been using Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 in '06 Jetta TDi OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing a member here do an extensive write up using the TDT 5w-40 Mobil 1 even though it does not have the official VW blessing/rating. I too, have been using it changing it every 5k miles. Am I still good to go with this oil? Any further updates from the poster who used it in his TDI?
I have a 06 PD motor in my Jetta..

Thanks!

Peter

you have more to worry about than oil. Its a vw. bad injectors, seals , and computers to name a few. I hope you extend the warranty! Yes ,the oil is fine.....

No way would I ever chance using anything other than an oil certified by VW to be a 505.01 oil, or the newer 507.XX. Something in the camshaft area of these engines is allegedly prone to failure if these special oils are not used.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
No way would I ever chance using anything other than an oil certified by VW to be a 505.01 oil, or the newer 507.XX. Something in the camshaft area of these engines is allegedly prone to failure if these special oils are not used.

If they are going to fail, they fail even when the correct oils are used.
lol.gif

It has been proven beyond any doubt that CI-4+ and CJ-4 synthetics are fine in PDs. 6 years, hundreds of thousands of miles, maybe over a million in aggregate, numerous UOAs.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

lol.gif

It has been proven beyond any doubt that CI-4+ and CJ-4 synthetics are fine in PDs. 6 years, hundreds of thousands of miles, maybe over a million in aggregate, numerous UOAs.

If my VW was still in warranty, I would be using the required oil just in case of a failure even if other oils were as good or even better. VW would probably require evidence of the correct oil being used in case of warranty repair.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

lol.gif

If my VW was still in warranty, I would be using the required oil just in case of a failure even if other oils were as good or even better. VW would probably require evidence of the correct oil being used in case of warranty repair.

That is correct.

Not many PDs are still under warranty though.

They were only sold in 2004, 05, and 06 weren't they? Didn't they have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain? Over on that VW Diesel website they are warning about using even oils such as Amsoil with the 505.01 on the bottle, saying that it does not have VW approval and good luck on fighting that battle to get a warranty repair.

They were only sold in 2004, 05, and 06 weren't they? Didn't they have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain? Over on that VW Diesel website they are warning about using even oils such as Amsoil with the 505.01 on the bottle, saying that it does not have VW approval and good luck on fighting that battle to get a warranty repair.

Yes, 04 through 06. 5 year, 60K mile powertrain. 10/100 was long long ago.

Yes do not use anything other than VW approved oil unless you want to be your own warranty.

Anybody can say their oil meets or exceeds 505.01 but not approved for use by VW.

Change it every 10k miles unless you really short trip the heck out of it.

TDT does not meet 505.01 so....

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
I remember seeing a member here do an extensive write up using the TDT 5w-40 Mobil 1 even though it does not have the official VW blessing/rating. I too, have been using it changing it every 5k miles. Am I still good to go with this oil? Any further updates from the poster who used it in his TDI?

There is a group of TDI PD owners over at TDI Club who call themselves the TDT Mafia. They are owners of PDs that are out of warranty, so they are only concerned about getting the best protection, not worried about warranties.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 is one of the best oil formulas for any engine, and a good choice for the ALH and PD TDIs. I would not recommend it for any engine still under warranty, and am not prepared to recommend it for the 2009-2010 CR (common-rail) TDIs even after the warranty expires; we still need more information about that engine, and somebody needs to be the guinea pig.

If you live in a state with Pep Boys stores, then you have access to both Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. They are both excellent oils and priced at around $6.99/liter, the same as most other Mobil 1 oils. But I am not going to say that they are better than TDT -- only that they are another option if someone decides to go that way.

NAPA and CarQuest might have these other M1 products in their warehouses, so you can inquire if there's no Pep Boys nearby.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

While I agree sometimes blindly following VW's recommendations isn't always good, sometimes it is prudent.

Originally Posted By: chad8
you have more to worry about than oil. Its a vw. bad injectors, seals , and computers to name a few. I hope you extend the warranty! Yes ,the oil is fine.....

None of these things have been issues with the vw pd's.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Yes do not use anything other than VW approved oil unless you want to be your own warranty.

Anybody can say their oil meets or exceeds 505.01 but not approved for use by VW.

TDT IS on the approved oils list for 505.01:
http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

Listed as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel

I believe TDT is ESP. Search the MSDS for TDT and you get TDT and ESP in the results (only 2 results).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UTSI

TDT IS on the approved oils list for 505.01:
http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

Listed as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel

I believe TDT is ESP. Search the MSDS for TDT and you get TDT and ESP in the results (only 2 results).

That's not the same oil.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (in the US, an API truck oil) is not the same as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel (the rest of the world, a Euro oil).

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

...so USE IT!
mad.gif

Anybody who's done any research at all into the PD cam issue can tell you any modern CJ-4 5w40 synthetic oil typically runs rings around any VW-spec lubricant in these engines. Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 has shown to be an absolutely stellar oil for PD engines thru UOA and actual cam/lifter inspections.

I have a dog in this hunt, as my 2006 Golf has the PD engine (BEW - it was used in the mk4 cars, which is different than the mk5 BRM engine) and my own UOAs have shown that Schaeffer 9000 5w40 works at least as well in my engine, for a lot less cost.

Scads of PD owners on TDIClub are using TDT, a few using S9000, Amsoil DEO, SRT6 and probably Valvoline PBE. Use any modern 5w40 CJ-4 synthetic oil with confidence.

And the hilarious part about following the warranty requirements with that silly idea of 505.01 lubricants? The best you'd get would be VW stealership 'service' department work.
crackmeup2.gif
They'll break more things than they'll fix!

Originally Posted By: scurvy

...so USE IT!
mad.gif

Anybody who's done any research at all into the PD cam issue can tell you any modern CJ-4 5w40 synthetic oil typically runs rings around any VW-spec lubricant in these engines. Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 has shown to be an absolutely stellar oil for PD engines thru UOA and actual cam/lifter inspections.

I have a dog in this hunt, as my 2006 Golf has the PD engine (BEW - it was used in the mk4 cars, which is different than the mk5 BRM engine) and my own UOAs have shown that Schaeffer 9000 5w40 works at least as well in my engine, for a lot less cost.

Scads of PD owners on TDIClub are using TDT, a few using S9000, Amsoil DEO, SRT6 and probably Valvoline PBE. Use any modern 5w40 CJ-4 synthetic oil with confidence.

And the hilarious part about following the warranty requirements with that silly idea of 505.01 lubricants? The best you'd get would be VW stealership 'service' department work.
crackmeup2.gif
They'll break more things than they'll fix!

Wow, you sure sing a different tune from a few years ago when you were Mr. "505.01 is the ONLY oil than can be used and you are all fools and your engines are going to blow up and look at my cam pics showing that 505.01 is the only oil specially formulated for these cams?!" on TDIclub... why the complete change of heart?

Anyways, mobil 1 TDT gave me the best UOA results when I owned a PD. 507.00 ELF gave me abhorrent results.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel

Once the engine is out of warranty, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 should be fine in any VW TDI. We don't really know about the newest engines, the common-rail models, but certainly TDT is fine for the earlier models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back