been getting a "flash" front and rear when taking the bridge home from work (E-ZPass lane)

I received a letter last year that my style of iPass from 2012 (same as EZ Pass) that @y_p_w posted was not supported after Dec 2022. This might have applied to you as well but since you requested a new one, you should be good.

when My brother lived in DFW, i got a Toll Tag - their system is one using the passive stickers, no batteries of bulky boxes - it was interoperable with the systems in OK, and KS.
The TX system, there are multiple authorities over diff parts of the state, but they all interoperate -
there are no toll plazas. just gantries over the highway every few miles. if it doesn't read a transponder on your vehicle, it snaps a pic of your license plate, and you'll eventually get a bill in the mail. (mom and dad went on one of those stretches without a transponder, it took 6 months, but they eventually got the bill in the mail up here in OH)

I should have kept it when he moved back up here, cuz a year later, my buddies little brother went into the army, and had basic at Ft. Sill, OK. OK is crawling with tollways. so instead of having to stop every few miles across OK, I ordered one of their stickers - pike pass - loaded up enough for the trip on to it, and after that trip was over, closed the account.

in case anyone was wondering how effective those non powered types are.. Hennesy tested the system on a new un opened stretch of tollway, in cooperation with the Dept. Public Saftey and the Toll authority, in one of their hopped up corvettes.. passed through the readers at 200.6 mph, with a successful read of the tag. it also successfully captured an image of the License plate..

when My brother lived in DFW, i got a Toll Tag - their system is one using the passive stickers, no batteries of bulky boxes - it was interoperable with the systems in OK, and KS.
The TX system, there are multiple authorities over diff parts of the state, but they all interoperate -
there are no toll plazas. just gantries over the highway every few miles. if it doesn't read a transponder on your vehicle, it snaps a pic of your license plate, and you'll eventually get a bill in the mail. (mom and dad went on one of those stretches without a transponder, it took 6 months, but they eventually got the bill in the mail up here in OH)

I should have kept it when he moved back up here, cuz a year later, my buddies little brother went into the army, and had basic at Ft. Sill, OK. OK is crawling with tollways. so instead of having to stop every few miles across OK, I ordered one of their stickers - pike pass - loaded up enough for the trip on to it, and after that trip was over, closed the account.

in case anyone was wondering how effective those non powered types are.. Hennesy tested the system on a new un opened stretch of tollway, in cooperation with the Dept. Public Saftey and the Toll authority, in one of their hopped up corvettes.. passed through the readers at 200.6 mph, with a successful read of the tag. it also successfully captured an image of the License plate..

Where I live it would seem having blacked out windows and an unreadable license plate (be it layer peeled away or just covering it with a black cover) is popular. Wonder if tolling systems can deal with it or they just pass the costs on to everyone else.

I just kept on getting debited weeks later as a license plate check. Never got any messages about whether or not I should get it replaced. We also had two transponders and all our cars were registered.
That was my clue also that my battery was dead..... Tolls which used to show up on the account the same day were now taking several weeks to appear. I probably wouldn't even have noticed were it not for the toll gate at the Chicago Skyway bridge repeatedly no longer working with my tag. I live in Illinois but I have an Indiana transponder so maybe there is some communication between the two agencies I am not seeing.

We've got a single system in California across maybe 4-5 different agencies. E-ZPass is operating across 21 states. A unified system isn't insurmountable.

I've been out of the test lab industry for over 4 years now, however, towards the end of my tenure, there was a huge project associated with a harmonized tolling system. It was complicated on many levels. IIRC, it wasn't necessarily about having one brand of toll pass, but about having all of the toll passes communicate in the same way so that you could take your EZPass to Georgia (Peach Pass) or Florida (SunPass).

It had been going on for a couple years when I left, so I'd say we're due for full implementation about 2040 ;)

I had my transponder fail it would read "no tag as I went through the toll booth" I called EZ pass to swap it out being the honest citizen I am. I was told I am not due for replacement and it would cost $10 for a new pass! Needless to say I declined, they can read my plate to get the toll as it is on my ez pass account.

I've been out of the test lab industry for over 4 years now, however, towards the end of my tenure, there was a huge project associated with a harmonized tolling system. It was complicated on many levels. IIRC, it wasn't necessarily about having one brand of toll pass, but about having all of the toll passes communicate in the same way so that you could take your EZPass to Georgia (Peach Pass) or Florida (SunPass).

It had been going on for a couple years when I left, so I'd say we're due for full implementation about 2040 ;)
We have some software licenses we bought at work and it's deployed across over 5k devices. Expiration is the year 2500.

I made a joke, someone, someday, is going to have a nightmare on their hands and probably be upset with us :ROFLMAO:

I had my transponder fail it would read "no tag as I went through the toll booth" I called EZ pass to swap it out being the honest citizen I am. I was told I am not due for replacement and it would cost $10 for a new pass! Needless to say I declined, they can read my plate to get the toll as it is on my ez pass account.
This made my day. (and is similar to me being told I never returned a tag and I had to pay for it)

That was my clue also that my battery was dead..... Tolls which used to show up on the account the same day were now taking several weeks to appear. I probably wouldn't even have noticed were it not for the toll gate at the Chicago Skyway bridge repeatedly no longer working with my tag. I live in Illinois but I have an Indiana transponder so maybe there is some communication between the two agencies I am not seeing.

Depends on the setup I guess. We use a different system (FasTrak) in California. I looked up the info, and they’re issued by 6 different sources with a dozen toll agencies. It takes weeks even with my local transponder with a local agency.

The high speed ones around here say 55 MPH. I’ll just say I’ve tested it out a bit faster than that.

The high speed ones around here say 55 MPH. I’ll just say I’ve tested it out a bit faster than that.
Our high speed ones are 65, I’ve personally witnessed individuals going far in excess.

The test protocol in the lab was at least 85mph iirc but I don’t know what ezpass tests to.

Our high speed ones are 65, I’ve personally witnessed individuals going far in excess.

The test protocol in the lab was at least 85mph iirc but I don’t know what ezpass tests to.

Obviously these are being in various applications. I think the toll lanes are usually on 65 MPH lanes. But in many cases the toll varies depending on the number of occupants, and in some cases require a toll transponder with a switch for the number of occupants. Bridges are another matter. Through toll booths there's typically a 25 MPH speed limit, but I've gone faster than that. But some of our toll bridges have transponder only lanes at the speed limit, or HOV lanes where one can really go fast. But I remember back when toll booths has human toll takers. A few times I found that it might be faster than using a transponder only lane. So I kept my window close, made sure the transponder was on my dash, and just drove through. The toll takers wouldn't even bat an eye. They must have heard an audible signal every time someone with a transponder drove through.

I've also had some weird ones like the time I let my account lapse after my only registered credit card had expired and I hadn't updated it. I didn't see the mail notice but later checked my account and found they were threatening to send it to collections. So I set up my new credit card expiration date and CVV, and then found all the past tolls and a standard ($25) recharge were charged. But no penalties.

The Illinois I-Pass seems to work fine all the way out to the east coast, I haven’t found anywhere that it does not.

The Illinois I-Pass seems to work fine all the way out to the east coast, I haven’t found anywhere that it does not.
They won't work on the "E-470" toll road in Colorado. This is according to my brother that lives there but has to mount his Illinois transponder any times he drive back home to IL because they are not compatible.

They won't work on the "E-470" toll road in Colorado. This is according to my brother that lives there but has to mount his Illinois transponder any times he drive back home to IL because they are not compatible.
Yeah I wouldn't know, I only go east as I noted. Washington DC, New York, Boston, etc. Here is their compatibility map:

EZPass-MN-map_0721.jpg

They're phasing out the transponders. They'll take a pic of your license plate and debit your ez pass account or mail a bill.

I'm kind of wondering if we'll ever get a national toll system. I guess E-ZPass is the closest thing to it. Not quite sure how it works with E-ZPass in Florida, where I've read they've integrated the systems together.

Or, you know the government could just maintain the roads like they are supposed to with all the money they already take from us, cause you know....it's one of the basic "services" we're told they are for. LOL What's next, if I call the cops to grab an intruder at my house will they send me a bill? Ridiculous.

The difference is unless they have changed in the last couple years CO just sends you a bill for your charges (you just don't get the discount for having the pass). Kansas has old school toll booths still and I travel through there enough for track events I got the tag just to save diesel from having to stop and get rolling again plus the time waste. I was in IL last year visiting my dad, morons sent me a bill and a FINE, saying I was in violation for not having some "tag" for a state I don't live in. There were no toll booths to use instead, no signs saying pull over immediately and try to figure out a complex system to register your car before driving further or we will steal more money. Way to rip people off and encourage tourism IL :rolleyes:

Or, you know the government could just maintain the roads like they are supposed to with all the money they already take from us, cause you know....it's one of the basic "services" we're told they are for. LOL What's next, if I call the cops to grab an intruder at my house will they send me a bill? Ridiculous.

My dad has a slip and fall in the backyard and when my mom called for help it was a contract service (AMR) from the county fire department. While they were subsidized by the county, they still got a bill.

Back