Bees finding a home on cars

When the subject of intercoolers came up, I stumbled across photos of bees that swarmed on a Subaru hood scoop and intercooler. But then I was curious if any had found radiators or other things that might be a desirable place. I thought maybe radiators because the nooks might make an appealing place to build. I guess radiators have the problem that they get way too hot, when intercoolers don't have that problem. But here's what I found.

0_PAY-SN_BEE_ROAD_13.jpg

cebabcbd88f4db04984621558f542be8

759_img0175.jpeg

Swarming bees can actually be quite docile, as they don't have a permanent nest to protect.

Hand brush a small piece of cardboard? Nah. I'm calling in a professional. Or at least a motivated amateur. I'm not dealing with that myself.

Hand brush a small piece of cardboard? Nah. I'm calling in a professional. Or at least a motivated amateur. I'm not dealing with that myself.

I've seen a beekeeper handling a swarm. Wore the typical outfit, but it didn't seem necessary with no gloves or hood.

Why wouldn't you just get in and drive away? I doubt any could "hang on" for that kind of ride.

You'd be surprised at what insects can hold onto with the hairs on their feet. Once I saw a grasshopper on the outside of a train window, and it stayed on the whole trip (about 100 miles) even at maybe 70 MPH. And then I'd worry about sucking some of them into the intake. Of course I've changed the air filter where I saw bees and moths. And I've had quite a few dead bugs stuck to my WRX intercooler.

I've read about bee's swarming in unlikely places. Even on a traffic light in NYC. The theory is that the hive is on the move, and is only resting, until the lead bee says to get moving. Highly unlikely they will build a hive on a moving vehicle.,,

Why wouldn't you just get in and drive away? I doubt any could "hang on" for that kind of ride.
That's my excuse if the Police pull me over for speeding.
"Officer, there was a grasshopper on my hood and I wanted to see how fast I had to go before he blew off".

or my other excuse,
"Officer, I'm racing my homing pigeon and if you let me go, I think I can still win".

I've read about bee's swarming in unlikely places. Even on a traffic light in NYC. The theory is that the hive is on the move, and is only resting, until the lead bee says to get moving. Highly unlikely they will build a hive on a moving vehicle.,,

Yeah - it's usually a temporary resting spot until they can find something they really like. I've seen swarms and it's pretty obvious that many of the worker bees are scouts searching for an ideal location for a permanent home. A tree branch or the side of a car isn't really ideal for a nest. They generally like something like open eaves or a hole in a tree. But that hood scoop was probably ideal. They have no idea it's a car. To the bees it's just a hole.

bees-nesting-in-subaru-wrx-sti-intercooler-are-not-cool-87646-7.jpg

most those cars are a mystery why the bees would be interested, but the beemer makes total sense.

Back