Beer count!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did a head count of how many bottles of alcohol I have in the house.

101 bottles of beer
3.5 bottles of wine
22 bottles of liquor

I usually don't keep nearly that much beer on hand, but I've gotten a bit backlogged lately. Reasons:
1. I trade beer on another beer forum that I frequent. That's probably 20 or so bottles.
2. I stocked up on Oktoberfest beers while I could still get them. I love Marzen beers, and I refuse to drink Christmas beer (currently on store shelves) until around mid December.
3. I always purchase rare/limited beers while they're still available.
4. I don't drink on weekdays anymore, that only leaves 2-3 days a week to drink beer, many of those times I'm at the pub or out socially.

Anyway, way too many beers/liquors to list but here's a few highlights:

Beer:
Surly Darkness
Westleveren 8
Westleveren 12 (Delicious. Maybe the best beer in the world.)
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2006 and 2007 versions
Stone Ruination IPA
Weyerbacher XIII
New Glarus Unplugged Bohemian Pilsner, Unplugged Berlinner Weisse, Unplugged Smoke on the Porter, Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart
Port Old Viscosity
Tyranena Hop Whore and Rocky's Revenge
Sierra Nevada Hop Harvest 2008
Avery Grand Cru "The Beast" 2007
Three Floyds Behemoth Barleywine
Dieu de Ciele Peche Mortel
Bells Expedition Stout 2007
And many more. If you're a beer geek, you should be drooling by now.

Wine:
Nothing real special. Just some random bottles of red. One is by a Chilean winery called Viu Manent, the wine is Secreto(Secret). Hard to find in the US, good stuff.

Liquor:
Most of the usual. Rum, tequila, bourbon, etc. About 8 types of gin. (My girlfriend loves good gin and martinis)
I did buy a bottle of Macallan 15 year recently, which is super delicious.

So there you have it! Any BITOG beer geeks out there, come over and party sometime!

Bottom shelf of fridge.
IMG_0821.jpg

Kitchen floor. (Also notice the real cane sugar cola, yum!, the Mountain Dew is diet)
IMG_0820.jpg

Wine fridge. (The bottles magically defy gravity)
IMG_0822.jpg

Beer getting ready to be shipped out! (Still needs to be packed)
IMG_0823.jpg

DUDE!!

thumbsup2.gif

I'm real close to you by Forest Lake; may have to bring a beer you don't have (yea, right) or bring a jar of home made Garlic/Dill Pickles over & take you up on that sometime soon...

sauza tequila(a nice smoky aftertaste)
vodka(infused w/ginger)
vodka(infused w/red pepper and garlic)
castillo spiced rum (a hint of vanilla sets off the flavors)
inglenook white zinfadel
2 different malt bev. coolers(the wifes)
old milwaukee(every day/yard work beer)
michelob dunkel weiss (odd banana/clove taste)
last years anchor steam x-mas brew(was not impressed)
abita turbo dog (a dark heavy beer)(guiness w/out the bitterness)

How fresh is the 101 beer bottle stash? Beer is meant to be drunk fresh. Party at AT's to keep it from getting skunky!

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
How fresh is the 101 beer bottle stash? Beer is meant to be drunk fresh. Party at AT's to keep it from getting skunky!

That's not true. Beers under 6-5% ABV, should be had within a 2-3 month window, Beers over 7% ABV can be aged for months/years, easily.

Wow you are the Wasatch! I had no idea! I mean the name well I thought that could be anyone living in Utah near those mountains. The actual Wasatch from BA. Must be some correalation between Oil OCD and beer hoarding!
cheers3.gif

If you keep the brew out of the sunlight and at the right temperature, it will last a long time.
Old Milwaukee for everyday/yard work.....YUCK. Surely there is something better for your "working" brews. Maybe it's just down here, but that brew is absolutely horrid!!!
Bottles....pppffffftttttt....I have all my brews in kegs. Right now I have 4 kegs ready to go and two more in the fermentor.
Here is what's in them: Octoberfest, American Amber, "experimental amber" and a continental Pilsner.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wasatch
That's not true. Beers under 6-5% ABV, should be had within a 2-3 month window, Beers over 7% ABV can be aged for months/years, easily.

I'm a lager fan mysef, so you see where I'm coming from (personal taste, but anything past 7% you can pretty much taste the alcohol IMO, so may as well drink a hard liquor).

How many months do you consider this aging? Years?

Some beers age well. Most do not. Beer is generally best the fresher it is.

Hoppy beers generally do not age well. The fresh hop flavor disappears after awhile. Oxidation is also a problem, beer bottles aren't 100% airtight. While aging the beers need to be kept in the dark at cellar temp (approx 55 degrees F) Some beers actually benefit from hop degradation and oxidation, as strange as it may sound.

Big, heavy, dark beers (imperial stout, barleywine) with high ABV are the typical beers that most people age.

I drank a Christmas beer last year that was bottled in 1996, and it was actually pretty good.

It's all just an experiment, really. It might turn out like chrap, it might turn out great. If I only had ONE bottle of a really rare beer, I would drink it instead of aging it. When it's fresh, you know that it will taste good. After aging, it's a gamble if it will turn out well.

Aged beer: "Consumable curiosities"

When you trade alot, you have no choice in cellaring, LOL I forgot the persons name on BA (maybe BeerBeing), this guy has around 3000 bottles laying around his house, now that's a freakn' lot. He post his spreadsheet. What I will let hang around the most are: Barleywines, Belgian Strong Dark Ales, Russian Imperial Stouts, Wee Heavys, some Double IPAs, Imperial Porters, Grand Crus, American Strong Ales, could be some other's, this is just off the top of my head.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Wow you are the Wasatch! I had no idea! I mean the name well I thought that could be anyone living in Utah near those mountains. The actual Wasatch from BA. Must be some correalation between Oil OCD and beer hoarding!
cheers3.gif

Yeah, it's me, lol Are you also on BA? I'm just so grateful for BA and all the people I've traded with to get so many awesome brew's sent my way.

1 can of Milwaukee's Best
1 can of Miller Light
1 bottle of Saranac Black and Tan
1 bottle of Saranac Black Forest
(both leftover from a trail mix 12 pack)
Summer Beers 12 pack of Saranac waiting to go into the fridge.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Just did a head count of how many bottles of alcohol I have in the house.

101 bottles of beer
3.5 bottles of wine
22 bottles of liquor

I usually don't keep nearly that much beer on hand, but I've gotten a bit backlogged lately. Reasons:
1. I trade beer on another beer forum that I frequent. That's probably 20 or so bottles.
2. I stocked up on Oktoberfest beers while I could still get them. I love Marzen beers, and I refuse to drink Christmas beer (currently on store shelves) until around mid December.
3. I always purchase rare/limited beers while they're still available.
4. I don't drink on weekdays anymore, that only leaves 2-3 days a week to drink beer, many of those times I'm at the pub or out socially.

Anyway, way too many beers/liquors to list but here's a few highlights:

Beer:
Surly Darkness
Westleveren 8
Westleveren 12 (Delicious. Maybe the best beer in the world.)
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2006 and 2007 versions
Stone Ruination IPA
Weyerbacher XIII
New Glarus Unplugged Bohemian Pilsner, Unplugged Berlinner Weisse, Unplugged Smoke on the Porter, Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart
Port Old Viscosity
Tyranena Hop Whore and Rocky's Revenge
Sierra Nevada Hop Harvest 2008
Avery Grand Cru "The Beast" 2007
Three Floyds Behemoth Barleywine
Dieu de Ciele Peche Mortel
Bells Expedition Stout 2007
And many more. If you're a beer geek, you should be drooling by now.

Wine:
Nothing real special. Just some random bottles of red. One is by a Chilean winery called Viu Manent, the wine is Secreto(Secret). Hard to find in the US, good stuff.

Liquor:
Most of the usual. Rum, tequila, bourbon, etc. About 8 types of gin. (My girlfriend loves good gin and martinis)
I did buy a bottle of Macallan 15 year recently, which is super delicious.

So there you have it! Any BITOG beer geeks out there, come over and party sometime!

Sounds like you might have too much affection for alcohol. I would seriously step back and look at this inventory from a new angle.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

Some beers age well. Most do not. Beer is generally best the fresher it is.

Hoppy beers generally do not age well. The fresh hop flavor disappears after awhile. Oxidation is also a problem, beer bottles aren't 100% airtight. While aging the beers need to be kept in the dark at cellar temp (approx 55 degrees F) Some beers actually benefit from hop degradation and oxidation, as strange as it may sound.

Big, heavy, dark beers (imperial stout, barleywine) with high ABV are the typical beers that most people age.

I drank a Christmas beer last year that was bottled in 1996, and it was actually pretty good.

It's all just an experiment, really. It might turn out like chrap, it might turn out great. If I only had ONE bottle of a really rare beer, I would drink it instead of aging it. When it's fresh, you know that it will taste good. After aging, it's a gamble if it will turn out well.

Aged beer: "Consumable curiosities"

I agree, from experience, hoarding beer will lead to disappointment.
two months ago I helped a friend clean out his "beer vault" (fridge) that had beer as old as 10 years. It was all collected with the idea that we'd open in on a special occasion. all of it had been refrigerated the entire time. We opened it...and poured out 90% of it. The only drinkable stuff was high alcohol dark stuff like barley wines and imperial stouts. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is surprisingly good after 10 years.

If you want to keep it around for some special reason just save the bottle, otherwise you are just letting good beer go to waste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back