a75 ( tank, i think ? ) and a leading link front end ?

p.s. i believe hd's have (at least until the evos) quite a bit of interchangable parts. the last number of a genuine hd p/n is the 1st year it was introduced. so say a gearbox sprocket for a 1979 big twin is part no. 35203-36, it was 1st used in 1936 models AND IS STILL IN USE on bikes made 40 odd years later !!!

just sayin ...

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
hi j.d.

thought i'd better say howdy before lockdown
Hey, back at ya!!

Hopefully it won't be locked down. I'm done talking, now, about what I was in my last two posts here, anyways. Hopefully they'll understand how I feel.

They can remove those two posts, if ness., and let you continue on with your thread.

Again, sorry for the hi-jack, just wanted to vent some.

Take Care,

Jeff

Originally Posted By: bonnie john

great shots, the 1st bike shows the interchangabiliy that us kiwi riders were renowned for, moreoften out of necessity rather than american customising

and the outfit - i see a10, a65, a75 ( tank, i think ? ) and a leading link front end ?

Yes,we couldn't get all the flash overseas stuff,so just had to do it on our own,with what was at hand.The outfit was an A10 frame,crudely bashed to fit a single....which was what I was going to do,but fitting an A65 was easier.That is a breadbox Trident tank,the rear wheel from an H2 Kawasaki,the front end leading link with 2 BSA 8in brakes back to back.I didn't build it,it was an obsolete racer,so I made something out of it.It is still racing today,same engine but now 800cc with a roller timing bearing....converted to knealer.

The single was an A10 frame as well....I chopped the oil pump kink out of a bent B31 frame and welded it in.Here are another couple of photos of it - the day it was built,with the B31 and alloy guards,dual seat and Yamaha rear wheel.And 10 years later the day I pulled it apart and sold the parts....now with 19in rear,21in front,steel rear guard and solo scrambler seat.I had a lot of fun playing around with my BSA's.

The interchangeability of parts is why I have a 1987 Airhead now....any airhead parts will fit,and all parts for all bikes are fully supported by BMW,no matter what year.

scan0015q.jpg

scan0011a.jpg

Up load your photos onto a hosting site,then link to them here.I use Imageshack,but am not that happy with it...there are others.

We didn't go over the shore much in the '70's....that was overseas.I was a Panmure Boy in the early '70's,then became a Westy in the late '70's.A lot of Westies came from East/south Auckland.

Hi,
silk - A Dunedin "boy" here. My family raced bikes in the 1950s. Nortons, Triumphs, AJS & Matchless. My first 4 stroke - after my first Super Bantam - was an ES2 Norton 500. I could hardly kickstart the d... thing!

My brother's best friend was killed on a brand new Gold Star Beezer in a road race around rural Palmerston in the early 1950s

My last Beezer was a 1950 Bantam 125 I purchased (along with an early Suzuki) in Caloundra about 1990 - I restored it and sold it!

hi doug and silk

born dunedin 1956, lived in abbotsford for 3 years. my grandad was very involved in DONAGHY'S ROPES, too bad my old man wanted to be a farmer

kelston till about '60 or 61

albany/dairy flat till '74

epsom, then mairangi bay, castor bay and 9 years ago emmigrated to buderim on the sunshine coast

1st bike was a 150cc PUCH scooter, then a PUCH 250 TWINGLE.

then it was all downhill when i bought my BSA C11 in about 1973 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back